CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Is not having NPP exhaust enough to pass on this deal? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4190946-is-not-having-npp-exhaust-enough-to-pass-on-this-deal.html)

younglifecrisis 09-21-2018 11:56 PM

Is not having NPP exhaust enough to pass on this deal?

I've been looking for a c7 in the color combination that I want for months. Aside from the colors, my requirements were 3lt and automatic and I was slowly growing towards needing it to be 2015 or newer. Well I have a proposed deal for a 2015 c7 with 15k miles for 42k. Problem is it doesn't have z51, but it does have the zf1 appearance package. So my only problem now is the lack of the npp exhaust! I know I can get an aftermarket exhaust, but you lose the ability to change the exhaust according to the drive setting. I'm not entirely sure if the exhaust noise really is that important to me, but having a mean sounding car does sound appealing..

A couple other minor problems but fixable are the spoiler and side mirrors are boos colored and I would prefer them to be black so I would get that done (how much would that be?) and I might change the wheel rim colors

psd_24s 09-22-2018 12:21 AM

I was in the same boat as you, i grabbed the car and just did a full exhaust (long tubes, catless x pipe and corsa axleback) no regrets here

younglifecrisis 09-22-2018 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by psd_24s (Post 1598028739)
I was in the same boat as you, i grabbed the car and just did a full exhaust (long tubes, catless x pipe and corsa axleback) no regrets here

Two questions. 1. How much were the parts plus installation? 2. Do you miss the ability to change how much noise is produced, and would you say the base was able to be at least somewhat good?

psd_24s 09-22-2018 12:47 AM

I cant remeber price of parts and labour off hand tsp long tubes and catless xpipe is about 1k and i dont remeber the corsa axleback price but the car is really loud i wouldnt recomend it for a daily, i bought a non npp car so i never had that ability to begin with..why i didnt mind getting one without was because i used to drive my buddys that had the npp exhaust and for me it wasnt loud enough so i knew i would have changed it anyways, for some people they are happy with it, id drive one with the NPP and see what your thoughts on it are....what i do miss is the magnetic ride, car feels kind of floaty without it, i guess coilovers will be in my future to stiffen the ride up a bit

Originally Posted by younglifecrisis (Post 1598028747)
Two questions. 1. How much were the parts plus installation? 2. Do you miss the ability to change how much noise is produced, and would you say the base was able to be at least somewhat good?

Kevin A Jones 09-22-2018 01:11 AM

It's really up to you, NPP was a feature I wasn't going to compromise on, and didn't.

younglifecrisis 09-22-2018 01:48 AM

Yeah I guess I could test drive a car, but I'd have to test drive both a non-npp and an npp and idk if dealers will be willing for me to do that.

Vetteman Jack 09-22-2018 01:57 AM

It can’t hurt to ask. IMO, if they want to sell a car and you are serious about buying, they’ll offer a test drive.

younglifecrisis 09-22-2018 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1598028909)
It can’t hurt to ask. IMO, if they want to sell a car and you are serious about buying, they’ll offer a test drive.

oh im not getting it from a dealer. private seller

fumbling 09-22-2018 03:41 AM

If the non-NPP exhaust sounds the same as the NPP exhaust in Touring Mode, the non-NPP exhaust would sound way too quiet in my opinion. The NPP exhaust in Sport Mode (valves open) sounds like what a V8 Corvette should sound like..

younglifecrisis 09-22-2018 03:44 AM

Yeah that's my issue. I'm getting a good deal maybe even great I think, but a quiet exhaust isn't ideal for a sports car..but it's always something I can fix with aftermarket parts but I can't change how quiet it is like with the npp then ;(

SilverGhost 09-22-2018 04:10 AM

NPP has a new pet trick in the c7, you go to the preferences menu in the center console display screen and you can choose the loudest setting to run ALL the time in any driving mode. Cool? yeah, when it worked. but after I get up to speed 35-45 the exhaust noise goes quiet. not a real issue for me. Also you can pop a fuse out and have it full time.....but, wouldn't it be better to get a full time aftermarket exhaust at your preferred loud setting and leave the fuses intact? oh, in a C6 GS I had that I put some miles on, one of the flappers got stuck, in NPP you are blowing superheated engine carbonized oil and gas grime on a moving part valve flap. somethings gotta stick when that happens over time.

if you find a car you like, I wouldn't make a $1200 complicated noisemaker the tipping point for buy/not buy. plenty options for aftermarket noise in your face all the time.

also google Corsa for C7

younglifecrisis 09-22-2018 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by SilverGhost (Post 1598029000)
if you find a car you like, I wouldn't make a $1200 complicated noisemaker the tipping point for buy/not buy. plenty options for aftermarket noise in your face all the time.

Thanks for the input! That's the problem though. I don't want an exhaust that's making max noise all the time which is what would happen with aftermarket. Also would you say the lack of z51 also shouldn't be a deal breaker if I'm not going to track it?

fsvoboda 09-22-2018 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by younglifecrisis (Post 1598028674)
So my only problem now is the lack of the npp exhaust! I know I can get an aftermarket exhaust, but you lose the ability to change the exhaust according to the drive setting. I'm not entirely sure if the exhaust noise really is that important to me, but having a mean sounding car does sound appealing..

As others have mentioned, you can easily upgrade the exhaust as you wish for about the cost of NPP.

Also, you may not need to spend that money. After you have the car you may find that NPP isn't that important to you.

I have a non-NPP car, and I find that it makes plenty of noise when you floor it.

younglifecrisis 09-22-2018 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by fsvoboda (Post 1598029023)
As others have mentioned, you can easily upgrade the exhaust as you wish for about the cost of NPP.

Also, you may not need to spend that money. After you have the car you may find that NPP isn't that important to you.

I have a non-NPP car, and I find that it makes plenty of noise when you floor it.

I could very easily see myself not needing an upgrade once I actually start driving it, but like I said in the other responses, I don't think I would want an aftermarket anyways because it's always set to max basically. You don't get that same variability that stock offers.

joemessman 09-22-2018 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by younglifecrisis (Post 1598029020)
Thanks for the input! That's the problem though. I don't want an exhaust that's making max noise all the time which is what would happen with aftermarket. Also would you say the lack of z51 also shouldn't be a deal breaker if I'm not going to track it?

Definitely a deal breaker if you are going to track it. Those items that come with the Z51 option are a must. You don't want to be adding a bunch of hardware to the car after you buy it to make it track ready. And what you mention about the exhaust making max noise all the time after adding a product afterwards is something you don't want......pass on the car.

SilverGhost 09-22-2018 05:23 AM

you say the lack of z51 also shouldn't be a deal breaker
my first c6 vert was not a z51, with it i always had a case of Z51 envy. And then I got a c6 z06 to overcome my 427/z51 envy, and then a c6 gs vert cause i missed the vert too much with the non-removable panel hard top c6 Z06.

for my c7 i started over again at a base 1lt vert, I no longer have GS or big hp motor envy. But I LOVE the heavy duty brakes, extra capacity dry-sump oiler, transmission cooler (I have the A8) and differential cooler on the Z51 package, and since it is a vert, I will never be allowed to track it. Still wanted the Z51 for the heavy duty parts. Plus I got the mag ride, I keep in T driving mode, so I have very similar (smooth) ride to a base model. And I don't bend or crack rims using that ride setting.

You don't need a Z51 package for the street, but my personal preference was for one (and the NPP is included in the Z51 package.)

Z51 Performance Package, includes (J55) performance brakes, (J6A) Black-painted calipers, slotted brake rotors, (Z52) dry sump oil system, (FE3) Z51 performance suspension, specific shocks, springs and stabilizer bars, (NPP) performance exhaust, (XFJ) P245/35ZR19 front and P285/30ZR20 rear tires, (Q7S) Silver-painted aluminum, 19" front and 20" rear wheels, performance gear ratios, (G96) Electronic Limited Slip Differential (eLSD), (KNR) rear differential cooler, transmission cooling and an Aero Package

fsvoboda 09-22-2018 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by younglifecrisis (Post 1598029030)
I could very easily see myself not needing an upgrade once I actually start driving it, but like I said in the other responses, I don't think I would want an aftermarket anyways because it's always set to max basically. You don't get that same variability that stock offers.

Check the discussions of various aftermarket exhausts here on Corvette Forum. Apparently they vary a lot (by design) in how much noise they produce and under what conditions. I'm not an expert on this, but there are people who are, including the guys at the various manufacturers.

But in any case, only you can finally balance the value of different options and deals on individual cars.

Good luck.

23/C8Z 09-22-2018 06:22 AM

you answered your own questions.. you want the NPP exhaust? get one with it. you cannot add it. not through the way it was designed.

there's a good 100,000 PLUS C7's out there.. find the one you want.. you'll ALWAYS have the want for it if you compromise on that car.

laserjack 09-22-2018 07:13 AM

I was in same situation as you....wanted shark gray, NPP, Z51, mag ride, Black carbon flashed mirrors , full size spoiler ( comes with Z51) also carbon flashed, plus black rims. I just kept looking and looking until I found exactly what I wanted. NPP is great, I mostly ride around in the loudest ( TRACK ) mode, but can always just tone it down. At idle or any speed, has great sound, not just as someone else responded, sounds good when you floor it. NPP for me was a must, plus the 3" full exhaust pipes look much better than the non-NPP systems. Once you start looking into adding different rims ( purchase plus mounting ), again, for me it was worth waiting until I found it. Depending where you live, how much riding time is left in your season.....here in upstate NY another month or so and it's off the road.
Don't settle for something close....I just kept looking at autotrader, cargurus, and googling dealers in surrounding states. I actually went to Massachusetts for mine, and everything went smoothly.

dvilin 09-22-2018 08:21 AM

I would keep looking, it is lacking too many items that you really want in addition to the exhaust. Plenty of other good deals out there no need to compromise on what you want.