CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Same problem AGAIN. Service Traction Control (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/4174679-same-problem-again-service-traction-control.html)

Daverm 08-09-2018 09:52 PM

Same problem AGAIN. Service Traction Control

Update from my last post on 7/2/18. Dealer found:: Replaced throttle body connector pig tail. Reason: Performed pin fit and found terminal E and F have poor fit pin tension.
Today less then 500 miles since I brought it home from the dealer.... Service Traction Control - Reduced engine power.along with the check engine light.

From what I've read in the forums as possible causes:
1. Weak battery
2. Steering wheel position sensor
3. ABS sensor
4. Wheel speed sensor
5. Throttle body connector pig tail (Replaced)

Am I missing anything? It's going back to the dealer tomorrow.

2005 C6 6 speed manual, 25,000 miles

madmatt9471 08-10-2018 08:49 AM

The "Codes" are?

Once you have read the codes it will tell the story of what might be going on, other than that it is really difficult to guess at what might or might not be the issue.

Can you scan/read the codes and post them here?

Thanks,Matt

Daverm 08-10-2018 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by madmatt9471 (Post 1597764927)
The "Codes" are?

Once you have read the codes it will tell the story of what might be going on, other than that it is really difficult to guess at what might or might not be the issue.

Can you scan/read the codes and post them here?

Thanks,Matt

Thanks Matt,

I'll post the codes as soon as I get them. Off to the dealer now.

Daverm 08-10-2018 04:44 PM

Just heard back from the dealer and now they are suggesting I replace the throttle body even though they can't find anything wrong with it. $1100 and no guarantee that will fix it. I say give me the car back and I'll look into diagnosing a faulty throttle body to confirm that is the problem.

I'll open it up to others here for their 2 cents.

madmatt9471 08-10-2018 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Daverm (Post 1597768175)
Just heard back from the dealer and now they are suggesting I replace the throttle body even though they can't find anything wrong with it. $1100 and no guarantee that will fix it. I say give me the car back and I'll look into diagnosing a faulty throttle body to confirm that is the problem.

I'll open it up to others here for their 2 cents.

Generally they will give you the paperwork with a full explanation and codes on it too (hopefully)

Post the codes, if after they diagnosed it and it truly is a TB then you can get a new one and install it yourself and much cheaper.

I fixed my friends '08 silver blade TB and throttle pedal (codes showed the issue)

Both are fairly inexpensive and took care of the issue. But we need your codes.

Thanks, Matt

Daverm 08-10-2018 05:41 PM

I'm out of town for the weekend and I'll pick up the car Monday AM. I post a pdf of the the codes and report right after.

Thanks!

Got uid0 08-10-2018 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Daverm (Post 1597768502)
I'm out of town for the weekend and I'll pick up the car Monday AM. I post a pdf of the the codes and report right after.

Thanks!

Are you getting the DTC for the steering wheel position sensor? The part costs 4 dollars if that is the case.

The TSB is 06.02.35.002B

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/200...056-31583P.pdf

Did they hook up a techII and see if they are getting speed readings from the speed sensors to rule that out?

I had your symptoms and it turned out to be a bad front wheel speed sensor. The rings go out of alignment and cause bad readings.

I would also check all the cables and pins on the brakes.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1573340784

Daverm 08-10-2018 08:31 PM

I mentioned that when I brought the car In today and they seemed to just push it aside. I even showed the service writer the TSB and was expecting that would have been replaced. Since they did not do it maybe I need to find another dealer that listens to their customer.

Any Twin Cities owners have suggestions for a dealer that "gets it" and really knows our vetts and the unique issues we encounter?

Got uid0 08-11-2018 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Daverm (Post 1597769444)
I mentioned that when I brought the car In today and they seemed to just push it aside. I even showed the service writer the TSB and was expecting that would have been replaced. Since they did not do it maybe I need to find another dealer that listens to their customer.

Any Twin Cities owners have suggestions for a dealer that "gets it" and really knows our vetts and the unique issues we encounter?

seems like they just want to tax you instead of troubleshoot. Makes no sense to me with the 1100 job and part they want to replace for no reason other than make a buck off a corvette owner.

If they do not provide the DTC's you can buy your own tech2 clone and figure out what is really going on

Daverm 08-13-2018 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a PDF of the service write up. (Almost embarrassed at the 55 mph...Would have been much higher if it happen the week before.)

They basically told me today that "it could be" the throttle body but because it's so intermittent advised to take a wait and see approach. Interesting that a fault with the throttle body would trigger the traction control service.

Plenty of good advice here on the forum for this problem. I think I try these steps first and if I get the same code, then on to the next one

1. Remove TB and clean
2. Recheck all connections between the TPS and TB
3. Replace TPS at pedal
4. Replace TB.

madmatt9471 08-13-2018 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Daverm (Post 1597782486)
Here's a PDF of the service write up. (Almost embarrassed at the 55 mph...Would have been much higher if it happen the week before.)

They basically told me today that "it could be" the throttle body but because it's so intermittent advised to take a wait and see approach. Interesting that a fault with the throttle body would trigger the traction control service.

Plenty of good advice here on the forum for this problem. I think I try these steps first and if I get the same code, then on to the next one

1. Remove TB and clean
2. Recheck all connections between the TPS and TB
3. Replace TPS at pedal
4. Replace TB.

Okay I looked it over and it looks like you might have your #3 and #4 mixed up in order of repair - the correlation issue, according to their tests, are coming from the TB and not the Throttle Pedal, although the T/P is less expensive to replace it appears your issue is in the TPS which resides in the TB itself (you can have it rebuilt, but I would suggest that you purchase new, in the long run it's much better)

Just cleaning the TB probably will not net you anything but a clean TB.

The TPS at the the throttle peadal is part of the pedal so you will purchase the whole thing, pedal with the sensor attached.

Thanks,Matt

Daverm 08-13-2018 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by madmatt9471 (Post 1597785240)
Okay I looked it over and it looks like you might have your #3 and #4 mixed up in order of repair - the correlation issue, according to their tests, are coming from the TB and not the Throttle Pedal, although the T/P is less expensive to replace it appears your issue is in the TPS which resides in the TB itself (you can have it rebuilt, but I would suggest that you purchase new, in the long run it's much better)

Just cleaning the TB probably will not net you anything but a clean TB.

The TPS at the the throttle peadal is part of the pedal so you will purchase the whole thing, pedal with the sensor attached.

Thanks,Matt

Thanks Matt for you help on this!!

What I've learned from having a 500 hp motorcycle is you don't try to be penny wise and dollar foolish. If I need a throttle body, get one and install it. Keep the fingers crossed that takes care of the problem. Some of the TB replacements are much more reasonable then the dealer and the swap out is very very easy. There seems to be a couple schools of though on re-flashing the ECM at the dealer. Yes or no??

What about aftermarket TB... Go with the AC Delco or is there something else from one of the Corvette part houses? Trying to stay as close as stock as I can.

Again...Thanks for the help!!

Cherokee Nation 08-14-2018 12:35 AM

How would a bad throttle body trigger the "Service Traction Control Message"?......:confused2:

Jfryjfry 08-14-2018 05:42 AM

Check spark plug wires and the connections on either end. They can cause same symptom

Unreal 08-14-2018 10:35 AM

You can get a TB for ~$150 and swap it in 15 minutes with a 10mm wrench. Super easy and paying $1100 for such a simple job is getting bent over with no lube. Stay away from dealers unless it is warranty work, as all they want to do is squeeze you dry. Find a good local corvette shop.

madmatt9471 08-14-2018 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Daverm (Post 1597786489)
Thanks Matt for you help on this!!

What I've learned from having a 500 hp motorcycle is you don't try to be penny wise and dollar foolish. If I need a throttle body, get one and install it. Keep the fingers crossed that takes care of the problem. Some of the TB replacements are much more reasonable then the dealer and the swap out is very very easy. There seems to be a couple schools of though on re-flashing the ECM at the dealer. Yes or no??

What about aftermarket TB... Go with the AC Delco or is there something else from one of the Corvette part houses? Trying to stay as close as stock as I can.

Again...Thanks for the help!!

Rockauto is a good source for a new TB and if needed a Throttle Pedal, that is where we purchased my buddies for his '08 (I also purchase other parts from them) or you can source Amazon, especially if you have Amazon Prime.

If you are going to exchange yours for a $150.00 for a ported one, or rebuilt one, then remember that you have to leave a core charge so that they will ensure the one you sent is not defective and gets passed on to someone else.

Thanks, Matt

Daverm 08-14-2018 04:16 PM

Saw that Rockauto has one for the best price. Summit Racing too.

Cherokee Nation 08-15-2018 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Daverm (Post 1597791393)
Saw that Rockauto has one for the best price. Summit Racing too.

Get a Vmax TB.When i put one on my 08 i paid $150 with a core charge.It does not add more HP but much better throttle response takes the lag out.