CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Road noise (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4178727-road-noise.html)

1776DAVE 08-20-2018 10:28 AM

Road noise

My wife saids the vette has a lot more noise then her 2ss Camaro is why she dont like it
for riad trips ...
what can i do to tame the road noise for her ?

Carlos Thomas 08-20-2018 10:30 AM

By the Convertible, it is a lot quieter than the coupe.

KenHorse 08-20-2018 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas (Post 1597826969)
By the Convertible, it is a lot quieter than the coupe.

Suuure it is :rolleyes:

dvilin 08-20-2018 10:56 AM

Get rid of the runflats.

Clspht 08-20-2018 11:03 AM

+1 on get rid of the run flats... I hear the Conti's are much quieter...

Carlos Thomas 08-20-2018 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1597827087)

When the top is up on the vert and the top is on the coupe, the interior noise is very noticeable. The coupe has the hatchback part that is like a sound chamber. It is a lot louder.

When the top top is down on the vert and the top is off the coupe (especially over 45 mph), the vert is quieter. At consistent freeway speeds with the top off the coupe, it starts to get uncomfortable with all the wind buffering.

These are facts. That is why I tested both and decided on the vert for that exact and only reason. Noise.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...65b12bb8d.jpeg

Steve_R 08-20-2018 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1597827087)

C7 vert with the top up is much quieter than the coupe with the top on. Is either one as quiet as the Camaro, or any other sedan? Nope. While you can install sound deadening mats in the coupe, it still won't make it as quiet as those other cars. I can't comment on ZP vs non-ZP tires as I've not compared them and don't care to risk driving with no spare so I stick with ZP tires.

KenHorse 08-20-2018 11:26 AM

Really? Goes against logic but I'll have to admit my error. Thanks for the correction(s)

Steve_R 08-20-2018 11:37 AM

It does seem to go against logic Ken, but it's definitely the case. I attribute it to the large echo chamber behind the seats on the coupe, which doesn't exist in the vert. The C7 vert top is also several layers thick and muffles sound through it pretty good. I can also attest from person experience that wind buffeting is far worse in the coupe with the top off than in the vert with the top down.

:cheers:

Hoonose 08-20-2018 11:38 AM

There are sound deadening materials, mats and kits to help reduce road noise coming from the rear. Like the Blockit kit. It seems to work to some extent, but it won't make the C7 sound like the new LC500 Lexus. Also a big deal is tire hardening. After a few years they start making more road noise, and the only solution there is new tires. My own gauge is how comfortable it is to listen to the radio at 80 mph. The C7, better than the C6 or 5, starts out borderline IMO. I might make the switch to the Lexus as I seem to want smooth and quiet now more than oomph, noise and jarring. An age thing I guess.

rmorin1249 08-20-2018 11:41 AM

It's a given that any hatchback style vehicle with an open trunk area will be noisier than one with a closed trunk. Road noise from the rear wheels is transmitted directly into the interior occupant space.

I swapped out my OEM runflats for a set of Continental DWS06s immediately after delivery. Road noise is still noticeable but tolerable IMHO.

eboggs_jkvl 08-20-2018 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1597827222)
C7 vert with the top up is much quieter than the coupe with the top on. Is either one as quiet as the Camaro, or any other sedan? Nope. While you can install sound deadening mats in the coupe, it still won't make it as quiet as those other cars. I can't comment on ZP vs non-ZP tires as I've not compared them and don't care to risk driving with no spare so I stick with ZP tires.

There is a A/S Michelin out for the Stingray Z51 that is ZP. It is quieter than the stock OEM tires and will give longer tire mileage. Unless you are racing the car, the traction difference is small and it doesn't get all pissy about cold temperatures. Also, the A/S tires are cheaper than the OEM tires.

Fronts...#19713 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ 245/35ZR19 ZP ASY M+S, All Season Tires

Rears....#05262 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ 285/30ZR20 ZP ASY M+S All Season Tires

There is an 18 available in the A/S too.

Elmer

Steve_R 08-20-2018 12:05 PM

Elmer, I switched to those tires several months ago (and posted a review thread here). While the ride is a bit better, but only a bit, I must admit I haven't really seen a noticeable difference in road noise in the cabin.

bankers1 08-20-2018 12:14 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...60c2033dc7.jpg

Make a custom soundproofing divider that slips in and out. 50% noise gone with the Conti Extreme Contact Tires. It's all at Lowes, but the rubber gaskit it an expensive item on line, 25-50-100 feet. It is the best I found, but @ $25 per divider too costly to sell the item retail, and too HEAVY.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...16bc9e425f.jpg

Kevin A Jones 08-20-2018 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1597827335)
Really? Goes against logic but I'll have to admit my error. Thanks for the correction(s)

Not only is the Vert quieter with the top up but much easier to heat and cool than the coup as well.

Black18C7 08-20-2018 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hoonose
I might make the switch to the Lexus as I seem to want smooth and quiet now more than oomph, noise and jarring. An age thing I guess.

Friend of mine has one. VERY nice car. Gets looks and comments from everyone. Quieter and less oomph yea. Less jarring I'd say it's about the same as my stock Stingray. Would I trade him cars though ?? No Way ...

mschuyler 08-20-2018 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1597827335)

I think the issue is in how the bodies are constructed. With the hatchback the tire wells are exposed to the interior, so noise is easily transmitted to the cabin. With the vert that area is in the trunk and closed off to the cabin by the waterfall barrier between cabin and trunk, so less noise can get through and no echo chamber is present. If you rode in the trunk, it would probably be pretty loud!

RMS73 08-20-2018 01:14 PM

I installed Crazy Cowboy's double extreme kit. The road noise was eliminated. See the post about his kit.

Avanti 08-20-2018 04:48 PM

Non-runflats and insulation, insulation, INSULATION... everywhere. Or, take solo road-trips in the Vette. :lol:

JerryU 08-20-2018 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by RMS73 (Post 1597828082)
I installed Crazy Cowboy's double extreme kit. The road noise was eliminated. See the post about his kit.

:iagree: Have seen many posts about adding sound deadening and their deluxe or whatever they call the most expensive kit is the only one that folks report and quantify a significant noise reduction.

But for the OP that takes removing the seats, carpet and putting the two supplied sound deadening layers all over. Especially on the aluminum panels behind the seats and on the torque tube tunnel.

A recent post by a fellow who had worked in a an audio install shop decided he wanted it done by a pro who had done it before! Not a simple "put a sound blanket over the rear area!" Those looking for a simple solution are not happy with the results.

Lived with the noise from October 2013 in my Z51 coupe and now my Grand Sport. But my method of solving the problem is easy. Have >1000 songs on a flush mounted thumb drive that play in shuffle mode as soon as I start the car. It's never off! When the wire's in the car have to drive like an "old man" and at low sound volume so she and I prefer to take her BMW SUV! I mostly drive the Vette alone, it's my my DD and can drive how I like!

PS: With all the distracted drivers I spend all my time an attention watching for others. Have my iPhone set at "no calls while moving" and did not connect the Bluetooth as do not want to be tempted. I can get calls after I park! Never talk on the phone while in motion so Janis Joplin singing "Cry Baby" etc, can drown out all noise!.