CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Rough running 427 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4175558-rough-running-427-a.html)

Bhebert449 08-12-2018 10:38 AM

Rough running 427

Recently on my weekend drive my 69 427 started running rough. After warm up the engine will not idle without me feathering the throttle and runs rough. I’ve had an issue in the past of an ignition wire backing off a plug. How do I ensure the wires stay fully seated on the plugs. I have the wires with the metal braiding.

Ive also recently pulled the distributor to repair the tach gear. Car had been running good until recently.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this condition?

7T1vette 08-12-2018 01:06 PM

Did you replace the vacuum line on the vacuum advance can? It sounds like you have a vacuum leak. That would normally be due to a vacuum line being left off by mistake.

Bhebert449 08-12-2018 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by 7T1vette (Post 1597777428)
Did you replace the vacuum line on the vacuum advance can? It sounds like you have a vacuum leak. That would normally be due to a vacuum line being left off by mistake.

yes its connected. Would a vacuum leak cause these symptoms after the engine is warmed up? I feel like it is an ignition issue. Something with the electrical system.

Tim Ware 08-12-2018 03:31 PM

Pulling the suppression wires off the plugs or just old age can sometimes break the internal carbon. Remove one wire at a time & check the OHMS resistance. Most are about 5,000. But check what yours are supposed to be. At the least, it will tell you if the wires are good. Also, I'd remove the plug from the wire that fell off & confirm that it was not fouled when there was no spark going to it.
Think small stuff first.

Bhebert449 08-12-2018 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Ware (Post 1597778130)
Pulling the suppression wires off the plugs or just old age can sometimes break the internal carbon. Remove one wire at a time & check the OHMS resistance. Most are about 5,000. But check what yours are supposed to be. At the least, it will tell you if the wires are good. Also, I'd remove the plug from the wire that fell off & confirm that it was not fouled when there was no spark going to it.
Think small stuff first.

how do you check the OHMS?

derekderek 08-12-2018 06:42 PM

Google ohmeter.

Tim Ware 08-13-2018 12:08 PM

It is very simple once you buy an inexpensive digital ohm meter. ( will probably be a "multi meter" that can measure several electrical functions ) Set it to "ohms" in the 20,000 range; connect one contact to each end of the plug wire & the meter will read ohms. OHMS are a measure of resistance & cars in the last 30+ years have required "resistance " plug wires to eliminate interference in radios & other electrical devices. Anything over 6-7,000 ohms is questionable. If there is an actual break in the internal carbon, the meter will read "zero" and, thus, no spark.
Please let us know what you discover.

Tim Ware 09-09-2018 11:35 AM

What did you discover was the problem ? And how to you resolve ?

7T1vette 09-09-2018 07:01 PM

M.i.a. .....