CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Reserve Why (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4174759-reserve-why.html)

fake 08-10-2018 08:28 AM

Reserve Why

I am looking at C4 vettes that are showing reserve on there fuel gauge. Why would you scvange off the bottom of the tank all the crud? When i see cars like that on line i just delete them, it just shows lack of care or no knowlege of how they are affecting mechanical operation of car

PatternDayTrader 08-10-2018 08:56 AM

Lol .... whatever I guess.

QCVette 08-10-2018 09:03 AM

The pump always pulls from the bottom of the tank regardless of the fuel level in it.

PatternDayTrader 08-10-2018 09:57 AM

I think the sock on the pump actually touches the bottom.

jv9999 08-10-2018 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader (Post 1597765354)
I think the sock on the pump actually touches the bottom.

That's why there is a sock and a filter.

Cruisinfanatic 08-10-2018 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by fake (Post 1597764812)
I am looking at C4 vettes that are showing reserve on there fuel gauge. Why would you scvange off the bottom of the tank all the crud? When i see cars like that on line i just delete them, it just shows lack of care or no knowlege of how they are affecting mechanical operation of car

You don't know what you are talking about

Aerovette 08-10-2018 10:41 AM

*their

Tom400CFI 08-10-2018 10:51 AM

I am looking at C4 vettes that are showing reserve on there fuel gauge. Why would you scvange off the bottom of the tank all the crud?.... it just shows lack of care or no knowlege of how they are affecting mechanical operation of car

LOL is right. This, folks, is "Worryin' about shit that ain't worth worryin' about". :lol:

sstonebreaker 08-10-2018 10:52 AM

Are C4 fuel tanks metal or plastic? My 96 impala's tank was plastic, I would think the vette would be the first to get the upgrade.

fake 08-10-2018 12:47 PM

Why suck the sock or what ever so it loads up with debrie I guess the crap flows on top and when you run on low fuel this does not get sucked in to your fuel filter and than to your injectors or carb.

Aerovette 08-10-2018 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by fake (Post 1597766594)
Why suck the sock or what ever so it loads up with debris I guess the crap flows on top and when you run on low fuel this does not get sucked in to your fuel filter and than to your injectors or carb.

Why pass up a great purchase because it is low on fuel?

How do you know the ones without their reserve light lit, have NEVER been low on fuel?

Perhaps (doubtful) your debris logic is sound, your selection process is horribly flawed.

sstonebreaker 08-10-2018 01:00 PM

Here's a thought: Modern gas with its ehtanol content DOES NOT age well. It absorbs water and corrodes parts because of it. By keeping the minimum amount of gas in their cars, these owners are minimizing the amount of water that gets absorbed into the gas and thus MINIMIZING fuel system corrosion. The ones with the fuel gauge on reserve are the smart ones, not the dumb ones.

Hot Rod Roy 08-10-2018 02:02 PM

This is one strange topic. When I look into the 34 year old fuel tank (it's metal, by the way) of my '84 Corvette, I can't see ANY "crud". The "Reserve" marking on the gauge of later 'vettes doesn't change anything about the fuel tank. That's just a mark on the gauge to let you know you're getting low on fuel! As if drivers of the later cars can't tell they're getting low on fuel? Maybe '84-? drivers are smarter than the drivers of later model Corvettes? :D When did they add the "Reserve" indicator on the gauge?

LittleBlueCoupe 08-10-2018 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by jv9999 (Post 1597765553)
That's why there is a sock and a filter.

Exactly...

ctmccloskey 08-10-2018 02:42 PM

Being a private pilot as well as a avid Corvette owner I was taught to keep the fuel tank full so it doesn't get condensation in it as easily. On my cars that were made before Ethanol I add treatment for storing the fuel longer than 30 days. When driving regularly they don't need it but when they sit you treat the fuel. I like "Stable" the common gas storage treatment, I put in before the gas and it works great. We have to drive close to fifty miles to get gasoline without the 10% ethanol, and the funny part is they charge more for pure gas than gasoline with the expensive Corn alcohol added to it.

I have a new Holley "HydraMat" in my fuel tank on my C4. This way your engine always has fuel (If it is in the fuel tank) and these are the listed benefits that Holley makes at their website:
  • Fuel reservoir system designed to reduce fuel starvation issues present in hard cornering, acceleration, stopping, inclines, and low fuel conditions
  • Available in various shapes and sizes for installation in stock fuel tanks and/or racing fuel cells
  • Patent pending design that solves the problems associated with traditional fuel pick-ups in stock fuel tanks as well as racing fuel cells
  • Greatly reduces the potential for air to enter into the fuel system which can result in poor engine performance and/or engine stalling
  • Perfect for vehicles experiencing fuel starvation during hard cornering, acceleration, stopping, inclines, and low fuel conditions
  • Surface tension and fluid wicking allow the HydraMat™ to continue to draw fuel from the tank or cell even when part of the mat uncovered
  • As an area of the HydraMat™ is uncovered, tiny pores in the media seal off through surface tension, forcing fuel to be drawn from other areas of the mat where fuel continues to be available
  • Unique internal reservoir assists in keeping fuel available at the pickup even under extreme fuel slosh conditions
  • Eliminates the need for specialty reservoirs, sumps and pick up pumps saving cost and greatly reducing complexity
  • Also acts as a 15 micron pre-filter eliminating the need for a separate filter before the fuel pump
  • Can be folded and compressed for easy installation through a variety of fuel cell openings
For $160 you can have the basic size that worked on the C4. It is an awesome (but EXPENSIVE) part that is a giant improvement over the stock "sock" that GM used. I am getting ready to buy some for my C3 and switch it over as well.

If you really don't want to get junk in your gasoline don't ever buy gasoline while they are filling the tanks from the Gasoline delivery truck..... I only buy gas from Sunoco and have never had an issue with any fuel caused problems. Being as I am I also like keeping the cars full as much as possible, my Wife and Son both watch the count down to less than 10 miles left before they worry about getting gas.

Good Luck with your Corvette and stop worrying about what is at the bottom of your tank. Just keep it full of quality gasoline so there is no place for condensation to occur.

383vett 08-10-2018 04:11 PM

First the op was worried about the “crud” on the bottom of the tank. When informed that the pump sucks from the bottom, he is now worried about the crud floating on top. Maybe he should ride a bike.

DGXR 08-10-2018 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker (Post 1597766672)
Here's a thought: Modern gas with its ehtanol content DOES NOT age well. It absorbs water and corrodes parts because of it. By keeping the minimum amount of gas in their cars, these owners are minimizing the amount of water that gets absorbed into the gas and thus MINIMIZING fuel system corrosion. The ones with the fuel gauge on reserve are the smart ones, not the dumb ones.

A low fuel level would create more potential for condensation of humidity, resulting in more water entering the fuel.
My thoughts on the topic: First I would ask about the low fuel level and hope for a plausible explanation. If I had to make an assumption based only on a low fuel level, it would indicate to me that the seller/owner is regularly putting fresh fuel in the tank, small amounts each time. And if I bought the car, I would ask that they fill the tank before I take possession (after negotiations concluded, of course).

rblakeney 08-13-2018 09:54 PM

Recently changed the fuel pump on my 89 with 60k miles. Tank was pristine. The liner was showing the typical signs of bulging.
I'm feeling the sludge in the tank thing is some kind of hold over from the 50s or something.

larry_c4 08-13-2018 10:01 PM

Maybe the sending unit is bad and it causes the car to always read empty. Mine was like that for a while.

toddbvanslyke 08-14-2018 08:29 AM

Reserve?

That's worrying about something not worth worrying about. You're showing no understanding of how the fueling system works, where fuel pump/components are even located on your car. Suggest you read up on how this stuff works and why it works.