CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Per GM Performance employee "No ME Corvette" (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4175636-per-gm-performance-employee-no-me-corvette.html)

tbasco 6 08-12-2018 02:18 PM

Per GM Performance employee "No ME Corvette"

While at Louisville for NSRA I asked a GM rep if they were taking anything new & exciting to SEMA this year, he said they always take new displays. I asked if they were taking anything related to the ME as they did the new C7 engine in 2012. He flatly said there are no ME Corvettes, when I mentioned the 40 or so test mules running around in covers he said we are always testing new components. When I asked about the plant being closed to the public for 18 months he said they were doing a major paint shop upgrade and didn't want the public in with construction workers. When I mentioned the new paint facility upgrade was apparently done since cars were being delivered with new paint he confirmed it was done. When I asked why the plant was still closed to the public until next year he appeared speechless. I told him we would talk next Aug. :lol:

Quinten33 08-12-2018 02:23 PM

lol nice clickbait

firstvettesoon 08-12-2018 02:45 PM

This guy knows how to keep his mouth shut. ! ;)

no no doubt he will still be working there next August!

Deepdiver 08-12-2018 08:26 PM

Steve Jobs would be proud..

MikeG37 08-12-2018 09:05 PM

If I had a job that required me to keep my mouth shut to keep my job I'd be just as forthcoming.

tbasco 6 08-12-2018 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by MikeG37 (Post 1597780019)
If I had a job that required me to keep my mouth shut to keep my job I'd be just as forthcoming.

I didn't expect him to give any info, was just surprised he was so insistent that there is no ME instead of giving the usual "we don't discuss possible future projects"

Redc8z06 08-13-2018 09:32 AM

I feel sorry for the GM folks that will be at Carlisle this year. I wonder how many times they will be asked about the ME. :crazy2:

C5Driver 08-13-2018 09:39 AM

We could all be shocked as well. This car is so far off the "Corvette" core value that it could in fact get a different name and displace Corvette as the Chevrolet halo car. Who knows at this point.

warhawkmcdaniel 08-13-2018 10:05 AM

I asked Siri about C8 Corvettes and she pointed out all Mid Engine webpages so it must be coming!:thumbs:

Klinn 08-13-2018 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Redc7z06 (Post 1597781869)
I feel sorry for the GM folks that will be at Carlisle this year. I wonder how many times they will be asked about the ME.

Heh, they should all get badges saying "Don't ask me about ME!" ;)

dcbingaman 08-13-2018 04:51 PM

Doug Fehan said there is an ME coming and a C8.R in testing at the Michelin Bash. The pictures off it at Road America just showed up late last week.

Next time you see a GM guy who tellls you the Earth is flat, show them the pictures of the car that was running like a scalded dog around Road America last week, ask him what he thinks about this new Dodge Viper ME race car ?!!

WhiteDiamond 08-14-2018 10:42 AM

There are way too many ME validation cars running around at this point. GM is in the serious run up to production by now. The cars on the road, that have been pictured, probably represent tens of millions in development costs. GM can't afford to be toying around like that.

MAKC7 08-14-2018 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by warhawkmcdaniel (Post 1597782067)
I asked Siri about C8 Corvettes and she pointed out all Mid Engine webpages so it must be coming!:thumbs:

Siri knows everything!

duanesZ06 08-14-2018 01:02 PM

Way to much R&D it's coming, they have to keep up with everyone else or start losing market share.

tbasco 6 08-14-2018 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond (Post 1597788965)
There are way too many ME validation cars running around at this point. GM is in the serious run up to production by now. The cars on the road, that have been pictured, probably represent tens of millions in development costs. GM can't afford to be toying around like that.

If I didn't agree with you completely I wouldn't have put a $5000 deposit down the beginning of the year. If the 40 or so mules on the road are just testing misc . parts as the GM rep wanted me to accept as why they are out there, GM is wasting as you suggest "tens of millions in development costs" and headed back to another bailout situation, which I don't believe is the case.

elegant 08-14-2018 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond (Post 1597788965)

Sorry, but wishful thinking. I talked with an insider last night, and at this time, there is currently, continuing extensive development, on the roads, at the suppliers, in fact at every step in the development stage for the 2020 ME.

Not one customer ME has been produced, nor will it be until around May or June of next year. PM me if you want specific details as to what are the steps between now and the probable summer start of customer ME deliveries.

GTRSOLO 08-14-2018 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by tbasco 6 (Post 1597777768)
He flatly said there are no ME Corvettes

Misinformation - Haven't you heard of Roswell being just a weather balloon test gone bad? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

dcbingaman 08-14-2018 05:47 PM

There are likely 50-100 pre-production mules running around testing all aspects of the production car design AND build sequence all over the countryside. BG is likely involved to some extent, but the engineers at Warren Tech Center are in charge right now. All these cars will eventually head to the crusher, except for the GM / Pratt & Miller C8.R which is headed to the 2019 Rolex 24 Corvette Corral in Daytona !!

This is just like the run-up to the C7 intro. in 2013. Lot's of development and validation testing and no comments. I think you will likely see the formal introduction at Detroit in Jan. 2019, production start-up in July 2019, and first deliveries to dealers and customers in Sept.-Oct. 2019.

10thumper 08-14-2018 07:29 PM

"He flatly said there are no ME Corvettes"

Well, maybe that's the honest truth. Who knows what they'll name it...

warhawkmcdaniel 08-14-2018 07:31 PM

Maybe it's a rear engine car?