CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Body shaming (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4191352-body-shaming.html)

tcinla 09-23-2018 11:12 AM

Body shaming

let’s all let GM know that we don’t want that narrow / wide body BS with the C8. Give them all fat wheels ...

Yarbie 09-23-2018 12:13 PM

Ypu need spel check !!! Lol

JerryU 09-23-2018 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by tcinla (Post 1598034877)
leta all let GM know that we don’t want that narrow / wide body BS with the C8. Give ithen all fat wheels ...

Looks like that won't happen from the pics in Germany-the rears look narrow!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9402edb6c1.jpg

JerryU 09-23-2018 02:31 PM

leta all let GM know that we don’t want that narrow / wide body BS with the C8. Give ithen all fat wheels ...

Hard to tell for sure but took a pic from Germany and lighted and increased contrast and got this pic. Heck the wife's SUV 315 section width rear tires might be wider! :lol:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5bc216ae1e.jpg

MitchAlsup 09-23-2018 03:17 PM

You prefer wide / narrow body instead ? !?!

rsvette12 09-23-2018 03:21 PM

Wide of course he didnt word it very well in his haste - translated not stingray body width - a Z06 widebody preferred from the start and I agree but not going to happen and you can take that to the bank too lol

tcinla 09-23-2018 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Yarbie (Post 1598035195)
Ypu need spel check !!! Lol

iPad itis.

SpeedyD 09-23-2018 03:26 PM

I don't think wide body will happen at all - effects aero and with the motor mid wider tires aren't necessarily needed. Most of the cars have been getting away from it.
Dan

JerryU 09-23-2018 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by rsvette12 (Post 1598036057)
Wide of course he didnt word it very well in his haste - translated not stingray body width - a Z06 widebody preferred from the start and I agree but not going to happen and you can take that to the bank too lol

:iagree: Probably what we see at the Nurburgring, which looks like the 285 section width Z51. But expect the 650+ hp Z06 or whatever name for the higher hp version will need wider. They may than have the same for the Grand Sport, which some of us who don’t need the extra power will buy!

So if keeping the current names it’s a Z51 for 2020 then sell it in 2023/4 for a Grand Sport! :lol:

Bikerjulio 09-23-2018 04:47 PM

The mule's tire sizes have been known since May.

245 /35 ZR19 front and 305/30 ZR20 rear.

C8 tire sizes

DSOMDream 09-23-2018 07:48 PM

Thanks, Biker. Paul

JerryU 09-23-2018 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio (Post 1598036402)
The mule's tire sizes have been known since May.

245 /35 ZR19 front and 305/30 ZR20 rear.

C8 tire sizes

Thanks. Guess my ProStreet Rod will still chuckle when I pull in with a C8 as even with 53% of it's weight on the 420 section width sticky Mickey Thompson tires from the set back 502 cid BB with long tube headers etc, it's still traction limited off the line with an adjustable 4 bar link 9 inch Ford with posi rear! :lol:

Speednet 09-23-2018 09:46 PM

GM makes more money off its high-end Corvette models (like every car company does), so there needs to be compelling differences to get people to fork over their money. Hence, the body style will always be better (i.e., wider) on the high-end cars. Sorry.

Stew24 09-23-2018 09:48 PM

They gotta have "something" to visually justify you paying that extra coin for the high performance variant!

Michael A 09-23-2018 10:18 PM

Not a fan of the flared fender look myself. It looks especially bad on a mid-engine car. The original Lamborghini Countach was literally destroyed with tacked on fender flares and wings. Fortunately, it's rare to see mid-engine cars ruined with body widening and flaring.

JerryU 09-24-2018 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Speednet (Post 1598037951)
GM makes more money off its high-end Corvette models (like every car company does), so there needs to be compelling differences to get people to fork over their money. Hence, the body style will always be better (i.e., wider) on the high-end cars. Sorry.

Originally Posted by Stew24 (Post 1598037961)
They gotta have "something" to visually justify you paying that extra coin for the high performance variant!

With a very large corporation like GM and their overhead, not so easy to make money at low volume as the small boutique auto companies can! They were losing money on the C6 after 2008! Tadge said if the C7 didn't sell in higher quantities the Corvette would be gone! Fortunately it has!

I bought the Grand Sport NOT because I liked the "look!" Can't see how anyone can like "Spats!" Looks like my '74 rag top Jeep Renegade! However my 2014 Z51 was traction limited and needed wider rear tires, IMO. Overall I think it looks fine as "form follows function." I added Stage 3 Winglets to my Stage 2 Aero splitter and the larger ACS front Splash Guards that IMO help integrate the look of the Spats - however esthetics are subjective.

But agree GM has to spice up the offering after a few years to keep new car sales up and for folks like me who sell after 3 to 5 years to make some new owner happy with a lower cost Vette! :lol:

tcinla 09-24-2018 12:41 PM

Wider is better... I just don't want the same B.S. about not getting wide tires, whatever the body. So I'd like the Oprah approach : You get the wide body! You get the wide body! Everybody gets the wide body!

I don't know if GM can engineer the rear end of narrow-bodys to take wider wheels. If so, fine keep the current tiered system.

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup (Post 1598036032)
You prefer wide / narrow body instead ? !?!

Atari_Prime 09-24-2018 12:46 PM

Wide tires are used for grip, both in straight lines and curves. With modern day traction control, launch control, stability control, some of the need for such wide tires is diminished. The biggest issue with wide tires has always been curves. With wide tires you go into a curve fast, push the Gs harder and harder and then the tires say no more, and all the built up forces send the car flying into a donut or tree. If the tires had been skinnier, grip would have been lost sooner, long before extreme Gs had been built up and when the tires broke loose would be much easier to recover. As mid-engines are already easier to spin due to the location of the engine, this creates some risk. So, don't fret if the General narrows the tires a bit, it may just save your life.

Atari_Prime 09-24-2018 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Michael A (Post 1598038123)
Not a fan of the flared fender look myself. It looks especially bad on a mid-engine car. The original Lamborghini Countach was literally destroyed with tacked on fender flares and wings. Fortunately, it's rare to see mid-engine cars ruined with body widening and flaring.

What?! You are drunk. The early Countach is a sad comparison to the later ones. It is an incomplete masterpiece waiting to find its da Vinci. As far as looks go, there are few cars prettier than an 89' Countach.

Patches 09-24-2018 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by JerryU (Post 1598039588)
With a very large corporation like GM and their overhead, not so easy to make money at low volume as the small boutique auto companies can! They were losing money on the C6 after 2008! Tadge said if the C7 didn't sell in higher quantities the Corvette would be gone! Fortunately it has!

I bought the Grand Sport NOT because I liked the "look!" Can't see how anyone can like "Spats!" Looks like my '74 rag top Jeep Renegade! However my 2014 Z51 was traction limited and needed wider rear tires, IMO. Overall I think it looks fine as "form follows function." I added Stage 3 Winglets to my Stage 2 Aero splitter and the larger ACS front Splash Guards that IMO help integrate the look of the Spats - however esthetics are subjective.

But agree GM has to spice up the offering after a few years to keep new car sales up and for folks like me who sell after 3 to 5 years to make some new owner happy with a lower cost Vette! :lol:

Wide body is not necessary on the C7 to run wider rubber. I am running Pirelli Nero 375's (really, they are equivalent to a 355) on the back and 285's on the front of my '14 Z51 on HRE's that were built for the standard Stingray. Hopefully, similar wheel well room will be available on the C8.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...40f25b05a4.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1fe95b100a.jpg