CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Trans Tunnel Heat (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4177217-trans-tunnel-heat.html)

DEITIM 08-16-2018 01:03 PM

Trans Tunnel Heat

Hi,

I'm looking for some feedback on the C4 Corvettes. Do the center consoles get hot like they do in the C5 and C6 Corvettes? Does it warrant DEI looking into making a transmission tunnel kit dedicated for the C4's like we did for the C5/6's? Please let me know. C5 kit pictured below.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6c31ed3895.jpg

Thanks, Tim

RIC96 08-16-2018 01:16 PM

I cruised Woodward last nite :woohoo: and my tunnel generates a lot of heat in slow moving traffic. That said, I've gotten used to it and I don't drive it enough to invest the time and money to fix what I consider to be a minor annoyance. :willy:

confab 08-16-2018 01:28 PM

Mine is an 85, stock exhaust.. I don't notice it if it does?

When I put the headers on it might. But right now it's not an issue.

DEITIM 08-16-2018 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by confab (Post 1597803680)
Mine is an 85, stock exhaust.. I don't notice it if it does?

When I put the headers on it might. But right now it's not an issue.

How soon do you plan on putting the headers on? Feedback on tunnel heat once they are installed would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tim

confab 08-16-2018 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by DEITIM (Post 1597803712)
How soon do you plan on putting the headers on? Feedback on tunnel heat once they are installed would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tim

As soon as I can.. I have a complete new exhaust for it and I'm dying to install it.

Because of work, it could be a month or so.. But I'll be happy to come back and update if I remember!

(I forget everything. Amazed I can remember where I parked it some days.)

:cheers:

JimLentz 08-16-2018 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by confab (Post 1597803727)
As soon as I can.. I have a complete new exhaust for it and I'm dying to install it.

Because of work, it could be a month or so.. But I'll be happy to come back and update if I remember!

(I forget everything. Amazed I can remember where I parked it some days.)

:cheers:

Parked what? ;)

Never noticed heat in the trans tunnel, but perhaps it is just that much better than it was in my C3.

hilflos 08-16-2018 03:07 PM

I've an '87. My right leg routinely rests against the trans tunnel while driving. It's an auto, for reference.

I notice the heat transfer from the tunnel, as my leg does get warm, but not uncomfortably so, after about thirty minutes of driving. It doesn't increase from there though. Figure five to ten degrees Fahrenheit over ambient?

Edit: It would not be something I'm in a hurry to correct / modify, but when I get around to the interior, which is still in quite nice shape, then, yeah, it'll be something I look into mitigating in some fashion or other.

My end goal for the car is a GT sort of cruiser. Something to take roadtrips in when back roads with nice corners will be part of the route. So, comfortable cruising will be something I get into after all the mechanical and performance items are checked off.

2LZ 08-16-2018 03:14 PM

I have a 96 and I notice it, but the car can get hot "in general". I chalk it up to a hot running V8 stuffed behind the front axle in a plastic car.
That said, if I ever took it apart, I'd like to have something available to insulate under there.

Cool Runnings 08-16-2018 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by DEITIM (Post 1597803522)
Hi,

I'm looking for some feedback on the C4 Corvettes. Do the center consoles get hot like they do in the C5 and C6 Corvettes? Does it warrant DEI looking into making a transmission tunnel kit dedicated for the C4's like we did for the C5/6's? Please let me know. C5 kit pictured below.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6c31ed3895.jpg

Thanks, Tim

Wonder if this system could help with road noise?

vader86 08-16-2018 05:48 PM

The car gets hot inside in general, not very much heat shielding between you and the motor and between you and the tranny. Its that cut pile carpet with some thin layer of filler. I'd say it is needed to upgrade the temp and sound insulation, but I was waiting on redoing my interior carpeting before I added the heat foil below the carpet.

It doesn't get unbearably hot, but in mid summer you will run the AC nonstop here in the south and it doesnt help to have a heat source next to your leg. In winter, I run the heater on low or not at all. It gets warm enough inside the car within 10 minutes without the heater running. That was with the stock motor as well as the new 398 with headers. I'm just not sure you're going to have enough of a market to justify your development and build cost.

drcook 08-16-2018 06:04 PM

There are quite a few forum members within an hour or so of Avon Lake. I am sure that you could buy someone lunch or something and have them drive there (or meet you somewhere) so you could get some actual temps. I live just outside Akron and have a stock (for the moment) 96 LT1. I have not noticed a lot of heat yet.

But as others have said, when I put the headers on, that all could change.

Buying someone lunch costs a lot less than coming up with a product that doesn't sell. I am pretty sure that there are folks on here even closer to you than I am. Not suggesting you buy ME lunch or whatever, just suggesting you get a real, hands on evaluation for yourself.

rjacobs 08-16-2018 06:21 PM

So DEI is just now interested in developing a product for a car that has been out for somewhere between 22 and 34 years?

And a trans tunnel brace/heat shield like on the C5/C6 cars I dont believe would work on this car since there is no way to attach it to the car. The C5/C6 have that tunnel brace as standard equipment. DEI just slapped a layer of heat matt on it.

v8vette84 08-16-2018 06:34 PM

I have had headers since I owned the car. My trans tunnel gets HOT. It would be great to see a kit to deflect the heat. My plastic center console gets quite hot. The heat just radiates up and basically acts as a heater.

v8vette84 08-16-2018 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by rjacobs (Post 1597805733)
So DEI is just now interested in developing a product for a car that has been out for somewhere between 22 and 34 years?

And a trans tunnel brace/heat shield like on the C5/C6 cars I dont believe would work on this car since there is no way to attach it to the car. The C5/C6 have that tunnel brace as standard equipment. DEI just slapped a layer of heat matt on it.

I assume you will be the first to complain when the C4's get left out with aftermarket support... I'm glad they are gauging interest.

Also I'm sure they are not going to try to just modify the C5/C6 design... I'm sure they are well aware that the C4 does not have that same tunnel design...

383vett 08-16-2018 06:40 PM

I have an 84 with headers. I have also had a C5Z with headers, a C6Z with headers and now a C7Z stock. The C4 does not generate anywhere near the heat the other 3 Z's did. Where would the shield bolt onto?

v8vette84 08-16-2018 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by 383vett (Post 1597805827)
I have an 84 with headers. I have also had a C5Z with headers, a C6Z with headers and now a C7Z stock. The C4 does not generate anywhere near the heat the other 3 Z's did. Where would the shield bolt onto?

I haven't been in a C5/C6 with headers but if they get hotter than my C4 does they must have issues with warped center consoles. That's pretty wild! :willy: I'll keep my C4 then! haha

rjacobs 08-16-2018 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by v8vette84 (Post 1597805818)
I assume you will be the first to complain when the C4's get left out with aftermarket support... I'm glad they are gauging interest.

No I just find it funny that they just now are interested in producing a product for a car that itself hasnt been produced for 22 years.

Dont get me wrong, I like DEI products and have used them extensively, just find it amusing.

v8vette84 08-16-2018 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by rjacobs (Post 1597805978)
No I just find it funny that they just now are interested in producing a product for a car that itself hasnt been produced for 22 years.

Dont get me wrong, I like DEI products and have used them extensively, just find it amusing.

You do make a good point. :yesnod:

JrRifleCoach 08-16-2018 07:30 PM

Since most of the C4 owners are on budgets, if the kit is reasonably priced I'd say yes.
Probably an install that is under the carpet rather than under the floor pan.

Pwnage1337 08-16-2018 08:40 PM

I have headers on my car, wrapped with header wrap, and still get a little heat but mostly right by my right foot. Not so much the tunnel itself