CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Quick review of the WCC seat cushion repair kit (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4175760-quick-review-of-the-wcc-seat-cushion-repair-kit.html)

Time for a C-5 08-12-2018 09:02 PM

Quick review of the WCC seat cushion repair kit

The short answer is - it works. There's only a few dollars of materials in the $30 kit but the instructions are detailed, all necessary items (pad/foam/etc.) are included and they figured it out, so I don't mind paying for it. The factory foam was being cut by the frame wires and the simple kit solves the problem. There's some added foam that nicely improves the bolsters. The seat feels much improved. Total time was about two hours and, like anything, the second effort would take half that. Careful of the plastic that's getting brittle as these cars age. If you've been thinking about it I say go for it. Cheers!

Vetteman Jack 08-13-2018 09:36 AM

Thanks for the review. :thumbs:

Sam Handwich 08-13-2018 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Time for a C-5 (Post 1597780002)
The short answer is - it works. There's only a few dollars of materials in the $30 kit but the instructions are detailed, all necessary items (pad/foam/etc.) are included and they figured it out, so I don't mind paying for it. The factory foam was being cut by the frame wires and the simple kit solves the problem. There's some added foam that nicely improves the bolsters. The seat feels much improved. Total time was about two hours and, like anything, the second effort would take half that. Careful of the plastic that's getting brittle as these cars age. If you've been thinking about it I say go for it. Cheers!

I bought that same kit a few years ago and was very pleased with the results. It was quite surprising how the wires had cut almost entirely through the foam. And because I am such a perfection freak I bought hog-ring pliers to close up the bottoms (instead of using zip-ties provided).

dproto09 08-28-2018 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Time for a C-5 (Post 1597780002)

is the repair kit worth it or isn't it better to replace with new foam. I would like to redo my driver side seat foam.

Time for a C-5 08-29-2018 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by dproto09 (Post 1597882575)
is the repair kit worth it or isn't it better to replace with new foam. I would like to redo my driver side seat foam.

The kit adds a barrier between the foam and the thin wires that cut into the foam. Simply replacing the foam isn't the solution. Like I mentioned above, there's only a few $s of material in the kit but it includes everything needed and detail directions and disassembling the seat. I didn't mind paying the $25 or $30.

monteholic 08-29-2018 08:55 AM

link to the kit?

Time for a C5...I was born and raised in Waterford, I work at the airport so I'm in Waterford everyday

stangin4lyfe 08-29-2018 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by monteholic (Post 1597883522)
link to the kit?

Time for a C5...I was born and raised in Waterford, I work at the airport so I'm in Waterford everyday

https://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-...2013-c5c6.aspx

zachaeous 08-29-2018 09:56 PM

I used two of the kits on the seats in my C5. I replaced the foam on the drivers side and installed the seat repair kit as well. On the passenger side I just installed the seat repair kit. As far as I am concerned it was a investment that was worth every penny.

You could put the kit together yourself for less money, but the time alone looking for the necessary components convinced me that the cost of the retail kit was well worth it.

Route99 08-30-2018 03:12 PM

Agree!! We recently used the WCC foam for both seats and decided to use the cushion repair kit, too! Very easy to do, and the seats should now outlast me! (Oops, that didn't sound good. :D ).
Very pleased with the quality of both the foam and cushion repair kit; quick shipping and good communications.
Just one heads up: Since I ordered one set of seat foam that was for both seats, I ordered just one cushion repair kit. I did not pay attention to the kit information - if I had I would have clearly seen the cushion repair kit was for one seat. So.....I had to quickly order the second cushion repair kit but got it with only minimal delay. I couldn't complain since I was the cause of the delay. However, since we were also doing the rocking chair fix as well as installing two new seat back recliner mechanism cables we had plenty to do while we were waiting for the second cushion repair kit to arrive.

stangin4lyfe 08-31-2018 09:39 AM

Just ordered a repair kit for my z06 from them.
:thumbs:

Time for a C-5 08-31-2018 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by monteholic (Post 1597883522)
link to the kit?

Neighbors! Below is a link to the kit.

https://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-...2013-c5c6.aspx

Time for a C-5 08-31-2018 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Route99 (Post 1597893334)
Agree!! We recently used the WCC foam for both seats and decided to use the cushion repair kit, too! Very easy to do, and the seats should now outlast me! (Oops, that didn't sound good. :D ).
Very pleased with the quality of both the foam and cushion repair kit; quick shipping and good communications.
Just one heads up: Since I ordered one set of seat foam that was for both seats, I ordered just one cushion repair kit. I did not pay attention to the kit information - if I had I would have clearly seen the cushion repair kit was for one seat. So.....I had to quickly order the second cushion repair kit but got it with only minimal delay. I couldn't complain since I was the cause of the delay. However, since we were also doing the rocking chair fix as well as installing two new seat back recliner mechanism cables we had plenty to do while we were waiting for the second cushion repair kit to arrive.

I only did the driver's side cushion repair. Now my passenger seat is sliding...I guess I'll be addressing the foam while I'm in there fixing the slide.