CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 ZR-1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion-50/)
-   -   New Tires (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion/4187513-new-tires.html)

juergenc478 09-12-2018 04:20 PM

New Tires

Hello!
i want to buy new tires in oem sizes 275/40R17 & 315/35R17.

I want to choice between Toyo Proxes R888 or GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D3.

Do you have experience about handling dry and wet, stability and life period?

Thanks &
Best Regards
Juergen

ghlkal 09-12-2018 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by juergenc478 (Post 1597971089)

(you'll get lots of opinions, here's mine)
The Eagle F1s are the best tires I have ever had on the ZR-1. Wet traction is outstanding, as is dry traction. No noise. They track true. Good ride quality. They look cool.

I haven't had Toyo's on the Z, but I have on another vehicle. Compared to the Nittos, Sumitomos, and Michelins I've had on the Z, the Goodyears are far superior IMHO. YMMV.

Dredgeguy 09-13-2018 07:08 AM

Hello!

Thanks &
Best Regards
Juergen

I have been riding on the Michelin Pilot Sport 2's. You can get the front in the stock ZR-1 size but for rear you will need to use 335/35 which fit fine. Only minor issue is your spedo will be off by about 2 or 3 MPH. They are excellent wet and dry and best riding tire IMO. They have 20000 mile warranty and right now I am at 24000 miles with about 5000 mile life still left in them.

Rkreigh 09-13-2018 07:39 AM

Hello!

Thanks &
Best Regards
Juergen

different animals. the toyo is a super aggressive gumball auto cross tire that while streetable, is designed for racing.

that said, I love em. I run the older toyo ra1 which is the predecessor and it's a fantastic tire. hooks well and handles great.

for stock hp levels, I thing the GY might be a more practical and better choice, but if you want to hang a corner, the 888 sticks like grim death.

EvanZR1 09-13-2018 01:14 PM

GY F1 if you drive the car a lot including in the rain. R888R if it's a weekend/nice weather car and want the ultimate grip.

FYI, R888 has be superseded by R888R, which is even grippier while not having any downsides versus R888.

ZR1Bob 09-15-2018 12:37 PM

When I had my '95, back in 2015 I got a set of Michelin Pilot Sports (excellent tires) from Costco. Fronts were the correct size; rears were 335s, which was fine with me. Extremely good price and warranties. They were understanding of the tire pressure monitors and did not break them. I'd suggest you check with them if you have one nearby. --Bob

phrogs 09-15-2018 06:18 PM

Tire noise has a lot to.do with how the road is constructed not everything is black top.

but Never had the toyos I loved tge goodyears. Had them on year round daily driving my ZR-1 when I lived in Jacksonville NC.

it snlws there very rarely but it does get cold in the winter. These tires never let me down Great in wet weather.

same place with my other ZR-1, I had sumutomos or whatever they are. Were like ice skates in the cold weather.

Paul Workman 09-19-2018 01:23 PM

My experience is limited to the GY 'D3s you mentioned, the BFG G-FORCE RIVALs (equiv), and the Nitto 555/555r

The GY 'D3s were excellent street and spirited driving summer tire. And, they had excellent wet traction! A R&T test eval of some years ago on the test vehicle on the 'D3s made .95G on dry skid pad, and (IIRC) .92G on the WET skid pad. Impressive!

FWIW, I had the impromptu "opportunity" to test the wet grip during a spirited romp in some local twisties. As it were, I was already putting what I considered about the limit into the tires on the blind curve when I came to a wet patch. But, (WTF!) here was this on-coming pick-up truck that was taking up half of MY LANE. Picture it: pushing the tires to what I considered near the limit on DRY pavement to begin with, suddenly finding myself on a wet pavement patch, AND having to input even MORE demand on the tires to avoid hitting this jackass. It was the "worse case scenario" I could imagine (or had ever been in to that date)! Those D3s took it all in stride. W/o a whimper, they pulled the car even deeper into the corner than I would have dreamed of attempting ordinarily. Those tires I figure saved my bacon! (As a matter of fact, I already HAD the same experience once before in a rental car (tires unknown) which didn't turn out so well. So, imagine my relief when the deja-vu scenario didn't end with the former result!)

I'm a WARRIOR (not a WAXER) and on the drag strip the 'D3s were less than up to the task. Lots of slipping in the hole, in spite of burnouts. But, to be practical, I only do the 1/4 mile thing rarely (more of a "twisties" kind of guy). And, also I can report they loose a significant grip in/at freezing temps and below,

Price wise when they are available, runs in the $1400 to $1500 for a set.

Nitto 555 and 555r: For spirited road course stuff (e.g., "mountain runs", etc.) and occasional drag strip stuff, the Nittos fill the bill perfectly. And, the upgrade of the 555 is their 555 G2. From my experience (so far), the 555s are NOT so good when water is sheeting on the pavement. My ZR-1 starts to get a little squirrely above 49 mph with the 555/555r combination. However, the 555 G2s give me another 10-15 mph above where the older 555s were apparently at the limit. And, for performance on dry (summer) I'd put them high on the road performance scale as they are "well behaved" when they exceed traction limits, i.e., they transition from gripping to slipping predictably and w/o suddenly loosing grip. (Several ventures on several Mountain Runs - including the Rocky Mts - and they (555/555f) transition into drifting quite gently, I find.)

On the down side, they are defiantly a SUMMER tire. Anything near or below mid 30s (šF) and their performance is significantly diminished...seriously! But, in their favor, they run just under $900 a set for the ZR-1 including road hazard.

BFG G-FORCE: My experience is limited. Best I could say is they felt similar to the Nittos - the standard (older) 555s, but NOT the G2s!

Maybe some day I'll get to try the "Pilots" or the "triple 8s".

I dunno if this helps, but from one WARRIOR's experience - there ya have it!

gpierce 09-21-2018 12:24 AM

Choosing between those two, I'd get the Goodyears.

That said, I am using the Mickey Thompson Street Comp in those sizes as Summit Racing carries them and will ship internationally. I like them so far:)

juergenc478 09-21-2018 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by gpierce (Post 1598022792)
Choosing between those two, I'd get the Goodyears.

That said, I am using the Mickey Thompson Street Comp in those sizes as Summit Racing carries them and will ship internationally. I like them so far:)

The MT have DOT for Europe?

juergenc478 09-21-2018 02:19 PM

Still i'm using BF Goodrich TA KD. It was a good tire. But now it get's old and BF stopped the production :-(

gpierce 09-22-2018 04:20 AM

I'm not sure if they are certified for Eu, do you know what markings they are supposed to have?

juergenc478 09-24-2018 12:46 AM

DOT and ECE-R (117) which is printed as "E"or "e" with a number for the first registered EU-State for example E12
Usually DOT, production date and E-label are printed togehter.

gpierce 09-24-2018 12:59 AM

Good news and bad news then I guess. The 315/35's have E11 stamped on them, but the 275/45s have no "E" stamp at all in the same place.

Here's a pic of each.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b1b1e5c8c.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...4ae46086b.jpeg

gpierce 09-24-2018 01:06 AM

Here's the US DOT markings.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fbf747d7ee.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...80462010b0.jpg

RICHARD TILL 09-24-2018 08:14 AM

Don`t make the mistake of buying Nitto NT555`s. I did and wouldn`t cry a tear if a railroad spike got both of them today. Poor sidewall strength. I liked my totally worn out Goodyears better.

juergenc478 01-20-2019 09:56 AM

Hello!

Iīm still looking for new tires and iīve read a lot of this topic also in many other forums.
OEM sizes 275/40R17 & 315/35R17

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3
Itīs an old model but the best choise for daily drivers in dry and wet conditions with long lifetime on miles / kilometers. Negative: expensive price

Mickey Thompson
"ET Street S/S" - a semi Slick is only for the track (also like the Toyo R888 or R888R). Also at a perfect summer day itīs possible to get rain and i donīt want to drive a semi slick at wet condition.
" Street Comp" - many guys gave verry good ratings for this model. They also mean itīs from driving conditions the same or even better as the Goodyear. But also i find opinions the Nitto is the better tire.

Nitto
A company from Toyo tires. Toyo makes very good tire.
A lot of models are for the ZR1 OEM sizes: NT05, NT05R, NT555R, NT555G2 etc. Most of the guys reported for the NT555 series. The NT555G2 should be verry better as the Goodyear but also lose extreme of grip after only 1 month of using - so also no good choice. The NT555R (i read on one HP only for rear? ) have only positive experiences but you will also find general opinions "Never buy a Nitto" and so iīm again at the beginning of this Topic.

Toyo
Than i find the opinion the Toyo Proxes TQ should be the best alternative to Goodyear for street use. No other tire can reach the performance of the Proxes TQ.
​​

Currently i think, if you donīt want to make any experiments, the best choice would be the good old Goodyear. If you are only a sunshine-weekend-driver, if you get in rain to bring your car slowly and safe at home also a tire like the Toyo Proxes TQ or Nitto NT555R would be an alternative. But i also never drived this tires, itīs only a summary of the internet threads.

Best regards
Juergen

EvanZR1 01-21-2019 02:35 PM

Have had the GY F1 GS-D3, they are a great tire. Great for a frequent/daily driver, but also good for a weekend car, unless you're looking for max grip.

Mickey Thompson
ET Street S/S is for drag use only, and should not be used for any regular street use. That tire is dangerous if you don't realize what you're getting, as it's a whole different level than something like a Nitto 555R drag radial that is still a good street tire. The M/T has lots of wobble at high speeds and under heavy braking, and absolutely should never be driven in the wet (even damp) conditions. I had these for a brief moment on my 700 wheel HP '13 GS, and I couldn't get them off fast enough. Put maybe 300 miles on them and one 1/2 mile event and then yanked them off and sold them at a loss.
As for the Street Comp, it's just someone else's tire re branded as an M/T (think it's either Cooper or Federal, can't remember off hand). Probably a decent tire, but certainly much better choices out there.

Toyo: If you want max grip for occasional street (weekend car) that will see little/no wet weather, then get the Toyo R888R. Amazing grip, but will wear quicker, is noisier, and not as good in the wet (especially once the tread wears down).

Nitto:
NT555R: Great drag radial that can be used as a street tire and even autox/road course tire. Have run these on multiple cars with good success, but the model is getting a little long in the tooth at this point with better choices available (Toyo R888R).
NT01/NT05R: Both similar to Toyo R888R (not surprising since Nitto & Toyo are really the same company). I personally think the tread pattern on the Toyo looks like it would handle wet weather better, and this seems to be backed up by users' real world experience, and the Toyo seems to perform equal/better in the dry.

Personally, I'm about to put Toyo R888Rs on mine.

Also, one thing to think about, if you don't drive the car a lot, even if you have plenty of tread, the rubber compound still wears over time and grip will decrease. I bought Shelby wheels with almost 10 year old Michelin PS2s, and while they have plenty of tread, they have almost zero grip. WAY less than the GY F1s on my previous wheels that were about 3 years old. So if you only drive on weekends/nice days, going with street/track tires really doesn't loose anything mileage wise.

zr1fred 01-24-2019 08:44 AM

The cheapest I found were Toyo EXTENSA HP II All-Season at Amazon.$500 delivered to the door (both 275s and 315s). Seem to be comparable to the Sumis. Not in the same league as the Goodyear's, but don't hurt near as bad when you throw them away with 95% tread in a few years.

juergenc478 01-30-2019 12:40 AM

Today i know this:

The R888 must have E4 in 275/40R17 & 315/35 R17. But Toyo stopped production 3 years ago. And so you will buy old tires.

Mickey Thompson street comp in 315/35R17 have the E-Mark E11. On the 275/40R17 seems there is no E-Mark

Is see Nitto NT4 in some dimension with E4 and also the Toyo R888R. But i don't know if 275/40R17 & 315/35R17 have thre E-Mark.