CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Speed-Engineering header and X-pipe full install (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/4191672-speed-engineering-header-and-x-pipe-full-install.html)

Liltroy 09-24-2018 09:43 AM

Speed-Engineering header and X-pipe full install

Hey guys I think this is my first post but this tech section has been a huge help for me the last few months and I wanted to give back. I wasn’t able to find any good write ups or videos outlining everything involved in installing this Speed Engineering header and x-pipe so I decided to do it all in video to help others out that may be thinking about doing it. I plan to do more installation videos in the future as well. Hope this helps and thank you to everyone here that’s done writeups in the sticky!

Robrote 09-24-2018 02:44 PM

I just installed mine about a month ago. Zero issues with header fitment. I did have the Xpipe welded up. So far, 100% satisfied. My only con is the gas fumes with the catless. I'll check out your video tonight when I'm out of work,.

Liltroy 09-24-2018 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Robrote (Post 1598041768)
I just installed mine about a month ago. Zero issues with header fitment. I did have the Xpipe welded up. So far, 100% satisfied. My only con is the gas fumes with the catless. I'll check out your video tonight when I'm out of work,.

Yea brother those were probably the best fitting and easiest to install headers I've done in 20 years! I had read all kinds of stuff about having to jack the engine up and drop the starter and unbolt the steering shaft but none of it was true.

Robrote 09-24-2018 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Liltroy (Post 1598043045)
Yea brother those were probably the best fitting and easiest to install headers I've done in 20 years! I had read all kinds of stuff about having to jack the engine up and drop the starter and unbolt the steering shaft but none of it was true.

Just watched your vid. Good stuff. I had exactly the same experience. You got a new sub

Liltroy 09-24-2018 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Robrote (Post 1598043649)
Just watched your vid. Good stuff. I had exactly the same experience. You got a new sub

Thanks brother. I appreciate that. Hopefully it helps some people out.:thumbs:

redzg 09-24-2018 08:37 PM

Funnest YouTube video in a while! Great! Will head over to YouTube for the thumbs up.
With some reports of flawless fit, and others of less than perfect fit, I wonder if there is a case of differing build quality, or development of better jigs over time.

Mr. Black 09-24-2018 11:36 PM

Hey Troy........

Absolutely love your channel and have been a subscriber for a while now. (Mrblack947 on youtubes)

Sometimes I may do things a little differently. I don't care though it doesn't matter. I love watching a channel where a dude just gets it done and overcomes any adversity. You have a great easy going spirit. Keep it up and keep cranking out some more videos.

neutron82 09-24-2018 11:50 PM

"holy sh*t it sounds like a f*ckin' race car!":lolg:

Liltroy 09-25-2018 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Black (Post 1598044957)
Hey Troy........

Absolutely love your channel and have been a subscriber for a while now. (Mrblack947 on youtubes)

Sometimes I may do things a little differently. I don't care though it doesn't matter. I love watching a channel where a dude just gets it done and overcomes any adversity. You have a great easy going spirit. Keep it up and keep cranking out some more videos.

Thanks brother!

Liltroy 09-25-2018 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by neutron82 (Post 1598045009)
"holy sh*t it sounds like a f*ckin' race car!":lolg:

LOL...yea it was waaaay louder than the turbo C10 I built. :yesnod:

Liltroy 09-26-2018 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by redzg (Post 1598044028)
Funnest YouTube video in a while! Great! Will head over to YouTube for the thumbs up.
With some reports of flawless fit, and others of less than perfect fit, I wonder if there is a case of differing build quality, or development of better jigs over time.

I’m wondering the same. I’m also wondering if there are slight diffferences in the C5s from year to year that effect fitment. I know my drivers side header collector actually aims slightly upward and it causes the whole Xpipe to sit slightly crooked under the car. I actually mention that in the second video. Also someone commented on the video today that he was unable to just slide either side in without removing the steering shaft and that the collector in his passenger side was actually hitting inside the trans tunnel. So that makes me think that there may be jig issues OR there are slight differences in these cars from year to year or from manual to automatic that effects fitment. BUT it could be installation error as well. I can personally attest to trying for hours to install a part in the past and yelling and screaming that it doesn’t fit and then have a friend come over and twist it a certain way and it just bolts right on. I know it sounds rediculous but it does happen.....even to people that work on cars for a living. Lol

Route99 09-27-2018 06:35 PM

Helpful video.
I have headers on but still like to watch other styles being installed.
I've already been watching your youtube ('54 Chev) channel and did not realize that was you.
Enjoy your work!

Liltroy 09-28-2018 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Route99 (Post 1598063265)
Helpful video.
I have headers on but still like to watch other styles being installed.
I've already been watching your youtube ('54 Chev) channel and did not realize that was you.
Enjoy your work!

thanks for watching brother. I’m just trying to have fun and help others out at the same time.