CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   intake selection sucks. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/4189858-intake-selection-sucks.html)

Podium 09-19-2018 06:38 AM

intake selection sucks.

Ive decided to forged the ls6 and top it off with afrs or trickflows. Id like to replace the ls6 intake. I want to get the most out of my TI with a 347. All the sheet metal style intakes get their ass kicked by the ls6 until 6k but then its only 30 horse or so. Im looking at intakes where I dont have to cut the hood. Im fine with loosing a little low end, but most of these intakes are terrible under 5 and 6k that fit under our hoods. The BTR intake looks promising, but its delayed. Im pushing 13 psi now, Im going to pulley down to a 3.4 which will gain me 2 psi or but then some good heads will drop the boost too. Ill be max psi 16 so Im actually thinking I might go with the MSD intake and just shave it and fix its quirks.

Any other ideas? Seems the stock style intakes are the best unless you need the strength of metal with high boost or running 7.5k.

Maybe I should just do a solid roller and spin it to 8k lol

Rkreigh 09-19-2018 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Podium (Post 1598010206)
Ive decided to forged the ls6 and top it off with afrs or trickflows. Id like to replace the ls6 intake. I want to get the most out of my TI with a 347. All the sheet metal style intakes get their ass kicked by the ls6 until 6k but then its only 30 horse or so. Im looking at intakes where I dont have to cut the hood. Im fine with loosing a little low end, but most of these intakes are terrible under 5 and 6k that fit under our hoods. The BTR intake looks promising, but its delayed. Im pushing 13 psi now, Im going to pulley down to a 3.4 which will gain me 2 psi or but then some good heads will drop the boost too. Ill be max psi 16 so Im actually thinking I might go with the MSD intake and just shave it and fix its quirks.

Any other ideas? Seems the stock style intakes are the best unless you need the strength of metal with high boost or running 7.5k.

Maybe I should just do a solid roller and spin it to 8k lol

I'd like to see more testing with boosted engine. while the ls6 and stock intakes are really well engineered, around 6k they taper off fast

you are right that the "area under the torq curve" is more important than peak power but on the street giving up some low end torq is sometimes a good thing to hook better

I'm going to try a sniper style and see how it works out on a tt car. car will make plenty of power, and I'm going short stroke to rev it higher and keep it in the sweet spot of the turbo map longer

I would not go solid roller as even the nasty hydraulic cams can rev to the moon now and 8k is not unheard of

the new high tech lifters are quite a bit better and if you run ti valves out of a zo6, they can do pretty well.

ForceFedC5 09-19-2018 04:04 PM

I was looking into this as well. From what I hear it depends on how much boost you're going to run. I've heard of the sniper intakes flexing. Not sure if that was due to the first runs or not. I'm not interested in finding out...

Podium 09-19-2018 05:08 PM

No way I would run the sniper. Gives up to much and is crap.

ForceFedC5 09-19-2018 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Podium (Post 1598014015)
No way I would run the sniper. Gives up to much and is crap.

Yeah, I've heard mixed reviews on it. That's a shame though, it would be a great solution if it actually worked. I guess I'll keep using my LS3 intake until something better comes along that doesnt cost as much as the heads!

itsslow98 09-19-2018 08:09 PM

I left my Mamo ported Fast 102 on my car and am happy with the results. Dont have a comparison to the stock ls6 with the blower but can only imagine it picked up power throughout.

Podium 09-20-2018 06:32 AM

I had a FAST 102 but I sold it because it didnt fit my car, which was stupid because I modded the firewall anyway. The MSD beats the FAST and I wont be running more than 20 lbs of boost so Ill go that route I think if the BTR intake acts like the sniper in terms of powerband.

TurboLX 09-20-2018 10:22 AM

If you're currently running an LS6 intake (cathedral port), the only upgrade I would consider for a street car would be the LS2 which has a little more plenum volume and TB bore size. It's factory engineered, flows well, has proven durability even with boost, and the plastic will not heat soak like sheet metal intakes. It's simply not worth giving up 30+ ft-lb through the entire midrange for 10-20 more peak HP, especially if the new intake will get hot and hurt performance anyway.

itsslow98 09-20-2018 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Podium (Post 1598016571)
I had a FAST 102 but I sold it because it didnt fit my car, which was stupid because I modded the firewall anyway. The MSD beats the FAST and I wont be running more than 20 lbs of boost so Ill go that route I think if the BTR intake acts like the sniper in terms of powerband.

the MSD od definetly better in the upper rpm.range over the fast but dow. Low and mid range the fast sees better gains. All in what you want out of it.

stevieturbo 09-20-2018 05:44 PM

Surely if the stock LS6 fits...the FAST is an obvious choice, and does show gains pretty much everywhere ? Likewise MSD if it fits

Does it not fit in the same place ? LS2 intake would seem silly as it is considered one of the worst factory intakes.

TastyBacon 09-20-2018 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by TurboLX (Post 1598017585)
If you're currently running an LS6 intake (cathedral port), the only upgrade I would consider for a street car would be the LS2 which has a little more plenum volume and TB bore size. It's factory engineered, flows well, has proven durability even with boost, and the plastic will not heat soak like sheet metal intakes. It's simply not worth giving up 30+ ft-lb through the entire midrange for 10-20 more peak HP, especially if the new intake will get hot and hurt performance anyway.

Interesting that you mention the LS2 as a possible upgrade from the LS6. I was actually considering "upgrading" from my LS2 to an LS6 over the winter.

Do you have or know of any good dyno results for the LS2 vs. LS6 intake on turbo/supercharged cars? Anecdotal internet wisdom seems split between "the LS2 intake is a turd, it's the worst" and "a ported LS2 is better than an LS6" (some of the people saying that are selling ported LS2s). I've even read that boost "seals up internal leaks" in the friction-welded LS2 intake and magically fixes its performance problems, but this seems like pure conjecture.

I picked up an LS2 because I was able to get the intake and throttle body for the same price that bare LS6s are going for nowadays. It's been very lightly ported; just had the seams in the runners smoothed out. I like the 90mm throttle body and front-mounted MAP sensor on the LS2 intake, but I have seen plenty of guys make more power than me with the LS6 and a 78mm throttle body, so I'm wondering whether this was a dumb choice or if there's actually anything to this whole LS2 intake and boost thing.

Podium 09-20-2018 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by itsslow98 (Post 1598017862)
the MSD od definetly better in the upper rpm.range over the fast but dow. Low and mid range the fast sees better gains. All in what you want out of it.

Every test I have seen the MSD is better everywhere or they tie. MSD always pulls above 5k from what I have seen.

Podium 09-20-2018 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 1598020486)
Surely if the stock LS6 fits...the FAST is an obvious choice, and does show gains pretty much everywhere ? Likewise MSD if it fits

Does it not fit in the same place ? LS2 intake would seem silly as it is considered one of the worst factory intakes.

I didnt mod the car to fit the FAST, but now its modded so I wished I kept it lol. I wasnt going for a max build, I was going to be satisifed with just 700 but now that I made 800 ( and feels slow) I want more.

itsslow98 09-20-2018 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Podium (Post 1598021419)
Every test I have seen the MSD is better everywhere or they tie. MSD always pulls above 5k from what I have seen.

Mamo still suggests his ported fast 102 over the ported msd for those wanting low end and mid range power on the ls6 stuff. Said his MSD is a top end type of intake. Porting them makes a big difference.

Podium 09-20-2018 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by TurboLX (Post 1598017585)

Thats not an upgrade.

Your whole post is silly.

Podium 09-20-2018 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by itsslow98 (Post 1598021457)
Mamo still suggests his ported fast 102 over the ported msd for those wanting low end and mid range power on the ls6 stuff. Said his MSD is a top end type of intake. Porting them makes a big difference.

I give up (some) low end for more top end.

Hes the only one I would trust with porting.

TastyBacon 09-21-2018 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Podium (Post 1598021472)
Thats not an upgrade.

Your whole post is silly.

I'll admit I had kinda the same thought, but considering who's posting, I figured I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and ask for some data...

Rkreigh 09-21-2018 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by TastyBacon (Post 1598022845)
I'll admit I had kinda the same thought, but considering who's posting, I figured I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and ask for some data...

unfortunately unless you want to twist the motor up to 7 and beyond the factory ls6 is quite good and the average torq compares pretty well. I saw the testing on the ls2 intakes and they weren't exactly horrible, and again the bigger TB isn't really needed even though it seems like a restriction. Dyno testing shows minor gains and not worth the hassle. In fact the big 102 TB need a stronger stepper motor or going cable.
All the fancy new like bigger TB and sexy intakes seem to provide more eyecandy than performance. Again juice not worth the squeeze.

With boost I'm curious to see fuel distribution issues as perhaps the aftermaket sniper style stuff would fare better. Some of the newer "low tunnel ram" style intakes have generous plenum, but very short runners which doesn't do much for torq. I think alot of us like to upgrade to something that doesn't fall off at 6500 but with the turbos you aren't revving to the moon to make power so the broad torq of the ls6 again makes sense.

I too would like to see more data on them.

TurboLX 09-21-2018 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by TastyBacon (Post 1598020966)
Interesting that you mention the LS2 as a possible upgrade from the LS6. I was actually considering "upgrading" from my LS2 to an LS6 over the winter.

Do you have or know of any good dyno results for the LS2 vs. LS6 intake on turbo/supercharged cars?

Admittedly, my data is old, but we went from an LS6 to an LS2 intake back when we ran the original TTiX C5 kits back in the day. We did pick up power with the change. I have also tuned lots of boosted LS2 cars that ran the stock intake where the intake manifold was far from the limiting factor on power.

YMMV, but I don't think I'm being silly here for recommending an affordable, OEM proven option. Anyone is free to spend way more money to make minimal extra top end power (while losing midrange torque) if it makes you guys feel better.

stevieturbo 09-21-2018 01:26 PM

The LS6 is the OEM proven affordable option. Perhaps more so than any other.

Podium 09-22-2018 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by TurboLX (Post 1598023980)
Admittedly, my data is old, but we went from an LS6 to an LS2 intake back when we ran the original TTiX C5 kits back in the day. We did pick up power with the change. I have also tuned lots of boosted LS2 cars that ran the stock intake where the intake manifold was far from the limiting factor on power.

YMMV, but I don't think I'm being silly here for recommending an affordable, OEM proven option. Anyone is free to spend way more money to make minimal extra top end power (while losing midrange torque) if it makes you guys feel better.

I would just keep the ls6 in that case. Its interesting that you're the only Ive ever seen recommend a ls2 over an ls6.

TurboLX 09-24-2018 09:26 AM

To be fair, I probably wouldn't change it at all if were my car. Adding 1-2psi will probably make more power/torque than most intake changes anyway with less hassle.

road pilot 09-24-2018 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Podium (Post 1598021419)

I have been very pleased with my MSD. It is cheap hp.

itsslow98 09-24-2018 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by TurboLX (Post 1598039570)
To be fair, I probably wouldn't change it at all if were my car. Adding 1-2psi will probably make more power/torque than most intake changes anyway with less hassle.

True but its harsher on the engine. If I can make the same power on less boost and have a safer combo that is the smart choice.

silver408z 09-24-2018 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by itsslow98 (Post 1598043485)
True but its harsher on the engine. If I can make the same power on less boost and have a safer combo that is the smart choice.

Just because you put a new intake and your boost gauge shows less boost, does not mean it is not as harsh as on your engine. Boost is a measure of restriction not how harsh the power is on your engine.

junk c5 09-24-2018 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Podium (Post 1598021444)
I didnt mod the car to fit the FAST, but now its modded so I wished I kept it lol. I wasnt going for a max build, I was going to be satisifed with just 700 but now that I made 800 ( and feels slow) I want more.

I personally think you’d be better off managing the power you have. You make mid 9 second power ( conservatively ) yet you only managed an 11 sec pass. If you could stick that 800 RWHP to the earth, the car would be a beast . Just my .02....

Podium 09-25-2018 06:23 AM

That will be addressed as well.

ysb02 09-25-2018 10:20 AM

Just stick with the ls6 until you’re running so much psi it doesn’t hold together and you need a metal one.

Id also suggest holding off on heads and just using the money towards a bigger blower.

stevieturbo 09-25-2018 07:30 PM

Facebook Post

Podium 09-25-2018 07:34 PM

I saw that but haven't watched it yet. Cliff notes or what I already know?

The BTR intake is going to be out in november. Ill wait until at least then before I buy something. Have all winter to decide.

Turbo-Geist 09-27-2018 02:01 PM

Good responses so far. The lack of intakes has been and will always be a problem due to the low hood line of the corvette. The LS6 intake is a good compromise and GM's best effort at building a factory intake that has been considered a benchmark even today. A majority of C5 owners do not want to cut their cowl or hood or purchase a different hood. The car is older now and a different group is beginning to own them but the aftermarket has moved on.

The lack of available plenum volume seems to cause a limit for producing power in the upper rpm range. In order to capture power and wring out those last 300 to 500 rpm, it is imperative to have the perfect combo. Also making sure there are zero boost leaks is important. Based on some of the tests I have seen, you could bolt a truck intake on and gain some rpm up top. Once again there is the issue with the hood and cowl.

I agree the aftermarket fabricated and billet intakes are pricey. I only purchased one because I started noticing stress cracks in two different LS7 intakes in the 22 psi range. Also, others have blown apart LS2 intakes at around the 28 psi mark. I realize you could buy probably 10 stock intakes for the price of one billet intake. At the same time, it's not fun going to a track and breaking an intake and then wasting the time and money watching from the pits. Plus searching online for a used one and hoping it is in good shape when it shows up. Then you have the time involved doing the intake swap and making sure no errors are made.

For the power you are making and wanting to make, the LS6 intake should still work well. You mentioned making 800rw on the TI blower. I'm not a blower expert, but isn't that getting towards the end of the range for this head unit? The lack of power in the upper rpm range could be attributed to not enough airflow being produced by the chosen power adder.

algZO6 09-27-2018 04:31 PM

try stopping on the big end with a big ass hole in your intake. lol

Turbo-Geist 09-27-2018 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by algZO6 (Post 1598062509)
try stopping on the big end with a big ass hole in your intake. lol

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/799153.jpg

ForceFedC5 09-27-2018 07:41 PM

Ugh.. so what is the best bang for the buck now in aftermarket intakes that will handle major boost? AND fit under a stock hood?

stevieturbo 09-27-2018 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Under-Pressure (Post 1598063605)
Ugh.. so what is the best bang for the buck now in aftermarket intakes that will handle major boost? AND fit under a stock hood?

What would you define as major boost ? And bang for buck ?

If your insisting on metal because you believe plastic cannot tolerate whatever boost level you refer to, then the BBK or Weiand would have to be cheap options. With the addition/replacement of a stronger base plate under the manifold.

You could do a cheap carb intake/low elbow...but not sure that's really any upgrade of any kind other than it shouldnt blow apart.

Would the LOD Speedworks fit under your hood ? Although they only do LS3 ports...and I wouldnt say it's cheap by any means

There are the G1Pro stuff...again, mid-high price range.

Low profile Holley race intake ? Still Chinese crap, but due to its construction should be a lot stronger in most areas vs the regular Sniper intake they offer.

Or a Richard alludes to in his video, the likes of FAST and MSD do hold together better under boost than most give them credit for. Although if "major boost" is 30, 40, 50psi, then undoubtedly metal of some sort will be more sensible.

ForceFedC5 09-27-2018 09:32 PM

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/icb-551116/overview/ ?

Podium 09-28-2018 06:40 AM

[QUOTE=stevieturbo;1598063647

Or a Richard alludes to in his video, the likes of FAST and MSD do hold together better under boost than most give them credit for. Although if "major boost" is 30, 40, 50psi, then undoubtedly metal of some sort will be more sensible.[/QUOTE]

Ill go this route if the BTR intake doesnt shine and has the same power band as the sniper.

Most of the low rise intake SLP, SNiper ebay all loose power under 6k to a ls6 but gain 10 to 20 6k up. Thats not helping anyone unless youre a big cubed drag motor reving to 7.5k

stevieturbo 09-28-2018 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Under-Pressure (Post 1598064278)

Same Chinese intake everyone is selling, Holley included.

They claim 1/8" thick....I'd dispute that having cut and re-welded my own to make it fit my own car.

Quality is poor, and the bloody horrible sound that resonates due to the thin metal is another aspect. Some people have burst them too. But I'm prepared to tolerate it for a while, as it does look good and it was cheap.

Whether it does or doesnt improve low/top...TBH I havent really noticed any difference from the previous BBK I had. Certainly nothing negative to report in terms of performance.

algZO6 09-28-2018 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Under-Pressure (Post 1598063605)

ill sell you my g1 pro, powder coated black with rails ready to go.

ForceFedC5 09-28-2018 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by algZO6 (Post 1598066132)
ill sell you my g1 pro, powder coated black with rails ready to go.

I'm interested, please PM me details, pricing, etc.. Just curious why you're getting rid of it?

ForceFedC5 09-28-2018 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 1598065794)
Same Chinese intake everyone is selling, Holley included.

They claim 1/8" thick....I'd dispute that having cut and re-welded my own to make it fit my own car.

Quality is poor, and the bloody horrible sound that resonates due to the thin metal is another aspect. Some people have burst them too. But I'm prepared to tolerate it for a while, as it does look good and it was cheap.

Whether it does or doesnt improve low/top...TBH I havent really noticed any difference from the previous BBK I had. Certainly nothing negative to report in terms of performance.

So do you think this video is BS?

Turpid porpoise 09-28-2018 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Under-Pressure (Post 1598066308)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It4729Ciud4

No, but how does it perform? It's nice to know that it can withstand boost but can it generate any more power or will it lose power? Does it fit under a C5 cowl?

mykream 09-28-2018 12:26 PM

Don't know if it's been said yet, but the BTR manifold doesn't fit on the c5. Brian told me he fit it on his c5 and it needs trimming to fit.

stevieturbo 09-28-2018 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Under-Pressure (Post 1598066308)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It4729Ciud4

Strange they do not show the intake whilst filling or fully releasing pressure...and a static camera would fair better than a handheld.

They also released the pressure very slowly....and for this application that does not happen. Pressure will rise/fall thru vacuum very fast with throttle movements etc and one cycle does not cover the fatigue aspect.
Now perhaps the ICT is not the same Chinese intake everyone else sells...although it does look like it. Others have burst similar intakes. I had to cut the front off mine to lower the angle of the TB flange for it to fit my application, and the metal is not 1/8" as claimed. I didnt measure, but I do know that 1/8th sheet is pretty thick in your hand. At a guess I'd say closer to 2.5mm or so vs 3.125mm.

And then there is this....and I only came across it after I already had my Holley intake. Mine makes a similar irritating noise !! Cheap thin metal. Inside the car it's not so much of an issue, but when I'm outside or the hood is open and engine running it is bloody annoying.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...noise-wtf.html

And then there were the fuel rails....where the one end of each was not machined correctly for the o-ring fittings that were supplied....and the o-ring would get destroyed on tightening. Using a 1.5mm cross section o-ring instead of the "correct" 2.0mm CS did resolve that though.....

Port alignment with my 225TFS cathedrals was bloody terrible too.

I do have a lot of bad to say about my Holley intake, largely quality related. But I do still have it on my car after remedying things as best I could. It looks like a much more expensive intake and looks good on the motor. It would also be nice to see these intakes run the correctly angled injector bosses too though instead of the straight down they do. Straight down is not correctly angled towards the valve. A minor point perhaps.

But again....it was cheap. I liked that bit lol.

TBH I wish I'd bought a ProFlo although I'm damn sure it wouldnt have fitted height wise, another reason to try the Holley first to get an accurate picture of what room I had.

stevieturbo 09-28-2018 04:58 PM

And it still goes to show...if you mostly operate below 6k....factory style intakes always win ! Still some decent gains above 6k though

Facebook Post

TastyBacon 09-28-2018 05:03 PM

So, below 5k RPM it's down almost 100HP to the LS6? Yikes.

Interesting that the BTR with just a smaller throttle body made more HP below 5800 or so than it did with a 102. What's up with that?

stevieturbo 09-28-2018 05:25 PM

Only idiots oversize their TB....

Really, a better test would be with the typical 92mm as per most DBW vehicles. But larger blades can affect airflow, slow down airflow etc etc which will have a negative effect.

But it still goes to show how bloody good the factory style intakes are. LS engines clearly love those long runners in the operating range most people do use them at. Really, any "new" intake would need a compromise of those long runners and with a large plenum. I'd say around 8-9" long runners would be nice to see on a test...AND with a good angle where the pair with the head.

That's another very bad aspect about the likes of the Holley sheet metal, and I'd have to assume ProFlo and HiRam too. Given the shape of the ports on an LS and the angle of entry to them, a runner with a similarly shallow entry would make far more sense than the downwards runs of the aftermarket intakes

stevieturbo 09-28-2018 05:29 PM

Of all the intakes around so far...I liked the idea of this one James/G1Pro drew up. Plus he was suggesting he could offer various bolt on runner lengths. Not sure overall what sort of height it could be though.

Originally Posted by G1Pro (Post 1596866446)
Haven't posted in a moment, I'm horrible at keeping up with forums when all I'm doing is designing and burning welds out all day hahah.

Got some ultimate new things coming out.

"mod ram" manifold

uses a shorty style sheet metal modular design "holley hi ram plenum flanged" plenum bottom. The ports inside or drilled and tapped to accept interchangable runners to tune your setup 100% perfect. You can pull your plenum top, change runner lengths all on the dyno.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...266bb8f790.png

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9c9eeb1227.png

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...2d69a0182c.png

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fac0c87691.png

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...34539bc9fb.png

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ea4805169d.png

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...8ec0c325fa.png

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1019605205.png

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c25ab70734.png

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...00263285bf.png

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...52859a407c.png

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...71ed012834.png

this means you can use a holley top, or buy one of mine. This also means if you happen to already have a air water core from someone else you can drop the overall height of your build and have a tunable runner. virtually unlimited options here.

coming to cath, ls3, ls7 standard and tall deck. LTx as well.

ForceFedC5 09-28-2018 05:29 PM

I'm about as far from an engineer as it gets, but why doesn't someone just copy the factory ls manifold design and make it out of cast aluminum?

TastyBacon 09-28-2018 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 1598069074)
...LS engines clearly love those long runners in the operating range most people do use them at. Really, any "new" intake would need a compromise of those long runners and with a large plenum. I'd say around 8-9" long runners would be nice to see on a test...AND with a good angle where the pair with the head...Given the shape of the ports on an LS and the angle of entry to them, a runner with a similarly shallow entry would make far more sense than the downwards runs of the aftermarket intakes

Sounds like you're describing something like the Edelbrock cross-ram.

stevieturbo 09-28-2018 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Under-Pressure (Post 1598069106)
I'm about as far from an engineer as it gets, but why doesn't someone just copy the factory ls manifold design and make it out of cast aluminum?

Like the already mentioned BBK and Weiand did ?

Plastic forming etc will give more freedom in terms of shape and manufacture vs cast alloy.

stevieturbo 09-28-2018 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by TastyBacon (Post 1598069136)
Sounds like you're describing something like the Edelbrock cross-ram.

Nothing of the sort. It has something like 13" runners and the dual plenum. Visually it is impressive...but as with all of these, it seemed to fail miserably in testing, probably why it has never really seen the light of day for sales.

Keep it simple....8-9" runners, and a large single plenum.

stevieturbo 09-28-2018 05:44 PM

BBK intake....very similar to the LS6 inside, and the runners hit the head at a nice straight angle too...again as per OEM.

https://i.postimg.cc/MGWJn5fp/IMAG0853_Large.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ZY9nYYhD/IMAG0856_Large.jpg

stevieturbo 09-28-2018 05:45 PM

Although there'd be room for some porting and smoothing with the BBK, as supplied it is fairly rough. Still a decent sized plenum underneath the runners though.

But the runner openings are fairly shrouded. LS6 factory might be better in that respect

ForceFedC5 09-28-2018 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 1598069141)
Like the already mentioned BBK and Weiand did ?

Plastic forming etc will give more freedom in terms of shape and manufacture vs cast alloy.

Correct. Except I have square port heads and they dont make them for it, at least yet

stevieturbo 09-28-2018 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Under-Pressure (Post 1598069222)
Correct. Except I have square port heads and they dont make them for it, at least yet

Probably never will if not done by now.

LS3 intake has proven itself so well already, it'd be doubtful a similar cast alloy version could improve on it, simply from manufacturing limitations.

stevieturbo 09-28-2018 05:52 PM

https://www.lsxmag.com/tech-stories/...ake-manifolds/

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/gian...dyno-shootout/

ForceFedC5 09-28-2018 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 1598069246)
Probably never will if not done by now.

LS3 intake has proven itself so well already, it'd be doubtful a similar cast alloy version could improve on it, simply from manufacturing limitations.

I don't need it to be improved, the same but bulletproof PSI wise would be great (i.e. cast aluminum copy).. doesnt look like that will happen anytime soon however.

Podium 09-29-2018 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by stevieturbo (Post 1598068910)
And it still goes to show...if you mostly operate below 6k....factory style intakes always win ! Still some decent gains above 6k though

https://www.facebook.com/BrianTooley...type=3&theater

This intake is garbage. All that hype for nothing. All the BTR fan boys will buy it and go slower. It just gets its ass kicked under 6k. If your drag racing to 8k its a good intake.

stevieturbo 09-29-2018 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Podium (Post 1598074198)
This intake is garbage. All that hype for nothing. All the BTR fan boys will buy it and go slower. It just gets its ass kicked under 6k. If your drag racing to 8k its a good intake.

It is only one test they've released, and yes it is certainly disappointing. Time will tell if they can produce a better combo.

Although even shifting at 7500rpm, should see you above 6k most of the time so still somewhere with gains..and boost proof you're after. A Nice billet CNC'd lid without the logo would look a bit better too, although visually it is quiet nice as it is.

Again...the bottom line is it needs longer runners. Or perhaps smaller port runners at current length to increase airspeed in the ports.

Podium 09-29-2018 06:07 PM

They hyped it up like it was going to be amazing. Not so much. Id cut my hood for a hi ram before I ran that. If it Took off from 5k up I would have bought it. Even the gain from 6 to 6.5k isnt that impressive. Basically the standard for these style intakes.

Podium 09-29-2018 06:08 PM

The marketing will sell the intake. The "it made 50 plus horse more than the ls6" line will sell it. My first thought was but from where?

ForceFedC5 10-16-2018 03:22 PM

Possibly something soon!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-fitment.html

ForceFedC5 01-04-2019 04:01 PM

Happy New Year!

Anyone have any updates? New products? I'm still not interested in spending $3500 for a billet low profile intake..

bluedevil03ecs 01-10-2019 09:25 PM

unless you've maxed everything out and this is the last bit of hp you can get an intake is only going to give you like 15hp. Just up the boost!!

ysb02 01-11-2019 02:21 PM

There's a point where the boost pressure is causing leaks on these plastic intakes after awhile. I've looked around and anything that fits under our stock hoods will suck <6k rpm compared to a stock ls6 intake. Even the holley hi ram only makes more power >5500 rpm. I'm hoping mine holds.

ForceFedC5 01-11-2019 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ysb02 (Post 1598665767)
There's a point where the boost pressure is causing leaks on these plastic intakes after awhile. I've looked around and anything that fits under our stock hoods will suck <6k rpm compared to a stock ls6 intake. Even the holley hi ram only makes more power >5500 rpm. I'm hoping mine holds.

At what boost level do they tend to start leaking after a while?

ysb02 01-11-2019 02:34 PM

They seem to leak from the big blower guys (ysi, f1, etc) running 20+ psi. I'm sure the more WOT romps you do the worse the situation gets. The short runners on the metal intakes seem lag quite a bit on <6k rpm flow. When you're talking about 1100-1200 rwhp what's losing 50-75 I guess in the mid range though.

HardcoreABN 01-19-2019 07:08 PM

If you want an intake designed to turn to 7500 AND fit under the cowl, your only option is a mid runner FAST

Podium 01-19-2019 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by HardcoreABN (Post 1598719910)
If you want an intake designed to turn to 7500 AND fit under the cowl, your only option is a mid runner FAST

Im going to buy a BTR intake and test it against a ls3 when I go stroker.

ForceFedC5 01-19-2019 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by HardcoreABN (Post 1598719910)

Does anyone know how much boost it can handle?

HardcoreABN 01-20-2019 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Under-Pressure (Post 1598720407)
Does anyone know how much boost it can handle?

Steve Morris says you won't blow it.

ForceFedC5 02-16-2019 08:22 AM

Apparently own ls7 intakes are not that strong.

http://www.motor1.com/news/305603/co...-flamethrower/

Anything new worthwhile for ls3 heads that fits under a stock hood, costs less than 2k, handles more boost?

Pekka_Perkeles 02-16-2019 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Under-Pressure (Post 1598888419)
Apparently own ls7 intakes are not that strong.

http://www.motor1.com/news/305603/co...-flamethrower/

Maybe they didn't know what BOV is and why it must be there... :)

Ok, just kidding. Pretty clear why it did blow an intake when throttle was closed.