CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Rear tire wear (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4175242-rear-tire-wear.html)

AJay 08-11-2018 12:43 PM

Rear tire wear

I do mostly Interstate driving and my car is always smooth as glass. Yesterday I noticed an unusual vibration that felt like a rear tire is out of balance. Today I got under it and found this on the inside rear tire on the passenger side. The car has 13500 miles on it. Never tracked, always babied. Any thoughts as to whats going on? I am scheduling in to my dealer for service this coming week.https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1251d290e7.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...7fbcc71133.jpg

rwheelz 08-11-2018 02:44 PM

Your alignment is off. It is an easy fix, but those tires will have to replaced immediately.

Mr. Gizmo 08-11-2018 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by rwheelz (Post 1597772826)
Your alignment is off. It is an easy fix, but those tires will have to replaced immediately.

yep. Op needs a street alignment. You get one alignment within the first couple thousand miles free under the warranty program. 13k miles is pretty good. With a street alignment looking at the op’s Tires. I bet a set of the factory issue Michelin’s would go near 20 maybe 25k miles

AZGASSER 08-11-2018 05:06 PM

Mine looked like that at about 14,000 miles. Took it to the dealer who agreed the alignment was off however GM would only realign at less than 7500 miles. New tires and an alignment are needed for you my friend.

AJay 08-11-2018 05:17 PM

Thanks for the replies.
Guess I'm going to have the opportunity to spend some of my hard earned money :(

fpfaeth 08-11-2018 08:56 PM

Alignment for sure. As folks above said. And, yes, two new rear tires. When I had alignment done at 25,000 miles, I was surprised by how far the alignment was off. Now I have it checked more often.

trevor90 08-11-2018 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1597773486)

yep. Op needs a street alignment. You get one alignment within the first couple thousand miles free under the warranty program. 13k miles is pretty good. With a street alignment looking at the op’s Tires. I bet a set of the factory issue Michelin’s would go near 20 maybe 25k miles

would you happen to have the data supporting the warranty providing the free alignment? thanks!

GordyS 08-11-2018 10:15 PM

Mine did the same thing. Unfortunately I had a shop do alignment and then wore the tires out, Ya, you guessed it-not their fault.

djnice 08-11-2018 11:47 PM

Looks pretty normal for a car that comes setup for performance driving. Highway driving will cause that kind of wear. You can change the alignment to a better highway setup.

AJay 08-12-2018 08:00 AM

Other then the obvious (tire life) is there a noticeable trade off in the way the car handles on twisty roads by changing the alignment for highway driving? Again, I don't track the car.

C6_Racer_X 08-12-2018 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by AJay (Post 1597776014)
Other then the obvious (tire life) is there a noticeable trade off in the way the car handles on twisty roads by changing the alignment for highway driving? Again, I don't track the car.

It depends on what the settings are now and how they change when you get it aligned.

Inside edge wear like that which comes on quickly is usually from toe out, often caused when one of the adjusters slips. Toe out on the rear makes the car rotate more, making it a bit less stable, but very agile in the turns. It's viewed as "unstable" and not desirable in a "street" or "highway" alignment at all.

Inside edge wear like that which happens over longer distances (thousands of miles) is usually from excessive negative camber. More negative camber gives more grip when cornering. If you get a "highway" alignment which keeps the balance from front to rear, the handling balance won't change much. If you had excessive camber at the rear, but the front was OK, taking camber out of the rear but not changing the front might make the thing a bit more "tail happy" or "loose" in the handling department, especially in hard cornering (the technical term is oversteer).

Once you have an alignment you are happy with, be sure to mark all the adjustment points with a paint pen (or nail polish or "whiteout"). That way you can make a quick visual inspection from time to time to make sure nothing has moved. In extreme maneuvers, it's possible for an adjuster that isn't quite tight enough to slip and rotate, changing the alignment. Often, it will go in the direction of toe-out on these cars, and if you don't notice it quickly, it will eat a tire or two with inner edge wear.

Mr. Gizmo 08-12-2018 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by trevor90 (Post 1597774757)
would you happen to have the data supporting the warranty providing the free alignment? thanks!

i read it on a thread here and that most ask for the complimentary check and alignment at 500 mile oil change which I did. Mine was way off and would have resulted in the op’s experience at 7 to 10k miles.

Mad Dog 24 08-12-2018 10:10 AM

OP, I bet you have more of a rear toe issue than camber. Make sure your dealer has and knows how to use the rear caster gauge and bracket. If they don't I would not let them align your car.... cause they can't, period!

C6_Racer_X 08-12-2018 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1597776497)

i read it on a thread here and that most ask for the complimentary check and alignment at 500 mile oil change which I did. Mine was way off and would have resulted in the op’s experience at 7 to 10k miles.

Always ask for tread depth measurements across all 4 tires (inner, center and outer). Any uneven tire wear should justify an alignment. A complaint of "wandering" or some other subjective handling issue will often result in an alignment check/set, and generally warranty will cover it if the mileage is low (<5,000 miles).

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24 (Post 1597776508)
OP, I bet you have more of a rear toe issue than camber. Make sure your dealer has and knows how to use the rear caster gauge and bracket. If they don't I would not let them align your car.... cause they can't, period!

I agree it looks like a case of a slipped adjuster and "sudden onset" toe-out. Especially since only one tire is involved.

AJay 08-12-2018 11:19 AM

Great feedback.
Thanks everyone. I am in a much better position now to speak with the Service Manager on Monday.

Oneslackr 08-12-2018 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by AJay (Post 1597776854)
Great feedback.
Thanks everyone. I am in a much better position now to speak with the Service Manager on Monday.

Thanks for starting this thread. It's a good reminder for everyone to keep a closer eye on their tires instead of being complacent & assuming everything is fine until it's too late. Especially for those who don't track their cars & aren't always thinking about/looking at their tires.

vdavenp802 08-13-2018 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1597773486)

I had the same thing on the front same mileage. You are just a few miles from loosing all air pressure, replace all 4 tires :-(
Get a street alignment.

AJay 08-14-2018 03:38 PM

$85.00 for street alignment.
$2K for tires mounted and balanced.
An expensive lesson...

djnice 08-14-2018 03:44 PM

13,500 is not that bad out of a set of these tires.

MikeK 08-14-2018 11:23 PM

Took my 2018 Z in today for an oil change at 11 months and 1460 miles. Mentioned that the car slowly tracks to the right during my 65-75 mph trip. They have a quick check machine that showed the right front camber was slightly out of spec and FAILED the check. The Service Writer said that Chev will check alignments for 2 years and up to 7500 miles under warranty and they did an alignment. He also said that my car had a STREET alignment at the factory. It does not have the Z07 option.