CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Fuel system cleaner (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4188191-fuel-system-cleaner.html)

gaustins11 09-14-2018 01:02 PM

Fuel system cleaner

My '03 Vette runs well with 90,000 miles (I'm third owner). I only use high test gas. I see on the Forum that some people periodically add some Techron (or other brand) fuel system cleaner. Would this be a wise preventative maintenance measure or should I go with "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and leave it alone? Thank you.

'Shifter 09-14-2018 01:16 PM

It won't hurt anything that isn't already broken....do it!

Vetteman Jack 09-14-2018 03:22 PM

IMO, I would add the Techron at least twice a year to help clean the fuel system and reduce sulfur deposits on the fuel sending unit. Good preventative measure.

CQRT 09-14-2018 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1597983958)
IMO, I would add the Techron at least twice a year to help clean the fuel system and reduce sulfur deposits on the fuel sending unit. Good preventative measure.

I probably put less than 5000 miles a year on my anniversary, but I'd agree with Jack . . 2x/year with the Techron . . . and add it to my Lexis every 6 months as well.

grampi50 09-14-2018 04:51 PM

I use BG K44...seems to work well....don't know how it compares the Techron though...

leadfoot4 09-14-2018 05:51 PM

Over the years, I've used both Techron and Red Line fuel system treatments.....

4XLR8N 09-14-2018 06:47 PM

:iagree:

zachaeous 09-14-2018 06:50 PM

:iagree:

Clancy209 09-14-2018 07:32 PM

I use STP for fuel system and injectors to keep clean. Can’t hurt

1blkc4 09-15-2018 05:30 AM

Been using marvel mystery oil for years I add it every oil change and just before going to storage for 6 months .

gaustins11 09-15-2018 08:51 AM

Thank you, Vetteman Jack, Are there other similar "good preventative measures" you take that a Vette owner should consider? There are a million products/additives/etc. out there and I'm sure some could be very helpful.

lewislgZ06 09-15-2018 06:18 PM

Techron is BOGO at Advance Auto Parts right now. Not sure how much longer it will be. I ordered 6-20 oz. bottles this week. $45.92 with tax. Orders over $25 ship for free.
I use it in all of my vehicles and gas powered lawn equipment. That will last me a couple of years.
Advance & O'Reilly's have the BOGO sales at least twice a year.

Velocity_Vette 09-17-2018 12:24 PM

I didn't think of using Techron fuel additive on my C5 (with under 55,000 miles) until I was on a long road trip and received both a 'Low Fuel' DIC message and the fuel gauge going to 'L'. This is a relatively common issue with C5s. On my next fill up I picked up a bottle of Techron and filled the tank (I've never used anything but premium fuel). Haven't had any issues since.

I would say the Techron additive periodically would not be a wasted purchase and I plan to run it roughly twice a year per what Vetteman_Jack posted.

gaustins11 09-17-2018 12:30 PM

Sometimes I pick up knowledge on the Forum (nuts & bolts, specs, etc) and sometimes its wisdom gained by experience. It seems a wise thing for me would be to follow in the footsteps on you and Vetteman Jack, so starting my next fill up and twice a year thereafter and gonna Techron it. Thanks for your input. Gary

C5Dobie 09-18-2018 05:38 PM

try seafoam in gas tank + in PCV tube while car is running - THAT will clean it up...will make serious smoke so do it outside well ventilated not in close proximity to your house & def not inside a garage w/ doors open lol

Youtube it, will also see that a can of seafoam SHOULD put catch can companies outta business - at least for traditional FI cars

v8srfun 09-18-2018 07:13 PM

Black bottle Techron is the best product you can buy off the shelf as far as fuel treatments go. Like stated above it is the only documented cleaner to fix the fuel gauge issues these cars suffer from. My c5 just seems to run better with a bottle in the tank but I don’t spend the money to put it in all the time. With Techron you can not really over treat and or overuse it is not a abrasive or corrosive cleaner so it is always safe to use.

chasboy 09-18-2018 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by C5Dobie (Post 1598007594)
try seafoam in gas tank + in PCV tube while car is running - THAT will clean it up...will make serious smoke so do it outside well ventilated not in close proximity to your house & def not inside a garage w/ doors open lol
Youtube it, will also see that a can of seafoam SHOULD put catch can companies outta business - at least for traditional FI cars

DouG at ECS put some Seafoam thru my engine like described above. I don’t have the confidence to do it myself. It did make a difference immediately.
Techron: I don’t remember the source, but I had info that stated that the Techron available from Advance and other parts vendors, especially when on sale was ‘stronger’ or ‘higher quality’ than what you might pick up in Kmart or Costco. I don’t know how true this is, but I tend to buy it during a BOGO sale as described above.

DOUG @ ECS 09-19-2018 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by C5Dobie (Post 1598007594)

Sea Foam does work great, but it cleans the effects of carbon in the engine, a catch can prevents oil from going into the intake. Two completely different scenarios, a catch can is always a good preventative measure.

chasboy 09-19-2018 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS (Post 1598012652)
Sea Foam does work great, but it cleans the effects of carbon in the engine, a catch can prevents oil from going into the intake. Two completely different scenarios, a catch can is always a good preventative measure.

Doug, you’ve totally blown up my impression of the importance of a catch can. I’ve seen countless discussions here and other forums and most of the time I’ve decided that it was just a ‘fun enhancement’. Coming from you changes everything because none of the sources I saw in previous discussions had your level of expertise. I now have to rethink the whole thing. Do you have any you recommend?
Maybe I have to make a visit, also for a ‘check up’ on my current tune?
Charlie Gaffen

flyingmfrc 09-19-2018 07:58 PM

So.... Techron makes fuel system cleaner and injection cleaner. Is one preferable over the other, or are they both the same????