CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   The Perfect Axle Back Exhaust (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4180218-the-perfect-axle-back-exhaust.html)

Guyzer7 08-23-2018 06:24 PM

The Perfect Axle Back Exhaust

There is one thing I think we can all agree on is the Corvette is not acoustically designed to have great sounding exhaust. Actually, the best sound on these cars, in my opinion, comes from start up and idle. And for those who just change the axle back portion, the gain in horsepower is minimal. When I first bought my base model 08' automatic, I hastily put on an SLP Loudmouth II because it was one of the least expensive. It was so damn loud, I thought sound deadening would help, so did the cargo, doors and behind the seats... no difference at all! Then I went with the Billy Boat PRT with 4 inch round tips. Looks amazing, sound was much better on acceleration than the Loudmouth and was quieter at cruising speeds around town and on the freeway. Then, I finally decided, the best sounding exhaust was the original stock system, so I put that back on today. Boy, I am loving how smooth it sounds. My stereo system with amps, components and sub sound so much better. I spoke to my wife on the phone while driving and we could actually hear each other. I actually enjoy driving my Vette more now with the stock exhaust. I do like the look of larger 4 inch tips, so I am going to have some of those installed in the next week. For those of you chasing The Perfect Axle Back Exhaust, consider saving your time and money and stay with the stock exhaust and just changing the tips if you want a different look. You also will save time and money by not installing sound deadening material. Hope my experience if helpful to some.

Corvette ~ The Poorman's Racecar

saplumr 08-23-2018 06:27 PM

For me the perfect setup is adjustable volume....Cutouts.

jashmore1234 08-23-2018 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by saplumr (Post 1597851616)

This. Quiet as a church mouse or scare children and old people.

robinsonlaird86 08-23-2018 06:52 PM

sorry, complete noob - what does cutouts mean? I'm looking for that quiet cruising sound (love the stock cruising sound) but want it to be just a tad more louder when accelerating.

dpigguy 08-23-2018 06:53 PM

The perfect exhaust is the stock set up but with NPP. The best of both worlds - quiet when desired, louder when appropriate. :thumbs:

saplumr 08-23-2018 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by robinsonlaird86 (Post 1597851736)
sorry, complete noob - what does cutouts mean? I'm looking for that quiet cruising sound (love the stock cruising sound) but want it to be just a tad more louder when accelerating.

ECO'S (electric cutouts) are installed in the x-pipe before muffs. Basically straight exhaust when fully open but are totally adjustable to where you want with a remote. Range is from totally closed to fully open and everything in between. I have Core Xtreme w/quad 4" tips so it's a little loud to begin with but at times I like to rattle windows.

saplumr 08-23-2018 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by dpigguy (Post 1597851748)
The perfect exhaust is the stock set up but with NPP. The best of both worlds - quiet when desired, louder when appropriate. :thumbs:

They're OK but it's basically a on/off switch with tip clutter.

449er 08-23-2018 07:00 PM

I guess that everyone has their own "perfect exhaust" setup, mine is what I currently have, Kooks headers & X pipe with cats, & a Corsa Sport axle back system....not quiet at any point but not obnoxiously loud either. My take on it is that a Corvette is not supposed to be whisper quiet, but that's just me

petsur 08-23-2018 07:02 PM

I really don't care for my cutouts. I keep them closed 95% of the time as they set off the passenger airbag light and vibrate the plastic around my harness bar. Headers and NPP that has never had a fuse in it is best for me.

saplumr 08-23-2018 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by petsur (Post 1597851793)
I really don't care for my cutouts. I keep them closed 95% of the time as they set off the passenger airbag light and vibrate the plastic around my harness bar. Headers and NPP that has never had a fuse in it is best for me.

Not sure why any airbag light would come on. I've got a blower and a huge cam and it shakes like the devil but certainly never had any "light" issues. But they are what they are LOUD when open. One of the best things I ever did...and I've done a bunch.

robinsonlaird86 08-23-2018 07:28 PM

wayback 08-23-2018 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by 449er (Post 1597851778)
I guess that everyone has their own "perfect exhaust" setup, mine is what I currently have, Kooks headers & X pipe with cats, & a Corsa Sport axle back system....not quiet at any point but not obnoxiously loud either. My take on it is that a Corvette is not supposed to be whisper quiet, but that's just me

I have almost the same setup except I have LG headers and high flow cats with the Corsa Sports.
Works for me, and has since I bought it new in 07. Dealer swapped the Corsas from my 06 to the 07 before I took it home.

rmtt 08-23-2018 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by wayback (Post 1597852134)
I have almost the same setup except I have LG headers and high flow cats with the Corsa Sports.
Works for me, and has since I bought it new in 07. Dealer swapped the Corsas from my 06 to the 07 before I took it home.

Same here.....but mine are the GHL Lemans system which I don't think they sell that model anymore. Sounded nice without longtubes and I got a lot of compliments, but the headers just deepened the sound and slightly amplified it.

Everyone that has heard it likes it, and there is no drone at any RPM.

I've had a ton of different systems through the years....some that cost twice what these did, but my current setup sounds the best by far.

I never thought I would go anything past a touring muffler until I heard these. I remember one of my C5's having full bolt one with a Borla XR1. I couldn't even crank it in the morning if I wanted to drive it to work as I leave around 3:30am - 4:00am. It sounded like straight pipes from the headers back!

JockamoIPA 08-23-2018 08:26 PM

Bullets all the way!

duckvett 08-23-2018 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by robinsonlaird86 (Post 1597851925)

Corsa Sport - loud when you want it but quiet at cruise.

:cheers:

Rick369 08-23-2018 10:14 PM

Factory NPP. Best of both worlds. Loud when you want and quite when you want. When I was looking for mine, NPP was an obsolete must.

Jeff T. 08-23-2018 10:27 PM

Take a screwdriver and bang a bunch of holes in it. I read that in another thread.

BTW, please don't...

jrose7004 08-23-2018 10:42 PM

I've always liked the sound of Corsa's on a Corvette but I'm really happy with the NPP's on my Grand Sport.

Ladensack3 10-10-2018 02:04 PM

Sorry what is NPP?

Jeff T. 10-10-2018 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ladensack3 (Post 1598136038)
Sorry what is NPP?

A dual mode exhaust that was a factory option. Baffles opened and closed to increase or lower the sound.