CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Waste oil ... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4177543-waste-oil.html)

PatternDayTrader 08-17-2018 08:13 AM

Waste oil ...

What's everyone doing with waste oil ?

TorchTarga94 08-17-2018 09:01 AM

I kill palm trees and weeds with it and pi$$ my hippy neighbor off at the end of the culdesac.

Maldini 08-17-2018 09:08 AM

Most fire stations and land fill sites take old oil free of charge.

Wildride 08-17-2018 09:26 AM

Many (if not all) Auto Zones take it for free.

2LZ 08-17-2018 10:13 AM

Good question. This is always an issue. When I was a kid, we used to sprinkle our dirt road with it. Also trickle it along the fence lines so the posts won't rot. Then one day, that all changed.
Now-a-days, our local auto parts stores are "chronically full" and won't take it. The cure was take the cars to a local oil change joint. Drive thru. Don't even have to get out of the car. Includes a free scrubby wash by actual people, if you want it. I bring the Mobil 1 and filter with me for the Corvette. The waste oil is now their problem and I'm not storing a ton in the garage. Well worth the 45.00.

JimLentz 08-17-2018 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Wildride (Post 1597808852)

:iagree: This is what I do with it and they even take the filters near me.

383vett 08-17-2018 10:51 AM

Wait for a rainy day and dump it along a cloverleaf exit. Actually O'reillys, AutoZone or Pep Boys.

PatternDayTrader 08-17-2018 11:04 AM

Man I gotta get my shop the hell outta Michigan.
None of the local parts stores will take my used oil.

fparkin 08-17-2018 11:31 AM

can use it in a chain saw as bar oil if not real bad

PatternDayTrader 08-17-2018 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by fparkin (Post 1597809786)
can use it in a chain saw as bar oil if not real bad

Ive got over 100 gallons.

c4cruiser 08-17-2018 11:38 AM

Our county landfill has an area they call the "HazoHouse" where you can drop off all sorts of hazardous materials such as oil-based paints,florescent light tubes, batteries, and oils. They don't charge anything and there is no limit to the amount you bring to them. They even unload everything from your vehicle so you don't need to get out. I only have to show that I live in the county.

I tried to take old motor oil to a few of the various chain parts stores and they would accept the oil and filters as long as I could show proof that I bought the fresh oil there.

juanvaldez 08-17-2018 11:43 AM

Put it back in the 5 quart jug it came in and put it in the trash. Kitty litter comes in plastic jugs and they work, too.

PatternDayTrader 08-17-2018 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by juanvaldez (Post 1597809869)
Put it back in the 5 quart jug it came in and put it in the trash. Kitty litter comes in plastic jugs and they work, too.

It might come to that.
I just didn't want waste oil in the groundwater which is exactly where it ends up eventually.

cv67 08-17-2018 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader (Post 1597809596)
Man I gotta get my shop the hell outta Michigan.
None of the local parts stores will take my used oil.

No fire stations or parts stores will take mine either.
After having the containers in my truck for months someone took 2 thinking they were getting free oil....last week someone dumped the rest of it in my bed. Took what was left, put it in a trash bag and in the dumpster it went.
I hear some pour it down the toilet.

PatternDayTrader 08-17-2018 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette (Post 1597810252)
No fire stations or parts stores will take mine either.
After having the containers in my truck for months someone took 2 thinking they were getting free oil....last week someone dumped the rest of it in my bed. Took what was left, put it in a trash bag and in the dumpster it went.
I hear some pour it down the toilet.

Yeah this whole waste oil thing is a real problem in some locations.
I used to take it to a local dealer that had an actual waste oil furnace they ran in the winter time, but they got rid of it.

RollaMo-LT4 08-17-2018 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Wildride (Post 1597808852)

In Missouri (and i am sure most states), if an auto store sell motor oil, then they have to accept your old oil back for recycling.

So, back to the auto store I go with my old oil.

Tom400CFI 08-17-2018 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader (Post 1597810378)
Yeah this whole waste oil thing is a real problem in some locations.
I used to take it to a local dealer that had an actual waste oil furnace they ran in the winter time, but they got rid of it.

I was going to suggest that; find a shop/warehose that has a waste oil burner. We have one in our shop and run it year round to get rid of our waste oil. So I just take mine to work.

I can't believe that there aren't recycling stations around you. That is lame.

vader86 08-17-2018 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by juanvaldez (Post 1597809869)

Usually I do this, unless theres an area of weeds I really want to destroy, or I'm burning brush.

PatternDayTrader 08-17-2018 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI (Post 1597811746)
I was going to suggest that; find a shop/warehose that has a waste oil burner. We have one in our shop and run it year round to get rid of our waste oil. So I just take mine to work.

I can't believe that there aren't recycling stations around you. That is lame.

It really kinda pisses me off to honest. I'm not an environmental freak or anything , but I'm not stupid about this stuff either. I want it taken care of in a responsible way.
Saftey Kleen says if I put it all in one container, they will come and test it (if you can believe that) then once they know for sure its waste oil they will take it.
But, you know how this goes, there's a little anti freeze in it, as well as some hydraulic fluid and so on, so that's not going to work.

PatternDayTrader 08-17-2018 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs (Post 1597812005)
I have 5 GALLON pails that come from doing oil changes in the yachts. A 60 footer oil change is about 25 gallons if you do 4 engines and the transmissions. I generate a lot of waste oil and 5 gal buckets. I digress.

I keep 8 of these buckets in a Rubbermaid garden shed in my yard. When I'm close to full, I take them to a oil-disposal site in the marina that the county maintains and empty them. The local oil refinery also accepts waste oil on Saturday only, but they keep the containers. (I want them back, so this doesn't work for me).

I also have a 5 gallon bucket that I have secured a piece of poultry screen in about 1/2 way down. I put my oil filters in there upside down to empty them, then put them in a bucket to dispose of at the marina center. I've learned that an uncovered bucket in the bed of my pick-up with oil in it gets sucked out and makes a mess. So no liquid in the open bed anymore. I also keep my other oil change stuff like drain pans and my "sucker" in there too. Keeps a messy deal tidy and all in one place.

I wish we had something like that here. I would be totally willing to pay whatever as long as I knew for sure that it was going to be disposed of responsibly.