CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   What we kinda found our at Funfest at GMs sponsored presentation (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4190880-what-we-kinda-found-our-at-funfest-at-gms-sponsored-presentation.html)

C5Driver 09-21-2018 07:22 PM

What we kinda found our at Funfest at GMs sponsored presentation

So the car was solely referred to as the 2020 C8. It was emphasized many times that mid engine and some sort of awd system works best in a mid motor configuration. DTC was mentioned more than once, 7 speed dtc was mentioned once. Electric and mechanical awd was discussed a lot. NO V6 Dave then gave me a glare and said I needed to have my mouth washed out with soap for even bringing that up. All he said about price was the old GM mantra it will compare with today’s models but just what model that is was not mentioned. Nothing much else was said but they did have extensive videos of the car on the track in Germany.

fasttoys 09-21-2018 07:35 PM

C5driver I hope you enjoyed the soap as every time you mentioned v6 in other post i was wondering if you needed a hearing aide:rofl:Bob Lutz had great video info in autoline last night too.

Good info thanks

Jeff V. 09-21-2018 07:48 PM

This was Dave McLellan, right?

Just so everyone is aware, in case there's any confusion, Dave retired before the C5 was even a thing (1992). So while he's got some valued, respected insight, it's highly unlikely he's in the loop regarding the specifics of a car 4 generations removed from his tenure at GM.

RedDropTop 09-21-2018 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by C5Driver (Post 1598027550)
So the car was solely referred to as the 2020 C8. It was emphasized many times that mid engine and some sort of awd system works best in a mid motor configuration. DTC was mentioned more than once, 7 speed dtc was mentioned once. Electric and mechanical awd was discussed a lot. NO V6 Dave then gave me a glare and said I needed to have my mouth washed out with soap for even bringing that up. All he said about price was the old GM mantra it will compare with today’s models but just what model that is was not mentioned. Nothing much else was said but they did have extensive videos of the car on the track in Germany.

Thank you, C5Driver, for this report!

"2020 C8". This is exciting! So we know what they refer to it as.

"It was emphasized many times that mid engine and some sort of awd system works best in a mid motor configuration." Great, they discussed "mid motor". Very good.

"DTC was mentioned more than once, 7 speed dtc was mentioned once." Okay, so they have admitted to DCT. Check.

"Electric and mechanical awd was discussed a lot." Yeah, as Lutz (and others) said back in 2015 that there would eventually be an electric motor in the front.

"NO V6 Dave then gave me a glare and said I needed to have my mouth washed out with soap for even bringing that up." Ha ha. That is funny. Okay, so we know it is definitely V8.

"All he said about price was the old GM mantra it will compare with today’s models but just what model that is was not mentioned." Okay. Good. Price attainable by current Corvette buyers.

"Nothing much else was said but they did have extensive videos of the car on the track in Germany." Cool! Actually showing video of the ME car! This is exciting!

NoOne 09-21-2018 08:04 PM

If AWD/Hybrid comes along, and its under 100k it will be game changing.

WhiteDiamond 09-22-2018 09:12 AM

My guess has been that GM would try some sort of electric front drive to give a "higher" performance version extra capability. I would be surprised to see GM do much more than a simple system with a relatively small battery. I don't think there will be a C8 with a driveshaft running up to the front.

Mr Triple Black 09-22-2018 01:12 PM

I prefer no electric and RWD over AWD. Hopefully they continue that in the future. I definitely wish the NSX had a RWD only option. I’m not into the over engineering of products. I think that’s why cars like the original NSX, the C5/C6 Z06s, and S2000, were all so popular.

sunsalem 09-22-2018 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by C5Driver (Post 1598027550)

Thank you for putting some official meat on the bones. :)

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond (Post 1598029503)
My guess has been that GM would try some sort of electric front drive to give a "higher" performance version extra capability. I would be surprised to see GM do much more than a simple system with a relatively small battery. I don't think there will be a C8 with a driveshaft running up to the front.

Agreed.
At this point, it doesn't make much business sense for such a system.

Originally Posted by Mr Triple Black (Post 1598030600)
I prefer no electric and RWD over AWD. Hopefully they continue that in the future. I definitely wish the NSX had a RWD only option..

REAL Sportscars are RWD...so sayeth the toad:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/attac...a0-gif.482600/

JoesC5 09-22-2018 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Triple Black (Post 1598030600)
I prefer no electric and RWD over AWD. Hopefully they continue that in the future. I definitely wish the NSX had a RWD only option. I’m not into the over engineering of products. I think that’s why cars like the original NSX, the C5/C6 Z06s, and S2000, were all so popular.

With the ultra poor sales of the AWD NSX, I bet Acura wishes it also didn't have a AWD with all that crappy electric shit. Maybe more than a half dozen people a month would be interested in buying a new NSX if it was less complicated and less money.

Mr Triple Black 09-22-2018 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1598031398)
With the ultra poor sales of the AWD NSX, I bet Acura wishes it also didn't have a AWD with all that crappy electric shit. Maybe more than a half dozen people a month would be interested in buying a new NSX if it was less complicated and less money.

100%
if the car was 80-110k, RWD, and the same amount of power it has now but less weight, it would have been the original NSX all over again. Would have totally disrupted the industry. Instead you have people buying heavily discounted new ones for 120k because sales are so trash which has made the secondary market more than awful because dealers want 130k for those and owners don’t want to sell/trade in due to fear of taking the giant hit.

Audi did much better in 08 with the R8. I always said that was the new NSX.

Jeff V. 09-22-2018 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by sunsalem (Post 1598030724)
Thank you for putting some official meat on the bones. :)

Dave has been retired for over 25 years. The C5 was barely into the napkin doodles phase when he left. How is this in any way "official" ?

pietro c7 09-23-2018 12:18 AM

Dave probably has a good chance of having a “ball park “ figure of what this car is and approximate cost.

....and so does Bob Lutz,...Peter DeLorenzo...and so on...

Jeff V. 09-23-2018 12:27 AM

I've said they have valuable opinions. But as much as I respect them, they haven't been part of GM for 10-20 years. Nothing they say is "official" at all.

kingpin111 09-23-2018 01:04 AM

Here is the video of what the OP is talking about that I started in another thread.

sunsalem 09-23-2018 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff V. (Post 1598033495)
I've said they have valuable opinions. But as much as I respect them, they haven't been part of GM for 10-20 years. Nothing they say is "official" at all.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply OFFICIAL official.
Rather, that it was from a credible source (for once).

RedDropTop 09-23-2018 03:00 AM

Thank you, kingpin111, for posting this video!

Rkreigh 09-23-2018 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1598031398)

at the high price point the nsx won't sell corvette hopefully learns from their mistakes. the electric front drive would be cool if they used capacitors and a small battery to keep weight down

energy recovery is a good thing as is instant torq they have quite a bit invested in the electric technology and it could be a nice upgrade if done well

fake 09-23-2018 08:23 AM

Simce the late 70'S they have been talking about a mid engine. Give me a break it will never happen! They will loose to many customers. Now a all Electric count me in ,with a 500 mile range. I hate pumping smelly gas. Wake up GM electric is the future and the cars are quick!

keagan 09-23-2018 08:45 AM

How much would a car like this weigh IF it comes with AWD, Electric Motors, DCT, Safety stuff and all that comes with vettes? I cannot imagine the Z version being turbocharged, AWD and have electric motors. That's a whole lotta added weight. Will the usual suspected parts be Carbon Fiber (e.g. Hood, Doors, Roof)?

Walter Raulerson 09-23-2018 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by keagan (Post 1598034131)
How much would a car like this weigh IF it comes with AWD, Electric Motors, DCT, Safety stuff and all that comes with vettes? I cannot imagine the Z version being turbocharged, AWD and have electric motors. That's a whole lotta added weight. Will the usual suspected parts be Carbon Fiber (e.g. Hood, Doors, Roof)?

GM is keeping the price "down" buy STILL using aluminum and sparsely using carbon fiber