CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   I got lucky, car vandalism. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4189237-i-got-lucky-car-vandalism.html)

1999corvettels1 09-17-2018 02:09 PM

I got lucky, car vandalism.

So, my Corvette is tore down in my garage doing A/C compressor, etc, I had a brother and his new wife drop in unannounced almost a month ago, he needed a car, so I got my old beater Grand Am running to give to him.

It had some things needed already and also the fuel pump went out since it was parked, so the Corvette has been on hold, all this time.

Normally on the weekend I spend the night at GF's and park Corvette on street in front of her house, always slightly paranoid about it getting hit by cars, etc.

GF's new Kia Soul got vandalized over the weekend, Chandler police informed us 3 kids in a pickup got 30 plus cars throwing river rocks at cars, there are still more reports coming in as people discover the damage.

I know if my car was here they would have gotten it for sure, glad it's at my house in garage tore apart.

Won't be leaving it parked overnight at her house anymore.

What stinks is she has a 1000.00 deductible on her Allstate comprehensive insurance, I told her maybe get a 250.00 or zero deductible when getting insurance when she bought it new in March.

These kids parents are probably not going to pay for the damages the punks caused, not sure if they are over 18, but must be at least 16 if they drive.

1999corvettels1 09-17-2018 02:12 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3c7c9c0a62.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...8d645f05de.jpg

Route99 09-17-2018 02:57 PM

:sad: I will never understand why tearing up someone else's property is supposed to be fun?!
Hopefully everyone affected will push the DA to press charges and require restitution to those affected as a part of the punishment.
I hope the parents really step up to the plate, too, and hold their kids responsible and accountable.

tentuna 09-17-2018 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Route99 (Post 1597999654)
:sad: I will never understand why tearing up someone else's property is supposed to be fun?!
Hopefully everyone affected will push the DA to press charges and require restitution to those affected as a part of the punishment.
I hope the parents really step up to the plate, too, and hold their kids responsible and accountable.

I don't think it's a fun thing it's just malicious since they don't have any regard for anyone's property. Hopefully they make restitution, once the parents have to fork over the damages it will stop, otherwise the kids will never learn a hard lesson through the parents.

rrwirsi 09-17-2018 04:00 PM

I do not think many of us on this forum (including me) have not done malicious/stupid stunts growing up in our teenage years. I agree, if the kids parents have to pay then a lesson is learned but then ONLY if the parents make their kids apologize to the owners face to face, do voluntary charity work, and remove all forms of social media electronics from their use for a specific time (i.e. 6 months). The latter is probably the most 'painful' part of the punishments.

bc6152 09-17-2018 05:35 PM

Three kids under 18 cut the tires on 52 cars in an overnight rampage including mine. The idiots then went to school and bragged. All were arrested and made to pay restitution. Two tires,
$260.00 for me. I can't say that I ever did anything like this and certainly agree that I just don't understand what pleasure is derived from costing others misery and money...
Hope they get the little morons...

Vetteman Jack 09-17-2018 09:43 PM

I certainly did not do things like that growing up - would not have wanted to face my Dad had I done so. If the police have the morons in custody, I too hope those affected by the vandalism press for charges to be filed and the judge orders them to pay for the damage.

glbeauchamp 09-17-2018 11:57 PM

I had the drivers window shot out of my Jimmy several years ago. The culprits were apprehended. They were responsible for over 20 damaged vehicles. I received a letter from an 18 year old girl (the only "adult" in the group) saying she was sorry (sorry that she got caught was how I took it!) and a check for $22. It cost me $147 fora new window. How's that for restitution?

1999corvettels1 09-23-2018 12:33 PM

Some luck for my woman!

Not only was her car vandalized, not even a week later, I dropped her off at work, and a block away at a red light I get rear ended.

I said "what happened?!" to the guy, he said he wasn't paying attention.

Cop pulled up quick, just a coincidence, we all pulled over, the guy doesn't have insurance, got 2 tickets one for failure to stop, another for no insurance.

The officer let him drive away?

I would think you just crashed into someone and have no insurance, car is getting impounded.

I looked up the guy on court website for Arizona, last summer he got a ticket for failing to stop.

I know it's not C5 related.

Mike98SilVert 09-23-2018 02:23 PM

Hopefully these kids are held fully accountable for their actions and made to pay back every penny to each of the victims.
Only then will they learn a lesson.
Too bad that these kids damaged your GF's new Kia. That really sucks. Hope the repairs go well.
Mike

Mike98SilVert 09-23-2018 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by 1999corvettels1 (Post 1598035294)
Some luck for my woman!

Not only was her car vandalized, not even a week later, I dropped her off at work, and a block away at a red light I get rear ended.

Cop pulled up quick, just a coincidence, we all pulled over, the guy doesn't have insurance, got 2 tickets one for failure to stop, another for no insurance.

I would think you just crashed into someone and have no insurance, car is getting impounded.

I looked up the guy on court website for Arizona, last summer he got a ticket for failing to stop.

You have to find a better area to live. Which car was rear ended?

1999corvettels1 09-23-2018 02:28 PM

Her new Kia Soul, the same one that just got vandalized.

tiojames 09-23-2018 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1598002284)
I certainly did not do things like that growing up - would not have wanted to face my Dad had I done so. If the police have the morons in custody, I too hope those affected by the vandalism press for charges to be filed and the judge orders them to pay for the damage.

Small claims court can handle these things and if defendant loses and doesn't pay the court has the authority to take the settlement from any bank accounts they may have.

4XLR8N 09-23-2018 07:57 PM

Hate hearing stories like this :mad: :mad:

Glad your Vette was spared...

CalF 09-23-2018 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by tiojames (Post 1598036252)
Small claims court can handle these things and if defendant loses and doesn't pay the court has the authority to take the settlement from any bank accounts they may have.

In Pennsylvania you sue in civil court and if they refuse to pay then the state will suspend their drivers license.I took that route a few years ago when an uninsured driver hit the wife's car in a parking lot.

CorvetteBrent 09-24-2018 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by 1999corvettels1 (Post 1597999297)
So, my Corvette is tore down in my garage doing A/C compressor, etc, I had a brother and his new wife drop in unannounced almost a month ago, he needed a car, so I got my old beater Grand Am running to give to him.

It had some things needed already and also the fuel pump went out since it was parked, so the Corvette has been on hold, all this time.

Normally on the weekend I spend the night at GF's and park Corvette on street in front of her house, always slightly paranoid about it getting hit by cars, etc.

GF's new Kia Soul got vandalized over the weekend, Chandler police informed us 3 kids in a pickup got 30 plus cars throwing river rocks at cars, there are still more reports coming in as people discover the damage.

I know if my car was here they would have gotten it for sure, glad it's at my house in garage tore apart.

Won't be leaving it parked overnight at her house anymore.

What stinks is she has a 1000.00 deductible on her Allstate comprehensive insurance, I told her maybe get a 250.00 or zero deductible when getting insurance when she bought it new in March.

These kids parents are probably not going to pay for the damages the punks caused, not sure if they are over 18, but must be at least 16 if they drive.

Your girlfriend might consider suing the parents in small claims court to recover her deductible. Or. maybe the whole group pf victim could get together and determine whether one of them happens to be an attorney or have a close relative who is practices law. With that many victims, it's possible.

CorvetteBrent 09-24-2018 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by 1999corvettels1 (Post 1598035294)
Some luck for my woman!

Here in Florida, if there is no insurance, the police usually impound the car and the driver's license is suspended, though there may be a short grace period before suspension.