CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Harmonic Balance - Which One to Buy? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/4189321-harmonic-balance-which-one-to-buy.html)

sparcnz 09-17-2018 05:44 PM

Harmonic Balance - Which One to Buy?

Hi All,
I know there has been some discussion on HB's before, but I wish to ask "Which One" to buy?
I have a 02 in which the HB is squeaking and can be seen to wobble when the engine is turning.
In a previous thread I was advised to get a Powerbond HB, and the following
- DAYCO Harmonic Balancer Part number PB1117N premium
- ARP 2342503 Stud Kit (includes the ARP bolt lubricator)
- National 100470 Oil Seal (can't find this seal on Rockauto or Summit, so will see if it's available elsewhere or here in NZ)

However I saw some reports that the PB1117N is similar to the original, and won't last too much longer, as it's made generally of the same construction.
So went looking on Rockauto and Summit Racing, and see there are a number of different HB that one can buy. (Being in NZ, we don't have a great selection to buy from, so importing is the way to go)
They start from around the US$60 mark, the PB1117N right up to US$500+, which I don't think I need to go. But I am happy to pay a little extra, if I am going to get a better HB, don't want to be doing this too soon again.
And, note that a couple of HB's were listed as "underdrive", with different values, 25% for one. And of course "overdrive". Is there an advantage to going this way?

I need to buy the items now, as Summer is coming and I wish to get out on the road, driving her.

Thanks in advance for your views.
Regards Kevin.

leadfoot4 09-17-2018 05:56 PM

For what it's worth, I went with the ATI balancer, an ARP bolt, and since I had it that far apart, I also swapped in an LS2 timing chain. And since you have to remove the steering rack to get at everything, I also replaced the bushing on the rack.

Rexde1 09-17-2018 06:55 PM

I also went with the ATI just to be on the safe side.

Route99 09-17-2018 07:49 PM

Same here - ATI.
The ATI is more expensive, but seems to be the most durable and it can be rebuilt if ever necessary.
Regardless of which dampener (harmonic balancer) you go with, I would encourage using the ARP bolt for installation. I'm sure you are aware that you cannot reuse the original GM bolt since it is torque-to-yield.
And as leadfoot says, "while you are there"............tons of things you can do. Definitely makes sense to replace the timing chain (and I replaced the timing gears, too). After that, the sky is the limit. :D
Best wishes with your efforts. :thumbs:

zachaeous 09-18-2018 12:41 AM

I went with the Power Bond now Dayco. Had no problems after 3 years. Also used the ARP bolt.

aj98 09-18-2018 02:34 PM

I did the powerbond standard HB a couple years ago
no issues.

road dog 10-29-2018 08:54 PM

This is my favorite one of all

I installed a fluiddampner engine runs so much smoother it's self balancing it made a huge difference that my choice you can make your own look it up and read about it I did my homework

Joshboody 10-29-2018 10:25 PM

I did the low cost PB. Stock had 110k miles and 30+ track days before slipping. PB has been on for about 10 track days and looking good so far.

93Polo 11-01-2018 05:26 PM

I have an ATI but I also have heads, cam, and plan on tracking the car, many have had great luck with the Powerbond.

Be sure to get some front cover alignment tools such as the SAC City pieces and a good balancer installation tool, you don't want to do the job twice.

acuevo 11-01-2018 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by road dog (Post 1598244948)
I installed a fluiddampner engine runs so much smoother it's self balancing it made a huge difference that my choice you can make your own look it up and read about it I did my homework

Can these have the crank pin kits done on them?

dickgi 11-16-2018 07:56 PM

I have a 2003 Z06 that I am changing the cam/springs/rockers/pushrods/timing chain. I am wondering about the harmonic balancer. I hear that the ATI is good but don't understand why it is so expensive. Is there one ATI part number that I should be using?

STRMLNE 11-16-2018 11:04 PM

How were you able to tell that it was the hb that was squeaking as opposed to a different pulley or belt?

dickgi 11-17-2018 07:23 AM

After some more investigating, it looks like the ATI 917266 part is what I would need.

Originally Posted by dickgi (Post 1598348735)
I have a 2003 Z06 that I am changing the cam/springs/rockers/pushrods/timing chain. I am wondering about the harmonic balancer. I hear that the ATI is good but don't understand why it is so expensive. Is there one ATI part number that I should be using?