CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Vert to coupe, any regrets? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4187972-vert-to-coupe-any-regrets.html)

brimee 09-13-2018 08:15 PM

Vert to coupe, any regrets?

I went and looked at a ‘13 GS coupe auto, I currently have a ‘12 manual base vert, just not sure if I will like the coupe. Both C6s that I have had have been verts, the C4s I had were coupes.

Thanks

BadAV 09-13-2018 08:30 PM

I went from vert to coupe and back to vert. I much prefer the vert, but everyone is different.

Jeff T. 09-13-2018 08:38 PM

Went from a coupe to a vert never looked back. As another vert owner told me, put the top down and you're on vacation!

Good Luck!

Rick369 09-13-2018 08:55 PM

I went from a 2007 Base A6 Vert to a 2010 GS A6 Coupe. Kept the 2010 for a year and sold it. Bought a 2013 Base A6 Vert. No more Coupes for me. The Vert looks better and in my opinion, quieter. Nothing better than putting the top down on a nice day and going for a long drive. My 2013 is Velocity Yellow. I get more compliments on this car than any car I ever owned. I very seldom received any compliments on the the 2010 Torch Red GS Coupe.

Gman in NC 09-13-2018 09:00 PM

If you've had both you should already know. Never had a vert but sure have liked my coupe, for 13 years now. I'm sure both have their own pros and cons. If it for touring, especially on longer trips, I'd say the coupe for security and luggage space. The coupe would be a great 'cruiser' though.

mkitt27 09-13-2018 09:22 PM

Depends on how much you like open top motoring. I had a S2000 convertible for 10 years and this year switched to a C6Z, so a fixed roof. Its my preference, I didn't drop the top very much. Don't miss it at all. I do miss the car, loved the s2000, let me be clear, just don't miss the convertible

Rick369 09-13-2018 09:47 PM

Everyone has there preference. That’s why GM makes a Convertible, Coupe and Fixed Roof Corvette. They are all great cars.

ByRiver 09-13-2018 09:51 PM

Why can't you buy a GS convertible? You don't have to buy the first car you come across.

brimee 09-13-2018 10:25 PM

Thanks all, I’m going to keep what I have and leave the very nice GS coupe out there for someone else.

Guyzer7 09-14-2018 03:36 AM

Does driving with the top down in a convertible or targa off in a coupe take a toll on you guys and gals? I have a coupe and If I take the targa off and spend more than half an hour driving, I get sun burn on my head and shoulders, the wind takes a toll on me on long distance and my eyes get dry, my hair gets blown to pieces, my face gets dirty; when parked, the seat gets hot and if I leave the car, I worry about vandalism. I have a coupe and I take of the targa top sparingly, but I do enjoy it on short drives to check out the sunset and beach scene or take a spin around the beautiful coastline of the Palos Verdes Peninsula. I also have a clear roof that I enjoy in the fall, winter and spring.

bonnell 09-14-2018 06:02 AM

I bought my first C6 as a new JSB coupe. I loved it but eventually bought a triple black ‘08 vert. I’m on my third vert and I can’t see going back to a coupe. To me, putting the top down is way better than taking a targa top off. :thumbs:

Ron Sjostrom 09-14-2018 07:12 AM

1st time Corvette owner. Last week we brought a 95 convertible. Being a longtime Harley Davidson rider it reminds me of everything I love. Open air aromas of cut grass, passing farms and I still get the wind, sun, and the feel of the road bed.
Harley to Vert has been a very easy transition.

brimee 09-14-2018 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Guyzer7 (Post 1597980702)
Does driving with the top down in a convertible or targa off in a coupe take a toll on you guys and gals? I have a coupe and If I take the targa off and spend more than half an hour driving, I get sun burn on my head and shoulders, the wind takes a toll on me on long distance and my eyes get dry, my hair gets blown to pieces, my face gets dirty; when parked, the seat gets hot and if I leave the car, I worry about vandalism. I have a coupe and I take of the targa top sparingly, but I do enjoy it on short drives to check out the sunset and beach scene or take a spin around the beautiful coastline of the Palos Verdes Peninsula. I also have a clear roof that I enjoy in the fall, winter and spring.

That was another thing I didn’t think about, when I stop it is very easy to put the top back up by yourself,even tho mine is manual. As far as the wind it isn’t bad at all in my vert, sun on head is nothing a hat doesn’t cure...

z06clif 09-14-2018 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by brimee (Post 1597979217)
I went and looked at a ‘13 GS coupe auto, I currently have a ‘12 manual base vert, just not sure if I will like the coupe. Both C6s that I have had have been verts, the C4s I had were coupes.

Thanks

the roof comes off so you can slowly adapt to a coupe.....lol

Clif

wayback 09-14-2018 09:04 AM

Your either a vert person living in a vert climate or not. I went from a 05 Coupe to a 06 Vert then back to a 07 Coupe. I did not use the Vert top down much as it was usually too hot or cold. Much prefer the Coupe with Targa top.

No one can answer your question for you. Do what you feel is best. :thumbs:

GS982 09-14-2018 10:00 AM

I've owned an '08 coupe, a '10 GS coupe and now a '13 427 vert. I would never go back to a coupe.....love the vert! I do not DD my car, and it is only driven with the top down. The only way I would go with a coupe is if I needed the extra practicality (if you can call it that) to be my DD.

jkirk1 09-14-2018 10:06 AM

Imagine everything you just outlined with the convenience of raising or lowering the top with the push of a button? I'm willing to bet you would find yourself driving with the top down more often and in a more enjoyable atmosphere knowing you can quickly shut everything back up without exiting your car.

Vert all the way for me!

GS982 09-14-2018 10:10 AM

There is much more wind turbulence in a targa in comparison to a vert. The wind doesn't really swirl around back into your face with a vert. I can carry in a conversation with top and windows down at 75-80 without having to yell. I won't drive more than a short stint on the Hwy in my C7Z coupe with the top off for all the reasons above. A hat and light colored tshirt helps with the sun for me! I lean my seats forward when parked in the sun. As far a vandals, that is what insurance is for, you can't not enjoy your car because of fear of what some jerk might do.

Jimmy W1 09-14-2018 10:10 AM

I never wanted a convertible. I never liked having a cloth top. In fact, I've never had the top off of my 05 coupe. And it's been a while since I've had the t- tops off of my 78.

ByRiver 09-14-2018 11:14 AM

I've always had convertibles. I love them so much I rarely put the top up. Well . . . until I moved to Phoenix. I drove with the top down in the winter, but one time I drove to LA, and about stroked out once I got to Yuma. I think that was the front gate to Hell. I still rode with the top down when living there, but not that often.

I test drove a GS convertible, but didn't really care for it. And it doesn't look all that great with the top down. My Infiniti-M30 convertible was a nice looking car. The coupe has a nice profile, and it is almost like having a convertible. I don't want a C7, but it does look pretty awesome with the top down.