CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   intake selection sucks. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/4189858-intake-selection-sucks.html)

Podium 09-22-2018 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by TurboLX (Post 1598023980)
Admittedly, my data is old, but we went from an LS6 to an LS2 intake back when we ran the original TTiX C5 kits back in the day. We did pick up power with the change. I have also tuned lots of boosted LS2 cars that ran the stock intake where the intake manifold was far from the limiting factor on power.

YMMV, but I don't think I'm being silly here for recommending an affordable, OEM proven option. Anyone is free to spend way more money to make minimal extra top end power (while losing midrange torque) if it makes you guys feel better.

I would just keep the ls6 in that case. Its interesting that you're the only Ive ever seen recommend a ls2 over an ls6.

TurboLX 09-24-2018 09:26 AM

To be fair, I probably wouldn't change it at all if were my car. Adding 1-2psi will probably make more power/torque than most intake changes anyway with less hassle.

road pilot 09-24-2018 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Podium (Post 1598021419)
Every test I have seen the MSD is better everywhere or they tie. MSD always pulls above 5k from what I have seen.

I have been very pleased with my MSD. It is cheap hp.

itsslow98 09-24-2018 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by TurboLX (Post 1598039570)
To be fair, I probably wouldn't change it at all if were my car. Adding 1-2psi will probably make more power/torque than most intake changes anyway with less hassle.

True but its harsher on the engine. If I can make the same power on less boost and have a safer combo that is the smart choice.

silver408z 09-24-2018 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by itsslow98 (Post 1598043485)
True but its harsher on the engine. If I can make the same power on less boost and have a safer combo that is the smart choice.

Just because you put a new intake and your boost gauge shows less boost, does not mean it is not as harsh as on your engine. Boost is a measure of restriction not how harsh the power is on your engine.

junk c5 09-24-2018 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Podium (Post 1598021444)
I didnt mod the car to fit the FAST, but now its modded so I wished I kept it lol. I wasnt going for a max build, I was going to be satisifed with just 700 but now that I made 800 ( and feels slow) I want more.

I personally think you’d be better off managing the power you have. You make mid 9 second power ( conservatively ) yet you only managed an 11 sec pass. If you could stick that 800 RWHP to the earth, the car would be a beast . Just my .02....

Podium 09-25-2018 06:23 AM

That will be addressed as well.

ysb02 09-25-2018 10:20 AM

Just stick with the ls6 until you’re running so much psi it doesn’t hold together and you need a metal one.

Id also suggest holding off on heads and just using the money towards a bigger blower.

stevieturbo 09-25-2018 07:30 PM

Facebook Post

Podium 09-25-2018 07:34 PM

I saw that but haven't watched it yet. Cliff notes or what I already know?

The BTR intake is going to be out in november. Ill wait until at least then before I buy something. Have all winter to decide.

Turbo-Geist 09-27-2018 02:01 PM

Good responses so far. The lack of intakes has been and will always be a problem due to the low hood line of the corvette. The LS6 intake is a good compromise and GM's best effort at building a factory intake that has been considered a benchmark even today. A majority of C5 owners do not want to cut their cowl or hood or purchase a different hood. The car is older now and a different group is beginning to own them but the aftermarket has moved on.

The lack of available plenum volume seems to cause a limit for producing power in the upper rpm range. In order to capture power and wring out those last 300 to 500 rpm, it is imperative to have the perfect combo. Also making sure there are zero boost leaks is important. Based on some of the tests I have seen, you could bolt a truck intake on and gain some rpm up top. Once again there is the issue with the hood and cowl.

I agree the aftermarket fabricated and billet intakes are pricey. I only purchased one because I started noticing stress cracks in two different LS7 intakes in the 22 psi range. Also, others have blown apart LS2 intakes at around the 28 psi mark. I realize you could buy probably 10 stock intakes for the price of one billet intake. At the same time, it's not fun going to a track and breaking an intake and then wasting the time and money watching from the pits. Plus searching online for a used one and hoping it is in good shape when it shows up. Then you have the time involved doing the intake swap and making sure no errors are made.

For the power you are making and wanting to make, the LS6 intake should still work well. You mentioned making 800rw on the TI blower. I'm not a blower expert, but isn't that getting towards the end of the range for this head unit? The lack of power in the upper rpm range could be attributed to not enough airflow being produced by the chosen power adder.

algZO6 09-27-2018 04:31 PM

try stopping on the big end with a big ass hole in your intake. lol

Turbo-Geist 09-27-2018 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by algZO6 (Post 1598062509)
try stopping on the big end with a big ass hole in your intake. lol

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/799153.jpg

ForceFedC5 09-27-2018 07:41 PM

Ugh.. so what is the best bang for the buck now in aftermarket intakes that will handle major boost? AND fit under a stock hood?

stevieturbo 09-27-2018 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Under-Pressure (Post 1598063605)
Ugh.. so what is the best bang for the buck now in aftermarket intakes that will handle major boost? AND fit under a stock hood?

What would you define as major boost ? And bang for buck ?

If your insisting on metal because you believe plastic cannot tolerate whatever boost level you refer to, then the BBK or Weiand would have to be cheap options. With the addition/replacement of a stronger base plate under the manifold.

You could do a cheap carb intake/low elbow...but not sure that's really any upgrade of any kind other than it shouldnt blow apart.

Would the LOD Speedworks fit under your hood ? Although they only do LS3 ports...and I wouldnt say it's cheap by any means

There are the G1Pro stuff...again, mid-high price range.

Low profile Holley race intake ? Still Chinese crap, but due to its construction should be a lot stronger in most areas vs the regular Sniper intake they offer.

Or a Richard alludes to in his video, the likes of FAST and MSD do hold together better under boost than most give them credit for. Although if "major boost" is 30, 40, 50psi, then undoubtedly metal of some sort will be more sensible.

ForceFedC5 09-27-2018 09:32 PM

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/icb-551116/overview/ ?

Podium 09-28-2018 06:40 AM

[QUOTE=stevieturbo;1598063647

Or a Richard alludes to in his video, the likes of FAST and MSD do hold together better under boost than most give them credit for. Although if "major boost" is 30, 40, 50psi, then undoubtedly metal of some sort will be more sensible.[/QUOTE]

Ill go this route if the BTR intake doesnt shine and has the same power band as the sniper.

Most of the low rise intake SLP, SNiper ebay all loose power under 6k to a ls6 but gain 10 to 20 6k up. Thats not helping anyone unless youre a big cubed drag motor reving to 7.5k

stevieturbo 09-28-2018 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Under-Pressure (Post 1598064278)

Same Chinese intake everyone is selling, Holley included.

They claim 1/8" thick....I'd dispute that having cut and re-welded my own to make it fit my own car.

Quality is poor, and the bloody horrible sound that resonates due to the thin metal is another aspect. Some people have burst them too. But I'm prepared to tolerate it for a while, as it does look good and it was cheap.

Whether it does or doesnt improve low/top...TBH I havent really noticed any difference from the previous BBK I had. Certainly nothing negative to report in terms of performance.

algZO6 09-28-2018 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Under-Pressure (Post 1598063605)

ill sell you my g1 pro, powder coated black with rails ready to go.

ForceFedC5 09-28-2018 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by algZO6 (Post 1598066132)
ill sell you my g1 pro, powder coated black with rails ready to go.

I'm interested, please PM me details, pricing, etc.. Just curious why you're getting rid of it?