CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Winter Storage (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4190332-winter-storage.html)

Time for a C-5 09-23-2018 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by BuzC5 (Post 1598034772)
I'm not making fun of anyone but man does that suck having to put your car away for months and months at a time..

it's no fun. I also spend more time on the forum picking expensive spring project ideas.

mcmjc 09-24-2018 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by jamesbii (Post 1598018403)
For those of you who store your C5 during the winter, what do you do? I'm in Minnesota so I will be storing my car. From reading other articles, I've gathered the following:
  • Battery tender hooked up all winter
  • Dryer sheets inside to reduce the chance of critters
Anything else? I plan on washing and waxing her before putting a cover on.

Something no one has mentioned is insurance. Since I live in Iowa, I don't drive mine in the winter at all. I drop the liability part of my insurance (State Farm) and save lots of $. In the spring, I just call my agent and ask them to reinstate the full coverage.

JR-01 09-25-2018 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by mcmjc (Post 1598042084)
Something no one has mentioned is insurance. Since I live in Iowa, I don't drive mine in the winter at all. I drop the liability part of my insurance (State Farm) and save lots of $. In the spring, I just call my agent and ask them to reinstate the full coverage.

Me too.

grantv 09-25-2018 09:51 PM

Same on the insurance. Works different here though. I cancel the policy and get storage insurance (even though it is stored in my garage, insure it just in case).

jamesbii 09-27-2018 08:40 AM

I want to thank everyone for there response in this thread. For those of us that do store our car, I've compiled a list of responses as a quick reference/cheat sheet.
  • Oil Change
  • Wash & Wax
  • Clean Interior
  • On a near empty tank, add Chevron Techron & Stabil - fill up w/ highest octane (No Ethanol/non-oxy) gas
  • Park in garage
    • Carpet squares/memory foam under each tire
    • Chock tires
    • Leave car out of gear
    • Emergency break off
  • Over inflate tires 3-5 lbs
  • Steel Wool/Stainless Steel pot scrubbers in tail pipes, cover with plastic bags
  • Put battery tender on (some take battery out of car and store inside on battery tender)
  • Mothballs under hood
  • Mothballs by each tire
  • Little blocks of wood to slightly lift the wipers off the windshield
  • Dryer sheets in truck & interior
  • Call Insurance to get discount (drop liability/get storage insurance)
  • Leave a list in the car of what to do in the spring to de-winterize the car (or see how far you can shoot the steel wool out of your exhaust in the spring)
  • Cover car

jasper1978 09-27-2018 09:42 AM

Does anyone start the car, lets say once a month and let it idle for a couple of minutes, or should i do not start it? I keep it in storage for about 6 months...

grantv 09-27-2018 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by jasper1978 (Post 1598059581)
Does anyone start the car, lets say once a month and let it idle for a couple of minutes, or should i do not start it? I keep it in storage for about 6 months...

Hardest time on a motor is generally the cold start period.
Idling for long periods is not good for the motor.
I know of no reason to start it.
Mine is stored for 4-5 months.

JR-01 09-27-2018 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by grantv (Post 1598059662)
Hardest time on a motor is generally the cold start period.
Idling for long periods is not good for the motor.
I know of no reason to start it.
Mine is stored for 4-5 months.

:iagree:

Most of the experts agree. Best to leave it alone over the cold winter months.