CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   Best ZR1 Wheel and Tire setups for daily driving (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/4184136-best-zr1-wheel-and-tire-setups-for-daily-driving.html)

ericg03Z06 09-03-2018 12:16 PM

Best ZR1 Wheel and Tire setups for daily driving

Happy Labor Day everyone! I’m about to take delivery of my 2012 Centennial Edition ZR1 and of course I’m very excited. I’ve been looking for about a year and patience pays off. The car is equipped with PDE and I live in Los Angeles so I’m concerned with the tires being too sticky and picking up road debris, etc... Driving it around my local city, Manhattan, Hermosa and Redondo Beach is not an issue but the rest of LA and our Freeways concerns me.

I figure since I’m changing tires I might as well consider a lightweight monoblock wheel great for all around driving and performance. I want to keep strength in the wheel and reduce rotating weight. What are the ideal wheel and tire size setups? Best to stay with a 19 Front and 20 rear? What wheel manufacturer, HRE, Forgeline, etc??? I’d even like to keep a similar style/appearing wheel to the current Cup wheels. I really like how they look and compliment the car so a similar look, finish, etc.. Or if they are light enough I could buy another factory set and put different tires on it and keep the originals intact.

What about tires? I’m ok with running something with a little more grip in the rear? Not sure how some of the drag radial style tire/compound compares to an everyday high performance Michelin, Pirelli, etc...

Ultimately I would like something that does well for daily driving and is good enough for that time I feel spirited while driving around or to work. Thanks in advance for the insight and help.

tomcat11 09-03-2018 11:55 PM

Congradulations! I know your excitement. I felt the same way when I bought my Centennial Z06 (with the same wheels). The wheels are made for GM by Speedline and are pretty light. My car came with Michelin Pilot ZP's and they are stiff riding! Especially over expansion joints on the freeway. California roads utterly suck. Most people here apparently don't like the run flats and I completely understand why, but they do have pretty good grip and they do get warm and fairly sticky picking up everything they roll over. Unfortunately I have stone chips to prove it. I'll keep them cause they were already on the car and they seem to wear well plus the peace of mind you can keep running with a puncture. For the street the non run flats would be a good choice too. Just keep the AAA towing card handy.

ZF Six 09-04-2018 09:20 AM

Congrats on the purchase. You won't *need* to change the wheels unless you want to, the factory Cup wheels are fine for daily driving. Consider another tire if you're driving it often due to tread wear. The Cup 2s will wear out very quickly.

I have a 20/21" forged setup on my ZR1 and I think it rides better than it did on Cup wheels and runflats. But I also don't drive it daily.

WA 2 FST 09-04-2018 11:49 AM

You have lots of options, and will get a lot of opinions here. I went with a 19/19 setup, primarily because it offers more tire sizes and choices. Like you I wanted something that would put power to the ground better, but I didn't want to compromise the great handling capabilities of this vehicle. I went with Toyo R888Rs. 345/30-19 rear and 295/30-19 front. I think these hook as well as the Nitto NT05R drag radial just rolling out on the street, and they improve the handling capability over the car. Probably wouldn't want to get caught in a heavy downpour with these tires, but it is not my daily driver, so that is not a concern for me. I went with Forgeline wheels. Not cheap, but American-made and lightweight. There are plenty of designs out there, so you can find something close to the Cup wheels if you want to go aftermarket, but keep something that looks close to OEM. Edit... I see you're concerned with sticky tires picking up road debris... you're not going to get a tire that hooks better when trying to plant the power that _isn't_ sticky. So you will have to decide on that. May want to consider a clearbra or like product to protect the paint.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f1eaa06724.jpg

1qwkc6z06 09-05-2018 01:07 AM

I have factory size continentals on my car right now and it is a much better riding tire than the factory cup 2 tires. I think they carry a 30k mileage warranty as well.

ericg03Z06 09-05-2018 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST (Post 1597920470)
You have lots of options, and will get a lot of opinions here. I went with a 19/19 setup, primarily because it offers more tire sizes and choices. Like you I wanted something that would put power to the ground better, but I didn't want to compromise the great handling capabilities of this vehicle. I went with Toyo R888Rs. 345/30-19 rear and 295/30-19 front. I think these hook as well as the Nitto NT05R drag radial just rolling out on the street, and they improve the handling capability over the car. Probably wouldn't want to get caught in a heavy downpour with these tires, but it is not my daily driver, so that is not a concern for me. I went with Forgeline wheels. Not cheap, but American-made and lightweight. There are plenty of designs out there, so you can find something close to the Cup wheels if you want to go aftermarket, but keep something that looks close to OEM. Edit... I see you're concerned with sticky tires picking up road debris... you're not going to get a tire that hooks better when trying to plant the power that _isn't_ sticky. So you will have to decide on that. May want to consider a clearbra or like product to protect the paint.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f1eaa06724.jpg

Thank you and beautiful car, I always love how JSB looks especially on the ZR1. Are those Forgeline VX1’s or VX1R’s? I had been eyeing those on Forgeline’s website as they look the closest to factory cup wheels. I understand what you are saying about the better tires providing more grip and being sticky. I completely agree and need to evaluate my options as I want something that will put the power down in a straight line but always handle well in everyday driving. The car I purchased is not factory stock as it makes around 720Rwhp on 91 octane and I’m going to retune it for E85 since we have it available near my house in Torrance.

I’m also going to look at clear bra options and ceramic coating paint protection. Most of my cars have some hybrid of the two and my previous daily driver M5 had the entire car wrapped in XPEL. I’m contemplating doing that for the ZR1 and while it’s overkill it makes cleaning and paint maintenance so much easier.

WA 2 FST 09-05-2018 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by ericg03Z06 (Post 1597926075)

Thank you and beautiful car, I always love how JSB looks especially on the ZR1. Are those Forgeline VX1’s or VX1R’s?

Thank you!

These are VX1Rs.

PK Auto Design 09-05-2018 01:51 PM

Congrats on the new car sir !

So you have a few great options it all depends on style and budget you are working with.

But below is a list of popular brands we work with for the ZR1 application.

Forgestar
Forgeline
HRE Wheels
BC Forged

thewb 09-06-2018 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by ericg03Z06 (Post 1597914798)
Happy Labor Day everyone! I’m about to take delivery of my 2012 Centennial Edition ZR1 and of course I’m very excited. I’ve been looking for about a year and patience pays off. The car is equipped with PDE and I live in Los Angeles so I’m concerned with the tires being too sticky and picking up road debris, etc... Driving it around my local city, Manhattan, Hermosa and Redondo Beach is not an issue but the rest of LA and our Freeways concerns me.

I figure since I’m changing tires I might as well consider a lightweight monoblock wheel great for all around driving and performance. I want to keep strength in the wheel and reduce rotating weight. What are the ideal wheel and tire size setups? Best to stay with a 19 Front and 20 rear? What wheel manufacturer, HRE, Forgeline, etc??? I’d even like to keep a similar style/appearing wheel to the current Cup wheels. I really like how they look and compliment the car so a similar look, finish, etc.. Or if they are light enough I could buy another factory set and put different tires on it and keep the originals intact.

What about tires? I’m ok with running something with a little more grip in the rear? Not sure how some of the drag radial style tire/compound compares to an everyday high performance Michelin, Pirelli, etc...

Ultimately I would like something that does well for daily driving and is good enough for that time I feel spirited while driving around or to work. Thanks in advance for the insight and help.

Are these the cup wheels that are currently on the car?

You can't go wrong with either HRE or Forgeline. Both of them, along with BBS, are at the top of the wheel industry in regards to wheel quality.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fafcde6d2b.jpg

ericg03Z06 09-06-2018 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by thewb (Post 1597935215)
Are these the cup wheels that are currently on the car?

You can't go wrong with either HRE or Forgeline. Both of them, along with BBS, are at the top of the wheel industry in regards to wheel quality.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fafcde6d2b.jpg

Yes they are but Satin Black as that’s what came on the Centennial Edition.

thewb 09-06-2018 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by ericg03Z06 (Post 1597935347)

Yes they are but Satin Black as that’s what came on the Centennial Edition.

HRE offers the P201 (pictured on the Lamborghini below) but they only come in 20" sizing and above.

From Forgeline I think the EX1's look most similar to the Cup Wheels although not as close as the P201's.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c271adfafc.png

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7593/...804f8f14_h.jpg

CW4L 09-07-2018 12:41 PM

Give us a call or text 440-915-6166 best selection and BEST pricing on all our Forged wheels including

Forgeline
HRE
Brixton
PUR
Anrky

PK Auto Design 09-07-2018 02:50 PM

I also highly recommend for you to check out AL13 and BC Forged wheels as well.

We are a top dealer for all the brands mentioned in this thread, so Ill provide you truth to all brands pros cons styles and what can fit and work for your ride.

Looking forward to chatting with you today sir.

Paul A.

CamarosRus 10-02-2018 11:10 PM

I'm wanting 345/30-19 Tires for my new 19x12 Aftermarket Rear Wheels (19x10 Front) on my 2012 GrandSport

I'm seeing TWO Choices...

1) Michelin Super Sport (Is this tire now obsolete and will it be available in the future)
2) Nitto Invo $368 each at Discount

CamarosRus 11-28-2018 08:15 PM

Ive made the decision to use:

Front 295/30-19 Michelin Super Sport on Front 19x10.5 Wheels (possibly off set of 42???)
Rear 345/30-19 Michelin Super Sport on Rear 19x12 Wheels Offset/ET 50

This will give same 1.1 inch Dia Difference ....SAME Dia Difference
as my OE 275/35-18 Front and 325/30-19 Rear

Apocolipse 11-29-2018 08:31 AM

Good call...invo are poop

polyol 11-29-2018 09:27 AM

Yes, nice setup...go with god!

thewb 11-29-2018 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by CamarosRus (Post 1598411675)
Ive made the decision to use:

Front 295/30-19 Michelin Super Sport on Front 19x10.5 Wheels (possibly off set of 42???)
Rear 345/30-19 Michelin Super Sport on Rear 19x12 Wheels Offset/ET 50

This will give same 1.1 inch Dia Difference ....SAME Dia Difference
as my OE 275/35-18 Front and 325/30-19 Rear

Have you considered Toyo R888R's? It's a much more performance focused tire compared to MPSS. No doubt MPSS will last longer and be safer to use in wet/cold weather though.

seamus2154 11-29-2018 11:27 PM

I run Toyo R888's at the track and that is where they belong. Great tire, and can handle a little rain for a Race compound tire. I hate them on the street. They whine. Just too noisy. Michelin's are the best street tire for this car.

mirage2991 11-30-2018 09:28 AM

I run Forgestar 19" all the way around with Continentals. Continental were much cheaper, yet seems to grip as well as any other tires, quiet too.