CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   On the fence about Film Protection (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4175308-on-the-fence-about-film-protection.html)

QUAKEJAKE 08-11-2018 04:11 PM

On the fence about Film Protection

How many of you did not decide to go with film protection. Why not. Wish you did? As the title said.Im on the fence.Thanks

Kracka 08-11-2018 06:47 PM

Wasted my money on it once, never again.

QUAKEJAKE 08-11-2018 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kracka (Post 1597774049)
Wasted my money on it once, never again.

Why did you feel it was money wasted?

23/C8Z 08-11-2018 07:32 PM

I did it and my only regret was not doing more of the car. Love it. My front bumper hood quarters a pillars look brand new. Not a chip or scratch.

corv1998 08-11-2018 07:35 PM

It depends on the car color , it works best on dark colors . It is impossible to prevent swirls on black so I wrapped the whole car now no worries washing , paint still looks brand new. On lighter colors I would just ceramic coat it.

Oneslackr 08-11-2018 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE (Post 1597773284)
How many of you did not decide to go with film protection. Why not. Wish you did? As the title said.Im on the fence.Thanks

I received quotes the other day for Xpel Ultimate Plus & SunTek Ultra. I haven't decided for sure but I'm leaning towards getting it done since I plan to keep my car for a while. If I was just keeping it short term then I probably wouldn't bother. I agree with 'corv1998' that film works better on darker colors.

FastestBusaAround 08-11-2018 07:57 PM

Ceramic coat offers zero protection against rock chips....it's a waste of money if that's its purpose for you.

All my cars (including the dark colors) are fully Xpel wrapped. Much cheaper than a repaint...and even the ones that have over 30k miles, look as new as the day they were built.

Best money one can spend on a car/ truck.

pnoman 08-11-2018 08:11 PM

Complete coverage on my black z, best money I ever spent, cleans up in no time with no swirl marks and if a rock hits your car it self heals.
Its a no brainer.

badhabit_wb 08-11-2018 08:48 PM

i have a 2015 vy z06. I covered the whole car with xpel ultimate. Best thing I did as far as looks for the car. I've had dozens of track days and the car still looks like new except for some damage from something that punctured the tire and the fender from the underside. The xpel kept the puncture from coming all the way through and unless you look close you can't see it. It's also kept the front from having chips and missing paint. I'll probably get one more year out of the windshield but the paint looks great.

Hotwire25 08-11-2018 10:22 PM

My whole car is done in Xpel and ceramic coated on top of that. Looks brand new and is easy as hell to clean. Literally don't even need soap for an average wash, the hose sprays almost everything off. Good investment so far.

cyi1 08-11-2018 10:55 PM

Was a complete nightmare. Shop cut up my paint on brand new car. 3 failed attempts at installing xpel but had lint and all this shit under it. It eventually has dust/lint all along the edges you can't get out. Only a couple things have hit my bumper hard enough to leave a mark. The xpel saved the paint but the xpel looks like shit in those spots where it got hit. So either way there's a mark.

Don't think I'll ever get it again.

Ceramic coating is worth it though.

lordofwar 08-11-2018 11:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
did not do mine because I felt thousands of dollars to put a clear coat of film over my car to protect it from small rock chips was a waste of money.i spent the money on things that I could see and have practical use such as,CF hood vent,CF side skirts,CF side vents,CF rear vents,CF Stage 3 rear wicker bills and tinted middle piece.CAI,ported TB and Boral Xpipe .i have had many compliments on the way my car looks and sounds.how many of you guys have gotton compliments on your xpel? my secret on not getting stone chips on the front of my car is simple,"Dont Tailgate".stay far back when you see a construction truck carring gravel,rocks,tar,dirt.if you see a cement truck,"Stay Far Back"my car has 8700 miles on it and it has 1 very small chip in the lower front facia that I can only see because I know it was there.i know that because it came from the dealer with it before I took posestion.here is my car with all those things that I put on instead of xpel.you tell me what looks better.
Attachment 48344366
Attachment 48340612
Attachment 48332831
Attachment 48350565
Attachment 48351441

corvette dave 08-11-2018 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by pnoman (Post 1597774475)
Complete coverage on my black z, best money I ever spent, cleans up in no time with no swirl marks and if a rock hits your car it self heals.
Its a no brainer.

Not always self healing. It depends on the type of hit the film takes.
I can show you a Z06 with 15,000 miles that had the rear fenders wrapped and the wrap looked like it had been sand blasted.

djnice 08-11-2018 11:41 PM

If you only drive to car shows then you don't need it. If you road trip and track the car you need it.

robertbruce 08-12-2018 01:03 AM

Spent two thousand dollars getting this s%$t put on my car. Five hundred miles later the mirror's were bubbling and and the stuff was flapping in the wind under the door.

Lyn Go Fast 08-12-2018 01:56 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d48acc44f9.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...41d96d29dc.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cd0ba700de.jpg

Best thing I've done to my new 2018 ZO6 so far: XPEL ULTIMATE film on entire car w/ XPEL Prime XR window film. Wash w/ clear water. Butter-smooth finish. ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!

C7/Z06 Man 08-12-2018 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE (Post 1597773284)

JUST DO IT. I got the front cover done, the head lights, the side view mirrors and the guy threw in where you reach in to unlock the doors for free. I also installed aftermarket (ACS) side skirts and the 'homemade' long front splash guards. I wish that I had done it all right-away. With the Bolt-on protection (side skirts/splash guards) & the clear film 'areas' no more chips what so ever. 20,000+ miles on car.

Below is a pic with the inexpensive homemade 'long' front splash guards which I think are the very best protection of all the splash guards offered regardless of price. Look close to see the front guards. I think they look good and really go un-noticed.
PS: and as mention above "don't follow too close" and I use a tooth brush to remove wax along the edge of the oem/aftermarket wrap with a micro fiber cloth.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...46ee5f5719.jpg

djnice 08-12-2018 04:31 AM

Sounds like some folks have had problem with install quality. I have not had any problem.

QUAKEJAKE 08-12-2018 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by djnice (Post 1597775721)
Sounds like some folks have had problem with install quality. I have not had any problem.

I was just going to say that. For me being on the fence it's a money issue some say best spent elsewhere but I feel it saved the top of my front fender and forward of my rear quarters near the brake ducts on my then new C6 Z. Quality of install is 95% of the product imo. I had one bad experience with my new Audi in 07 with regard to install. After a year the end seams started to peel off the surface and gravel collected under it I had to cut away the effected area. More than likely I will get my new Z done as it is Black and will be driven.

hcvone 08-12-2018 07:12 AM

I 100% wrap all my cars, my suv's and trucks only the rockers, lower door and front end gets done. For me keeps them new and makes resale very easy when there are no chips in the paint, clean up is fast and a lot of the plastic of today is self repairing with hot water, and it looks brand new again