CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   C8.R packs in flat-plane V8 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4174779-c8-r-packs-in-flat-plane-v8.html)

King Dranzer 08-10-2018 09:18 AM

C8.R packs in flat-plane V8

With the leaked audio clip C8.R sound in which the engine sounds smooth and deep. It can most-probably be result of Flat-Plane crank. First I thought it was due to implementation of Turbos, but turbos cannot make Corvette Cross-plane V8 sound like that nor can exhaust system. Yes I realize that it is not official but the audio clip of the C8.R sound make it sound more like European V8 and only deduction for it can be inclusion of flat-plane crank instead of cross-plane.

Audio Clip of C8.R:
https://sportscar365.com/industry/au...-turbo-engine/

Finally Chevrolet decides to drop in Flat-plane V8 in Corvette. Never thought they will drop it in so soon. This video makes my point even strong.

Sound of C8:

This video makes my point of it being FPC V8 even strong.

Latest Reveal Possibly a Hint:

This video at 6:04Min and 6:34Min makes my feeling about it being FPC even stronger

C8-R Sound on Track:

Sounds lot different than traditional American V8.

Corvette C8 Lineup to have Flat-Plane-Crank and Hybrid System up the Line
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...hybrid-engine/

Corvette C8-R Teaser:

Now the only thing is for the Chevrolet to officially announce the specs. I am 100% sure it is FPC V8 and not V6 or Turbo V8 with some special exhaust.

Johnsrx7 08-10-2018 09:40 AM

I love the sound of the engine.

FrankLP 08-10-2018 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Johnsrx7
I love the sound of the engine.

:iagree:

OKsweetrides 08-10-2018 11:08 AM

Sounds like a higher displacement 488, but engine design an header arrangement could play games on that. Would be interested if they go a DCT route or not for a street car based on the blip shifts in the video.

tomlink 08-10-2018 11:19 AM

Wow, an American Ferrari :cool:

likeaboss 08-10-2018 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by tomlink (Post 1597765932)
Wow, an American Ferrari :cool:

That's called a Shelby GT350 since Ford did it first. I am a little concerned about the move to the FPC because in the case of said Ford it was the least mod friendly Mustang to date.

ColoradoGS 08-10-2018 12:26 PM

In terms of the sound of a flat plane vs a traditional V8 I always found this interesting:

King Dranzer 08-10-2018 01:54 PM

ME + FPC + Turbo. I think Chevrolet wanna change the image of Corvette completely with C8.R

sunsalem 08-10-2018 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by likeaboss (Post 1597766091)
That's called a Shelby GT350 since Ford did it first. I am a little concerned about the move to the FPC because in the case of said Ford it was the least mod friendly Mustang to date.

Yes, they did do it first.
But from what I have been reading recently about oil burning and engine grenading, I'm not so sure they have mastered it yet...

WhiteDiamond 08-10-2018 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by sunsalem (Post 1597767968)
But from what I have been reading recently about oil burning and engine grenading, I'm not so sure they have mastered it yet...

Well, this would be a first for GM as well. Ford is well over the conventional displacement ideals for a FPC, they used a single intake which takes away the typical scream of a Euro FPC, and then there are the issues Ford ran into.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for GM to go this route on a performance only engine, but I somehow don't believe it. Unless GM is going to share this FPC engine, in basic form, with another platform(s), it brings the unit price up with the low production Vette being the only customer.

64drvr 08-10-2018 09:46 PM

Sounds like a v6 to me. Very similar to the current ford gt gtlm.

NineVettes 08-11-2018 12:05 AM

Yep

Originally Posted by sunsalem (Post 1597767968)

I have one, and I can attest to mounting concerns of many who either have one or who are thinking about buying one. My first....and last Ford. Looking at '19 Z06's now. Another thing about these high revving overhead cam motors is that they don't have the low RPM torque Corvette owners are used to. In the Shelby, really need get well into the 3 grand RPM range before "wake up time." Glorious exhaust notes, fun at the higher RPMs, but something small block Corvette owners are not used to, and frankly, much more suited to track than street. Also, IMHO 5.2 liters just too big for the FPC, massive vibrations issues that Ford had to deal with besides the other problems...

pietro c7 08-11-2018 12:10 AM

Sounds like a race car engine to me,

Nothing I’m really interested in owning.
The Street car will sound nothing like it .

King Dranzer 08-11-2018 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by lrobe22 (Post 1597769855)

Nope that is not sound of V6. You can notice obvious difference in its high note when compared to high note of any V6 as it is much more deep, elevated, loud and less screechy.

64drvr 08-11-2018 05:01 AM

AORoads 08-11-2018 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by NineVettes (Post 1597770455)
I have one, and I can attest to mounting concerns of many who either have one or who are thinking about buying one. My first....and last Ford. Looking at '19 Z06's now. Another thing about these high revving overhead cam motors is that they don't have the low RPM torque Corvette owners are used to. In the Shelby, really need get well into the 3 grand RPM range before "wake up time." Glorious exhaust notes, fun at the higher RPMs, but something small block Corvette owners are not used to, and frankly, much more suited to track than street. Also, IMHO 5.2 liters just too big for the FPC, massive vibrations issues that Ford had to deal with besides the other problems...

As the guy said in the MT vid, his comment was seemed to be nothing below 3500 rpm and then hold on. That would remind me of some ancient street turbos (not the more modern ones, of course). Still, if Chev can solve the lifespan and low end torque/power, it would be a winner.

KnightDriveTV 08-11-2018 12:39 PM

The 2019 Silverado 4cyl will make 349 ft/lbs from 1500rpm to 4k rpm...torque production won't be a problem, when combined with an engine redesign. I built huge power 4 cylinder engines when I owned 2 shops in the late 2000's...even with large volume, heavily modified systems, using properly sized Garrett ball bearing chra's I could produce torque onset well under 3k rpm. I highly suspect they will use cam phasing in the new dohc heads, which will create cam advance at low rpm and overlap variations to increase exhaust velocity. I'd also suspect some type of divided housing turbo. Torque definitely will not be a problem.

As for those Ford GT's....easily the worst sounding cars in the entire weathertech/wec...lol.

WhiteDiamond 08-12-2018 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by lrobe22 (Post 1597769855)

No way that is a V6. Sound from that Ford GT vid posted is VERY different as well. I'm not in agreement with the FPC belief either, but the sound of the Corvette based car is incredible. I almost hope GM puts an option on the sheet that allows for such a scream at the higher RPM levels........

King Dranzer 08-12-2018 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond (Post 1597775605)
No way that is a V6. Sound from that Ford GT vid posted is VERY different as well. I'm not in agreement with the FPC belief either, but the sound of the Corvette based car is incredible. I almost hope GM puts an option on the sheet that allows for such a scream at the higher RPM levels........

At first I also ruled out the engine being FPC. But after listening to audio clip multiple times I cannot think of any other way to make engine sound that smooth. Simply exhaust cannot make it sound like that. If you have any other theory on how the engine is sounding like that then please explain it.

johnnystock 08-12-2018 03:39 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f4afc8b954.png
This LS7 Passat sounds like nothing else with just custom headers. You would never know its an LS with the hood closed.

https://youtu.be/Qq8zEJHWT7g

Take time to listen to this. Just the new ME exhaust configuration can change a lot of things.