CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Why New Mid-Engine Vette Is Trouble for Italy (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4187931-why-new-mid-engine-vette-is-trouble-for-italy.html)

Curated Content Editor 09-13-2018 06:20 PM

Why New Mid-Engine Vette Is Trouble for Italy

Why New Mid-Engine Vette Is Trouble for Italy
By Christopher Hurst

A mid-engine Corvette is on the horizon. What does this mean for the rest of the industry? If GM’s track record is anything to go by, it can be summed up in one word: trouble.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3281f55031.png

Johnsrx7 09-13-2018 06:37 PM

Honda/acura put them on notice with the original NSX, GM is going to put them over the edge.

MitchAlsup 09-13-2018 07:22 PM

It is nearly a complete fallacy to compare a $400K car with a $65K car, buyers simply do not cross shop stuff this far apart.

Mjolitor 68 09-13-2018 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup (Post 1597978982)
It is nearly a complete fallacy to compare a $400K car with a $65K car, buyers simply do not cross shop stuff this far apart.

‘true but I just ordered my Aventador SV Jota

and I’m getting a C8 Z06 cus they’re both cool & beautiful

Yarbie 09-13-2018 08:47 PM

Italy is laughing at this goofy as hell post. U must be a comedian for a living. Its gonna be a 60k Corvette nothing more.
Its like comparing a Stealth fighter to a toy drone. Too funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Zo62018A8 09-13-2018 08:55 PM

So how will it compare to this car realistically? Performance wise I think the z06 already beats it.

23/C8Z 09-13-2018 10:13 PM

Delusional if you believe the C8 is going to be a smashing hit I'm a realist

this car is going to be full of bugs probably throughout the entire generation

the C9 or the C 8.5 will be the car to have

pietro c7 09-13-2018 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z (Post 1597979884)

I’ll tell you all about it .
I’m going to be the voluntary guiny pig,
first one at my dealership...can’t wait.

NineVettes 09-13-2018 10:39 PM

Sorry, disagree. And I am a Z06 guy who owned one C5 version, two C6 versions, and just bought a '19 Z06. And I had a C4 and C6 ZR1. Just cannot compare them with a 720s, or a Ferrari 488 Pista (my favorite). Its not all about performance, its about the whole experience associated with owning something pretty rare, drop dead gorgeous, beautiful in every aspect inside and out. A Corvette is by definition and necessity at its price points, and required compromises is not at that level. I love my new car, but I would exchange it in a heartbeat for the Ferrari Pista or 720s, but I don't have an extra $320 grand lying around for a car. And even if the high performance version of the ME can outperform the 711 h/p 3100 lb rolling piece of technology, design, style, and engineering that is the Ferrari, its not particularly relevant. I probably have done more track time than 95% of Vette owners, but I am not running at the "RIng, although I may do a club day at Daytona, which is fairly close to me.

It ain't about that - and if you are a car guy or gal you get it. And if you are not, I can't explain it.

DaveFerrari458 09-13-2018 11:00 PM

So many ignorant remarks or just haters! Relax, the car is not out yet! We don't even know what it will costs! And so what if the car may have some issues in its first couple of years! The ones who want one will get one a soon as they're able to like Pietro7 said.

And why are some are you on here if all you want to do is sh!t on the Corvette?? Asking for improvements is normal but always sh!tting on the car is not! Don't you have other things to do in life??? Also, just because a Corvette doesn't costs $300K doesn't mean it's not very, very desirable and in the dreams of probably just as many people as a Ferrari, Lambo, etc. When I was a kid I had my walls covered with Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche (don't like them anymore) AND CORVETTE'S posters. I dreamt about owning one just as much as I dreamt of owning a Ferrari and didn't think even as a kid that hey the Corvette is not as expensive so I shouldn't desire it as much! Chill with the constant Corvette bashing!!

WhiteDiamond 09-13-2018 11:15 PM

The simple fact is: A Ferrari is a Ferrari and a Corvette is a Chevy.......
I have no doubt GM is going to put the halo C8 performance versions in a position to challenge the worlds best, but it won't matter. The day I make it in this world, financially, I am putting the money on the table for the Ferrari. I'll keep my Vette(s) as well.

Sin City 09-14-2018 12:48 AM

Trust me... Ferrari is NOT quaking in its boots over the C8

Vette_Pilot 09-14-2018 07:58 AM

I want to see this toy in person, and a few on the road before I can voice my opinion!!! :willy:

NY09C6 09-14-2018 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup

This.

It is the status not the performance.

Suns_PSD 09-14-2018 09:00 AM

Making a 'cost is no object' car perform great is easy. Making a 'cost is a very critical factor' car perform great, often out performing those 'no object' cars is where the real engineering prowess comes in.

Is Ferrari scared of GM? No. Ferrari knows for a fact that they don't even operate in the same sphere as GM. They would kill for those truck/ SUV profits and parts/ service that they will never have. One is a boutique brand, the other is a top 3 on the planet in regards to every aspect that an automotive business judges themselves by.

Mike Campbell 09-14-2018 09:08 AM

When I read many of these comments I always like to repeat this story about when my buddy and me were attending the Cars on Fifth Car show, held every February in Naples Florida. This show is sponsored by the Ferrari Club of Naples and they invite all the local car clubs and there's a every exotic , classic and sports cars you can think of there. Well, this was the show in 2015 and I was sitting with my buddy and lot's of folks were stopping and checking out my White Stingray . One guy stopped and told us he belonged to the Ferrari Club and owned 2 of them. He also pointed out his beautiful Silver Blue Masserati Convertible and told us he just ordered a AW Stingray like mine. He said he had a house up near Hilton head and comes down to Naples in the winter and he would take one of his 2 Ferrari's to the local track. It's the Roebling track where Auto Week tests their cars. He said he was buzzing along but couldn't lose a White Stingray behind him. Then he said, "I was amazed when the guy passed me!" So after he finished he went over and talked with the owner and later called the local Chevy dealer to test drive one. He said he was so impressed he ordered one. My buddy asked him, "How much does a oil change cost in your Ferrari?" He said just about $3,000.00." My buddy answered him and said, " $49.99's gonna sound really good to you!":lol: We all laughed and wished him good luck. Then a year later we were talking to the president of the Ferrari club and asked him if that guy bought a Corvette and he said, "Yes he did and he told us he loves it and can't believe what a great car it is !" So will people that own "exotics" buy a Corvette? If it performs, some will and to them, it's just"chump change". :D

By the way, it's the best car show I've ever attended and if any of you guys are in SW Florida in the winter, take a day and attend it. Our Corvettes are usually sandwiched between the Ferrari Club and the Porsche Club. :flag:

JDSKY 09-14-2018 09:13 AM

The only way the new ME car would be "trouble" is if Italy has plans to increase production by a factor of 10. The new car will launch, it will sell and the Italian exotics will be just fine.....

Mr Triple Black 09-14-2018 09:29 AM

People never learn. No matter how good the car are people who are looking to buy a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or McLaren, are just never going to not do that in favor of a a Corvette.

I love my Vette and plan to have it alongside an exotic or two, but when looking at those exotics I don’t even think “what’s the comparable Corvettte”.

desmophile 09-14-2018 09:43 AM

A Ferrari is a Ferrari, mostly

[QUOTE=WhiteDiamond;1597980169]The simple fact is: A Ferrari is a Ferrari ..........

Except maybe for the Chevy shock technology they licensed from GM:D

RandomTask 09-14-2018 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z (Post 1597979884)

I'm on the fence. I absolutely LOVED my C7Z, sold it to get a C8. . but now want to wait just a little to see it play out. ..

Originally Posted by JDSKY (Post 1597981396)
The only way the new ME car would be "trouble" is if Italy has plans to increase production by a factor of 10. The new car will launch, it will sell and the Italian exotics will be just fine.....

Funny you should say this. Ferrari is having a little bit of a headwind on where they want to go.

Their investors want them to sell more cars.
Their MGMT wants to sell less for exclusivity.