CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-forced-induction-nitrous-173/)
-   -   Header options? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-forced-induction-nitrous/4185903-header-options.html)

saleen556 09-08-2018 10:48 AM

Header options?

What options do we have to remain emission compliant? I know longtubes are out. Considering doing the Heartbeat on my 17 Z06 and believe I’ll need to upgrade them as well.

robert miller 09-14-2018 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by saleen556 (Post 1597945579)
What options do we have to remain emission compliant? I know longtubes are out. Considering doing the Heartbeat on my 17 Z06 and believe I’ll need to upgrade them as well.

The only thing in a header you can put onto the car is a shorty header. If me & only was looking to do this I would just keep the stock exhaust on it since it is a z06. Robert

saleen556 09-14-2018 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by robert miller (Post 1597982523)
The only thing in a header you can put onto the car is a shorty header. If me & only was looking to do this I would just keep the stock exhaust on it since it is a z06. Robert

Thanks for the response. That’s what I was thinking after more research. I was able to do mid lengths on my 02 Saleen and still pass emissions. Just don’t think it’s possibles here in Oregon these days.

robert miller 09-19-2018 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by saleen556 (Post 1597983115)

Thanks for the response. That’s what I was thinking after more research. I was able to do mid lengths on my 02 Saleen and still pass emissions. Just don’t think it’s possibles here in Oregon these days.

A few guys in here DID use the stock Z06 stuff then ported it out some on the inside of it THEN had a shop to do the coating on them on the inside & out & said did get just a few more rwhp from them. I really would do this then to spend the money on a shorty header, Plus it will still look stock & the Z06 stuff is better & liter. Robert

saleen556 09-19-2018 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by robert miller (Post 1598015827)
A few guys in here DID use the stock Z06 stuff then ported it out some on the inside of it THEN had a shop to do the coating on them on the inside & out & said did get just a few more rwhp from them. I really would do this then to spend the money on a shorty header, Plus it will still look stock & the Z06 stuff is better & liter. Robert

That’s very creative 😄

3 Z06ZR1 09-19-2018 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by saleen556 (Post 1597983115)

Where in Oregon? I think Portland is the only area. No emissions here or on the coast. Portland is going crazy anymore I moved out of that area.

saleen556 09-19-2018 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 (Post 1598015892)
Where in Oregon? I think Portland is the only area. No emissions here or on the coast. Portland is going crazy anymore I moved out of that area.

I’m in Forest Grove and work in Portland. Trying to plan ahead on my build. I’m going to most likely upgrade the blower to the Heartbeat when my warranty is up.

TurboLX 09-20-2018 10:29 AM

Your only truly legal option is to retain the factory catalyst in its stock location. That means a stock exhaust manifold or a CARB compliant shorty. When you look at the Z06 manifold, it actually flows quite well and is not the bottleneck. Upgrading to longtubes typically only gives more power because they are also replacing the catalyst, which will not pass emissions. I would concentrate on upgrades elsewhere. The benefit isn't really worth the cost here if you wish to remain emissions compliant.