CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   65 396 big block (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4188457-65-396-big-block.html)

mauricejames 09-15-2018 09:16 AM

65 396 big block

milano maroon, two tops, non matching(stolen recovery) 45000 on rebuilt engine, total 109,467.
runs good, radio needs repair, new brakes calipers, manual windows, 4 hurst speed, no ac
looking for fair price,

Nowhere Man 09-15-2018 09:19 AM

does it have the original GM issued vin and trim tag? anywhere from 25-50K need pictures. what kind of engine is it?

mauricejames 09-15-2018 09:33 AM

65 big block

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1597987547)
does it have the original GM issued vin and trim tag? anywhere from 25-50K need pictures. what kind of engine is it?

ok, my husband just went out so im gonna do my best here. i think, since it was a stolen vehicle, numbers arent matching,.
engine 396 cu inch -theft recovery in 1971, we have 25 years, antique insurance, sunday driver, i'll get back with pics, as soon as he comes home and god only knows since neither of us tech savy but i can send to your private email if that works, and i can give you mine.
hope that helps,
betty

Mark Lovejoy 09-15-2018 10:05 AM

The VIN and trim tag are very important. If the VIN is before 11,000 it's not a real L78.

mauricejames 09-15-2018 11:24 AM

65 big block

Originally Posted by Mark Lovejoy (Post 1597987746)
The VIN and trim tag are very important. If the VIN is before 11,000 it's not a real L78.

im guessing i didnt make myself clear. when we bought the car, about 25 years ago, it had been stolen in 1971 and vin and any numbers were off, missing, not there. so, maybe i dont understand what you are saying. i know if it was "original" it's worth much much more. i already got an offer, from someone who wants to sell it immediately. another guy who has a dealership for old, new, exotic etc, is interested, for more than the first offer and is coming to see on monday. what i was trying to get, is a ball park figure for NON original 65 396 big block, rag top, with hard top too, new brakes, 4 speed, (hurst)no ac, manual brakes new, manual windows,no power steering, radio original not working now, needs emergency brake cable, runs awesome. im not a computer person but have pics of interior and outside as well, milano maroon, original color. 109,467 but about 45000on rebuuilt engine that we did as soon as we got it. so, if im missing your point, excuse me, that's the best i can do. too bad it was stolen but then again, we probably couldnt have afforded it at the time. we got about 25 great years out of it, and now....looking for something else.thanks for any of your expertise, in advance
betty (mauricejamess'wife and owner, actually)

ifitgoesfast 09-15-2018 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by mauricejames (Post 1597987533)
milano maroon, two tops, non matching(stolen recovery) 45000 on rebuilt engine, total 109,467.
runs good, radio needs repair, new brakes calipers, manual windows, 4 hurst speed, no ac
looking for fair price,

Clear title in hand, or rebuilt title?

Nowhere Man 09-15-2018 11:36 AM

What the car was is not important if the GM issued vin tag is missing. So what you have is a story with no way to prove anything Now you could try and find the vin on the frame and see if the car is late enough to be even a 396 car. But what you have now for value is the sum of the parts and the condition of the car it self. Most people will not even look at any car with a branded vin tag. And the people who consider one wants it at a discounted price.

mauricejames 09-15-2018 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1597988179)
What the car was is not important if the GM issued vin tag is missing. So what you have is a story with no way to prove anything Now you could try and find the vin on the frame and see if the car is late enough to be even a 396 car. But what you have now for value is the sum of the parts and the condition of the car it self. Most people will not even look at any car with a branded vin tag. And the people who consider one wants it at a discounted price.

it's a 396 engine in a 327 body. funny you think it's only value is parts since i already got an offer for 25 grand and someone else is topping it on monday. but thanks anyway for your expertise.

Nowhere Man 09-15-2018 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by mauricejames (Post 1597988215)
it's a 396 engine in a 327 body. funny you think it's only value is parts since i already got an offer for 25 grand and someone else is topping it on monday. but thanks anyway for your expertise.

I never said it was parts car. I just said it will never be worth as much as a car with a GM vin tag.

mauricejames 09-15-2018 11:52 AM

no title, for that year. registration. not sure but think titles were issued in early 70's but i can be wrong.
been insured with collectors insurance since we own it, about 25 years, insured for 35 grand. never not garaged since we have it. new tires. bolt on knock off wheels. professionally had seats redone .
meanwhile the guy who wants it for 25 and is reselling in a nano second is coming today,
other guy is a dealer,(new , old, exotic, etc) i sent a zillion pics inside and out ,is hot to trot, and coming mon.
so i guess i wont have to sell for parts. thank god hurricane sandy didnt touch it. i lost my volvo and audi in that one.
again, thanks

mauricejames 09-15-2018 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1597988252)
I never said it was parts car. I just said it will never be worth as much as a car with a GM vin tag.

well, that much i understand. and again, if it was original, we couldnt have afforded it, in that condition, and probably be worth 4x what i'll end up getting.
somehow, tho corvettes arent my specialty, and i am a woman, i sort of get it. and wont give the car away. im not that naiive. i know what i have and what i dont have. too bad a bath tub porshe fishtails or i'd have one of those.,

Nowhere Man 09-15-2018 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by mauricejames (Post 1597988267)
well, that much i understand. and again, if it was original, we couldnt have afforded it, in that condition, and probably be worth 4x what i'll end up getting.
somehow, tho corvettes arent my specialty, and i am a woman, i sort of get it. and wont give the car away. im not that naiive. i know what i have and what i dont have. too bad a bath tub porshe fishtails or i'd have one of those.,

and the next person who is looking at a car on a strict budget will be looking at cars like yours. they want a mid year but don't care about numbers. your car will run and drive just the same as one with GM tags and they look the same from the outside

mauricejames 09-15-2018 12:14 PM

65 big block

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1597988300)
and the next person who is looking at a car on a strict budget will be looking at cars like yours. they want a mid year but don't care about numbers. your car will run and drive just the same as one with GM tags and they look the same from the outside

thanks nowhere man -just as i thought. im certainly in no rush, not giving it away, and realize jay leno doesnt want it. or seinfeld. but someone apparently does, and he's planning on a quick turnover. the guy mon, has different deals so to speak, and i'll go with the highest bidder who isnt an ......you get it.
we love it, loved it, used it, and someone else will too.again, thanks

cv67 09-15-2018 12:34 PM

Christ, the guy has had a 396 4 spd ragtop forever....many of them got stolen. Its not worthless, he has history/story thats legit.
Coolest part is he got over 100k behind the wheel of a 4 spd BB vette not getting dusty sitting around.Cant say I dont wish I got that opp!
If i was in his shoes and someone started the whole "I want a discount" due to a stamp after they heard his story Id kick them to the curb.
The guys wanting (most anyways) the #s cars also want low mi perfect with all papers. Sounds like a fun driver you dont have to worry about too much.

OP ondition has more to do with things than the odometer...dont give it away for 25 or 30k!! What kind of offers are you getting? Be fair to yourself, too.

Welcome to the forum..

mauricejames 09-15-2018 01:55 PM

65 vette/no numbers

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette (Post 1597988455)
Christ, the guy has had a 396 4 spd ragtop forever....many of them got stolen. Its not worthless, he has history/story thats legit.
Coolest part is he got over 100k behind the wheel of a 4 spd BB vette not getting dusty sitting around.Cant say I dont wish I got that opp!
If i was in his shoes and someone started the whole "I want a discount" due to a stamp after they heard his story Id kick them to the curb.
The guys wanting (most anyways) the #s cars also want low mi perfect with all papers. Sounds like a fun driver you dont have to worry about too much.

OP ondition has more to do with things than the odometer...dont give it away for 25 or 30k!! What kind of offers are you getting? Be fair to yourself, too.

Welcome to the forum..

well, thanks for starters for "getting it". not to worry, im not giving the car away and my husband just dug up the papers from 1994 when we had the engine rebuilt. there were really no other major things-except of course re-doing the seats, and one guy is coming today, who knows the cars from seeing it at old car shows, knows the deal and is drooling as he must have someone who wants it and he figures he can make a quick buck. and mon i have the guy coming who has a showroom of a variety of cars-old .new, exotic and i sent him a billion pics of inside, outside, motor, wheels, etc and he thinks more than $25 grand, with him making his share as well. the car has been good to us and we love it but it's time for something else to play with. i appreciate that you really understand and not everyone driving an antique car has matching numbers-----as i said, if it did, we wouldnt have been able to afford it.
again thanks, and after it's sold, or during the process i will keep you guys informed.
betty (mauricejames)

Nowhere Man 09-15-2018 02:00 PM

25K is a steal if the paint is respectable and the car is clean overall.

mauricejames 09-15-2018 02:23 PM

yup, i just told my husband what you said, and told him to cool his jets. no rush, i dont want to cheat anyone nor get cheated, the car is a beauty and so far, im not "in need". again thanks.
betty

mauricejames 09-15-2018 02:26 PM

lol. he just got the original radio to work. hahahaha

mauricejames 09-16-2018 07:57 AM

so the two guys come, and i stay out of it, finally nick calls me out and the guy we dont know who apparently wants the car proceeds to tell me how because the numbers arent matching,,,,,blah blah blah.i hate to pull the "woman" card but...and the car is in my name. so, i let him go on and on, and nicely i remind him that if the car had matching numbers we wouldnt have it. then he tells me the window in the rag top needs replacing, yup, true, shows me where they might be a crack near the headlight, so i look and faintly see what he's talking about. then tells me "im ready, cash now, and i'll give you $27,5000 and i hear you want to sell the 2013 subaru forester (with 31,000) miles on it, and i have cash for both. c'mon let's make a deal now". so, i let him know that someone else, a dealer is coming monday and i havent finished doing my homework, and i didnt even do any homework on the subaru and then i ask him, "who is the subaru for?" because now im pretty sure he's buying and flipping. no, he has a friend who wants that subaru. why is beyond me, even tho it gets great ratings but it has zero pick up. i know, everyone loves them, we dont. so, now, that answer wasnt good enough and he's twisting and pulling and putting pressure on me, and keeps telling me what 's wrong with the corvette. so i nicely tell him, no deal today, im not done investigating and i have a feeling it's worth more than $27,500 and how come you came up so fast when i didnt say a word?" then he tells me he doesnt want to lose the car over $500 so i laugh and tell him . "not to worry, my shoes cost more "(true, i have a shoe thing, and since i broke my ankle and had 17screws and 2 plates, whatever is comfortable is mine. ) ok, more pressure,- i have the money for both cars-right now, let's make a deal.and keeps on going. wants to know who is coming mon so stupidly i mention the name of the guy's company but he didnt seem to know it and on and on. basically, after he kept telling me what is wrong with the corvette i told him "dont buy it". so that tickled him a bit more, and he told me please, call me mon as i dont want to lose the deal over $500 and i reiterate that $500 is not a deal breaker but.....if the car is going to be worth more, with the stupid plastic window that needs replacing,......i shook the other guys hand, who nick (mauricejames) knows, and the big guy (6'5) shook my hand as he turned his back on me. it was basically rude and i laughed out loud because honestly, if they thought that waving dollars and trying to push me into selling both cars in a nano second, nah, that's not how i operate. meanwhile, i had been sending a zillion pics -inside, out, wheels-apparently he has bolt on knock offs, side pipes, and other stuff this guy had asked about, and i texted him, to let him know i stupidly gave the name of his company, and blah blah blah. he laughed, sent me a picture of a big guy name louie(worng, the other guy was louie) and told me he sells old vettes. no cesar, wrong guy but see you mon at 11 and oh yeah, if i want to he can do the subaru too. normally my husband parks a car we want to sell (like a subaru) near the long island railroad, and it sells in a nano second because they usually are low mileage and .......
i need to sell the subaru after the new audi 5's come out, if you see where this is going. then, when my lease on the a4 6speed is up, i think i'll get the a4 convertible so nick can have fun. it's the motorcycle is doesnt have (nearly lost his leg many many years ago) and pray the soft top comes in a 6 speed because my audi dealer keeps telling me how impossible it is to get sticks. well, order one, they have them in germany,.
ok, be back after monday's meeting,

Nowhere Man 09-16-2018 08:09 AM

If I was you I would stay away from dealers and flippers that is if your in no hurry to sell