CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   piller post weatherstrip lower end question? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4187905-piller-post-weatherstrip-lower-end-question.html)

stingraygene 09-13-2018 05:35 PM

piller post weatherstrip lower end question?

I ordered the weatherstrip kit for my 71. all the weatherstripping except one rear piece by window glass was removed before I got the car. so.. I'm shooting somewhat in the dark putting them on as I have nothing to look at except pics on net. I see the front rubber moulding piece for the piller goes on the metal bracket and has screw holes to mount to post. but the lower piece of the same moulding kind of hangs down and follows door opening for about 5 inches. I see one screw hole in that section of moulding and I see the hole in the car there.. but towards end of that weather strip their isn't a hole but a indentation in molding with steel inside it.. am I to drill a hole in that and screw/pop-rivet it too or just go with the one hole in that lower piece of the rubber moulding?

DUB 09-13-2018 05:47 PM

If you have holes in the lower extension of the pillar post w/strip. I would double check and make sure that there is not a hole for the screw.

It takes two pan head Phillips head screws to hold the extension to the steel portion of the car. And Your extension should have steel vulcanized in it when it was made.

Then you should have a screw that will hold the portion of the w/strip right near where the extension begins to flow into the main section that goes in the track where the w/strip is thin. The one more screw at the very top of the w/strip.

Hopefully your pillar post w./strips are really soft ....because some of these w/strips can be rather dense and cause for the windows to not want to roll all the way up and bind if you have power windows and the doors are shut..

DUB

stingraygene 09-13-2018 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by DUB (Post 1597978357)
If you have holes in the lower extension of the pillar post w/strip. I would double check and make sure that there is not a hole for the screw.

It takes two pan head Phillips head screws to hold the extension to the steel portion of the car. And Your extension should have steel vulcanized in it when it was made.

Then you should have a screw that will hold the portion of the w/strip right near where the extension begins to flow into the main section that goes in the track where the w/strip is thin. The one more screw at the very top of the w/strip.

Hopefully your pillar post w./strips are really soft ....because some of these w/strips can be rather dense and cause for the windows to not want to roll all the way up and bind if you have power windows and the doors are shut..

DUB

thanks- they seem to be quite soft. so not counying the weatherstrip part that the glass goes up against but the lower short piece that follows the door curve should have 2 panhead screws? I saw one hole but the rubber may be covering the other hole. I also read to not use screws by glass area as can chip glass? I may be miss-understanding. I would think if attached right and aligned pretty good should be ok right? Thanks DUB for all your help.

Easy Mike 09-14-2018 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by stingraygene (Post 1597978263)
...I'm shooting somewhat in the dark putting them on as I have nothing to look at except pics on net...

FWIW: the assembly instruction manual (AIM) shows weather strip installation. It could save you some surfing time.

stingraygene 09-14-2018 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Easy Mike (Post 1597980875)
FWIW: the assembly instruction manual (AIM) shows weather strip installation. It cold save you some surfing time.

where would one get this manual?

Easy Mike 09-14-2018 08:36 AM

Most all the Corvette vendors carry the AIMs. You can get them hard copy to fit a three ring binder, or get CD versions.

stingraygene 09-14-2018 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Easy Mike (Post 1597981196)
Most all the Corvette vendors carry the AIMs. You can get them hard copy to fit a three ring binder, or get CD versions.

Thank You! - why is it called AIMs? ..sorry- I'm just learning my way around these

69L46vert 09-14-2018 09:12 AM

Assembly Instruction Manual. I'd bet the holes are there, They're probably just covered in rubber like Dub said. If you poke around a little you might find them.

DUB 09-14-2018 12:44 PM

WITHOUT A DOUBT...there are two screws that will hold the cupped extension portion of the pillar post w/strip. Then another further up where it gets thin like I mentioned. and one at the top.

YES...I have lost count on the number of these w/strips I have had to install where the holes have been coved and I need to poke them out to put a screw where it belongs.

DUB

stingraygene 09-14-2018 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by DUB (Post 1597982931)
WITHOUT A DOUBT...there are two screws that will hold the cupped extension portion of the pillar post w/strip. Then another further up where it gets thin like I mentioned. and one at the top.

YES...I have lost count on the number of these w/strips I have had to install where the holes have been coved and I need to poke them out to put a screw where it belongs.

DUB

Thanks again.. I'll look today when time permits. I got yellow weather strip adhesive with rubber kit but upon info on this site sounds like 3M black is better- so went and got that too.

DUB 09-14-2018 12:57 PM

To be honest with you. On that section of your pillar post w/strip where this cupped extension is going to be touching. I do not use w/strip glue. I instead us a soft non-hardening sealant between it and the body. Some of 3M's back strip caulk can be used there but I use CR Laurence part # 7708 and apply some there and let it slightly ooze out so I know for a fact that no water will get between this extension piece and the body and allow water to sit in there and allow rust to develop.

You do not have to use what I sue ...but I would advise some type of non hardening sealant there...regardless GM had any there or not. Or use what you wish.

DUB

69L46vert 09-14-2018 04:20 PM

Another tip might be to use some type of lubricant like armor all or something where there is an interference fit. . When it's new it can be grabby and might pull and tear when closing the door. Same for where the window rides up and down on it. At least until it breaks in for a bit. The lower part is a critical area for keeping the water on the outside and using just w/s adhesive might be considered marginal. I used 3m strip caulk just because I already had it for other parts of the weatherstripping. I had some urethane but figured that would be overkill. After rebuilding the entire car, I found that doing a nice job on the weatherstripping one of the more challenging jobs.