CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Sanden compressor (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4189338-sanden-compressor.html)

ratflinger 09-17-2018 06:40 PM

Sanden compressor

Switching from V-belts to serpentine. Can you swap just the pulley on the Sanden or do you have to get a new compressor? Sent an email to Sanden and they were a big help - oh we can't answer your question you need to ask Vintage Air. Replied that: 1. They don't know if the pulleys can be swapped on their own compressors?!?; and 2. It's not a Vintage Air system anyway. Awaiting their reply.

What does C3 Gen have to say?

derekderek 09-17-2018 07:48 PM

There is a bunch of YouTube videos see you can. 2 pullers.

'75 09-17-2018 08:52 PM

Yes it can be done, I did it to mine.

ratflinger 09-17-2018 11:49 PM

Yeah, the only ones I find are $100. Can get a new Sanden for $150. Might as well save the trouble & buy a new compressor.

Sanden got back to me again - absolutely no support from them, basically go talk to Vintage Air because we won't bother to help you, even with a PN.

'75 09-18-2018 05:07 PM

Here's one for $35, it's 8 groove, but that means you have flexibility for for belt alignment, don't have to fill all the grooves.

Sanden serpentine clutch

ratflinger 09-18-2018 07:00 PM

Thanks, do you know if the pulleys just swap and the clutch stays the same?

'75 09-18-2018 07:06 PM

It's been a few years since I changed mine, but I think it was a direct swap. Do you have the adapter brackets to mount the sanden in the R4 mount?

ratflinger 09-18-2018 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by '75 (Post 1598008137)
It's been a few years since I changed mine, but I think it was a direct swap. Do you have the adapter brackets to mount the sanden in the R4 mount?

Yeah, I've got a line on a set.

vintage air tech 09-19-2018 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ratflinger (Post 1598009721)
Yeah, I've got a line on a set.

On Sanden compressors, If you wanted to swap the v-groove for a serpentine setup you would need to remove the entire clutch assembly then break it down to the pulley/bearing assembly. Vintage air does not carry replacement clutches or sub assemblies as we have found it to be very problematic to recommend R&R of compressor clutches. It requires the correct pullers/installers and a very precise air gap in order to perform as intended. I will attach the Sanden manual that describes the steps involved (page 16-19)

ratflinger 09-19-2018 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by vintage air tech (Post 1598012603)
On Sanden compressors, If you wanted to swap the v-groove for a serpentine setup you would need to remove the entire clutch assembly then break it down to the pulley/bearing assembly. Vintage air does not carry replacement clutches or sub assemblies as we have found it to be very problematic to recommend R&R of compressor clutches. It requires the correct pullers/installers and a very precise air gap in order to perform as intended. I will attach the Sanden manual that describes the steps involved (page 16-19)

Thanks and I understand your position, and frankly you are probably correct. I'm just too cheap to scrap a brand new (6yo) unused compressor for just the pulley. I'm finally getting back to work on the car, I never intended for it to drag out this long, but ..... Anyway it has a complete & installed Hot Rod Air system and I'll just cross my fingers that it all works since support for that is gone. I appreciate the manual.

BTW - If I do decide to get a new compressor should I stick with the 5 piston or move to the 7?