CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Broken bolt non corvette (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4187728-broken-bolt-non-corvette.html)

prestige6 09-13-2018 09:31 AM

Broken bolt non corvette

I was removing the water pump and timing case cover on a 66 389 gto I bought. The 2 top 3/8s bolts that hold the timing case cover on snapped in the engine block when removing. About a 1/4 inch is sticking out. Any good ideas how to remove these. I don't have torches.

Frankie the Fink 09-13-2018 09:48 AM

Soak in PB-Blaster for several hours -- go to Ace Hardware and buy an inexpensive propane torch and heat the area (have a fire extinguisher handy) get a good beefy set of vice grips and clamp down HARD on the bolt remnants....rock the nub carefully back and forth and you may get lucky.

If that doesn't work you've got a bigger problem...

Pop Chevy 09-13-2018 09:49 AM

Do you have a buddy with a little mig welder ? Weld a nut onto the broken stud. This works pretty well.

427/42566 coup 09-13-2018 09:54 AM

easy out if you can drill hole in bolt for easy out I removed broken float bowl screw in holly carb. Also might try some heat if you have room. Also vice grips .might work

dcamick 09-13-2018 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by prestige6 (Post 1597974867)
I was removing the water pump and timing case cover on a 66 389 gto I bought. The 2 top 3/8s bolts that hold the timing case cover on snapped in the engine block when removing. About a 1/4 inch is sticking out. Any good ideas how to remove these. I don't have torches.

Here is what I would try....since you have something to grab, I would attempt to grab with Visegrips after drenching and letting set for a while with a WD40 type product. Maybe apply (if possible) some heat. to the end of the broken bolt. If you dont have any heat Try to hit the end of the broken bolt after the WD40 Penetrates then use the CL's

There are drill bits that might grab the stud but I would try to get a pair of Visegrips on them....JMO!

Good luck!
:cheers:

prestige6 09-13-2018 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1597974970)
Soak in PB-Blaster for several hours -- go to Ace Hardware and buy an inexpensive propane torch and heat the area (have a fire extinguisher handy) get a good beefy set of vice grips and clamp down HARD on the bolt remnants....rock the nub carefully back and forth and you may get lucky.

If that doesn't work you've got a bigger problem...

Don't think I have enough bolt left to grab with vise grips or channel locks.

Frankie the Fink 09-13-2018 10:11 AM

You might be surprised what you can do with a good set of vice grips with pristine jaws....
IMO there is about zero chance of channel locks working in this case

If that doesn't work you need help beyond your expertise.

I don't recommend a novice trying to use an easy out on an expensive engine block...but its your car....

SupremeDeluxe 09-13-2018 10:14 AM

I would soak it with AeroKroil for a few days successively. PB Blaster and WD-40 are a joke compared to AK. That is as loose as it will get. Then drill out the center and use stud extractors to back the broken piece out....

hedgehead 09-13-2018 10:14 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cfed77fa7f.jpg

Vette5311 09-13-2018 11:03 AM

Never seen this before

Originally Posted by hedgehead (Post 1597975155)

who sells them? Thx

Frankie the Fink 09-13-2018 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe (Post 1597975151)
I would soak it with AeroKroil for a few days successively. PB Blaster and WD-40 are a joke compared to AK. That is as loose as it will get. Then drill out the center and use stud extractors to back the broken piece out....

For that matter a 50/50 mix of Acetone and ATF fluid beats nearly all of the off-the-shelf penetrating products...there was a study of this topic on here not all that long ago...

58n65 09-13-2018 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Vette5311 (Post 1597975476)
who sells them? Thx

I bought a Craftsman set. I've used them in the past, but haven't been overly crazy about them. If the bolt is really stuck, then they tend to just strip the head even more. Just my opinion.

Thanks,
Dex.

rongold 09-13-2018 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by hedgehead (Post 1597975155)

Those are for bolts with stripped heads---NOT for bolts with no heads !!!

hedgehead 09-13-2018 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Vette5311 (Post 1597975476)
who sells them? Thx

Most big box building supplies like home depot or lowes, mine are craftsman. If you can grab a bite of the bolt, you are home free.

Gavin65 09-13-2018 11:49 AM

If you have 1/4 of the bolt left, some penetrating fluid and good vice grips, not channel locks, a little heat from a propane torch and you will get those bolts out.

Factoid 09-13-2018 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1597975675)
For that matter a 50/50 mix of Acetone and ATF fluid beats nearly all of the off-the-shelf penetrating products...there was a study of this topic on here not all that long ago...

This is the best advice for a good penetrating solution. Heat first, then Penetrating oil. The heat helps it get into the threads.

Pop’s suggestion of the mig welder (weld a nut to the remaining bolt threads) is a good one. You introduce heat and get a surface to crank on. Those aren’t 3/8” bolts, they are 1/4” bolts and fairly easy to break the heads off. It’s not because they were torqued, it’s because they are corroded. You have to break the bond of corrosion, so heat and a good penetration solution are your friend. Given the small diameter of the threads, easy outs are very difficult to use with success. If you haven’t broken the corrosive bond, the easy out tends to break causing an even bigger problem. Plus, it is very difficult to drill the required pilot hole in the remaining stud without damaging the block. Do this right and do it once!

GTOguy 09-13-2018 12:14 PM

Pics? Have owned 9 GTO's, -----still own two---- over the past 40 years....and have never, ever, seen one of the timing cover- to -block studs or bolts break off. They are as strong as motor mount bolts, and are in an oily area of the engine. Yours must have been underwater outside for years? The only bolt everybody breaks is the long 7/16" headed one that ties the intake to the back of the timing cover at the '0'ring.

Vette5311 09-13-2018 12:22 PM

If all else fails I have had luck in this type of situation with left handed drill bits. Warning - be sure you have the hole centered it the bolt and drill straight or you will be doing an insert. Now having said that, do the penetrating solvent and heating first also. Sometimes the heat from drilling left hand will back the broken fastener out as you are drilling. good luck

cblankin 09-13-2018 12:22 PM

I would weld a nut to the remaining 1/4 of the bolt. Get somebody who can weld do it for you. A lot of the Mig welders operate on 110/120 volts. Clean the remaining portion of the
bolt real well to insure a good weld. I would use the PB Blaster or similar product after I got the nut welded to the remaining portion of the bolt while the weld is still hot. The heat will
help draw the PB Blaster or similar product to the broken off portion. I don't believe drilling a hole and trying to use a ez-out will work. Trying to remove a broker ez-out is not for the faint
of heart. It might be time to consider towing it to a machine shop or pulling the engine and taking it to them.

prestige6 09-13-2018 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Factoid (Post 1597975958)

This is the best advice for a good penetrating solution. Heat first, then Penetrating oil. The heat helps it get into the threads.

Pop’s suggestion of the mig welder (weld a nut to the remaining bolt threads) is a good one. You introduce heat and get a surface to crank on. Those aren’t 3/8” bolts, they are 1/4” bolts and fairly easy to break the heads off. It’s not because they were torqued, it’s because they are corroded. You have to break the bond of corrosion, so heat and a good penetration solution are your friend. Given the small diameter of the threads, easy outs are very difficult to use with success. If you haven’t broken the corrosive bond, the easy out tends to break causing an even bigger problem. Plus, it is very difficult to drill the required pilot hole in the remaining stud without damaging the block. Do this right and do it once!

They are 3/8 bolts. I know my sizes.