CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Cars (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars-24/)
-   -   Ferrari Scuderia Use (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars/4185437-ferrari-scuderia-use.html)

61 Roadster 09-06-2018 10:34 PM

Ferrari Scuderia Use

I've seen the optional yellow shield placed on the front side fender of new road going Ferrari's (for a sizable cost from the factory), but I was wondering if there is any controversy or distaste regarding this practice among the loyalists or historically based fans of the marque? I have absolutely no dog (or horse) in this fight; the question occurred as I was watching the recent film "Ferrari: Race to Immortality (2017). Just wondering...

Thanks to anyone who might know...

lionsfan5454 09-07-2018 12:08 PM

IMHO they're tacky. We already can tell you're driving a Ferrari

Velocity_Vette 09-07-2018 12:35 PM

The price of the shields from the factory has brought up a strong aftermarket for a solid cost alternative (even Ferrari owners like to save a little change now and then). This market some time back was not the best as what was being created was of very poor quality, but the procedures and investments into the products mean that they've come a long way and Ferrari's not equipped with the shield badges can now easily have very convincing replicas installed. Another consideration also is that the buyer base for Ferrari is both a lot younger and larger than it used to be even ten to twenty years ago, so the acceptance of multiple Ferrari badges, insignia, and styles is more pronounced among the buyer base.

I don't think anything like fender insignia is hurting the value of the cars if that's what you're getting at. If anything, most entry Ferrari buyers are looking for really good deals on the general line up so if more products are installed it's "better" for them ('Challenge' grills, upgraded interior bits, etc). In terms of value which is quickly being proven with the Ferrari "bubble" going on (if you believe what critics write about) is odd exterior colors and option sets are more of a consideration towards value. One good thing I foresee out of the larger buyer base of hyper exotics is said marques are now offering a lot to their buyers which is creating some unique cars. An example with Ferrari specifically is that while their models are supplied with specific colors they have been known to paint them most any color you want within the FIAT umbrella of color spectrum as long as you're willing to throw money at them and are only negated by the most special of special editions.

61 Roadster 09-08-2018 01:19 AM

My question is regarding the now common use of the yellow badges/shields; Shouldn't they be restricted to actual race cars as they once were in the past? The current practice of slapping them on road going cars seems to "water down" the pedigree.

Velocity_Vette 09-09-2018 11:45 AM

Well if you're going off the definition of "race car" then that would be most every Ferrari model, considering even their Grand Tourers and 2+2s are quite a league above similar cars in that class.

IMO.