CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Wiper Arm Washer Hose Size?? (and, removing original washer pump) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/4189441-wiper-arm-washer-hose-size-and-removing-original-washer-pump.html)

Lakeside49 09-18-2018 12:03 AM

Wiper Arm Washer Hose Size?? (and, removing original washer pump)

I realize that this question is probably a long-shot even for our fine forum member's expertise, but does anyone know with certainty what is the size of the windshield wiper washer hose integrated with our vehicle's wiper arms? I haven't found any prior forum posts, and none of our C3 parts supplier partners sell it but since my original (`82) wiper arms are still otherwise flawless, I just want to renew the 36 year old UV-stressed windshield washer hoses. Tommy at Willcox said that they could probably be "sourced locally", but am not sure what that means without the exact hose size. Bonus points if you can direct me where to buy the hose -- though, it seems most anything is available on eBay.
Thanks in advance -

Dave

p.s. if anyone has up close and personal experience with replacing their windshield washer pump, please let me know exactly how you remove the old pump. It seemed nearly impossible to see into the reservoir enough to figure it out. Tips would be appreciated.

Easy Mike 09-18-2018 06:37 AM

Have you measured your original hoses? Once you know the outside and inside diameters, you can start the hunt for the hose.

bmotojoe 09-18-2018 07:28 AM

Pull 1 arm match the hose size.
The filler neck and the reservoir are 2 pieces. There should be a screw securing the top of the filler neck to body, once removed the neck should just pull off. To remove pump you will need a long extension, wobble extension < (may or may not my 77 I had to), 1" deep socket, long set of needle nose pliers. I taped my socket to extensions so I knew I could retrieve them. To re-install pump, tape lightly securing filter nut to the socket, just so the nut stays with socket until filter nut is threaded to pump. Tape socket and extensions so if you have to pull hard to remove socket all tools pull out together. Catch pan under reservoir, you might capture 25%.

Lakeside49 09-18-2018 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Easy Mike (Post 1598003331)
Have you measured your original hoses? Once you know the outside and inside diameters, you can start the hunt for the hose.

Mike, I thought the C3 wiper arm hose was a universal size and was hoping someone might already know the correct size that you suggest I measure for. Ouch, you're calling me out man when I already admitted that it was a long shot. I doubt that I have anything to measure such a tiny hose diameter and its not mentioned in the shop manual or AAM. Seems slightly odd that not one of our C3 parts suppliers carry them and their accompanying heat shrink tube, which probably means there is insufficient demand/economics. I'm only doing it for 36 yr. precautionary, fail-safe reasons.

SwampeastMike 09-20-2018 04:19 PM

I just went to the local NAPA store and got new washer system hoses for my '79. Easy to find and perfect fit. I can't remember the size(s) but it was not difficult in the least. Just take samples along with you. The washer tank/pump motor was a true pain to remove from mine. Presuming you have cruise control the transducer is nearby and makes it more difficult and knuckle skinning.