CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Surging with Range device? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4191723-surging-with-range-device.html)

Sconn 09-24-2018 11:22 AM

Surging with Range device?

So, I tried my Range device for the first time last night. I don't have any TC issues yet, but I wanted to be proactive.

I definitely did notice a difference, but I'm not sure I liked it. I drove both in town and highway, using cruise. It seems like the car wants to surge just slightly and only for a split instant. I don't know if this is the car wanting to go into V4 mode and the range catches it and prevents it or??? That's almost what it feels like. Has anyone else noticed this?

Shifts also seemed more pronounced in every gear, especially the higher ones like 7th and 8th. It was the slight surges that annoyed me most though.

​​​​​​I searched this and found nothing. Thoughts?

paceviper 09-24-2018 11:47 AM

Did you buy directly from Range. Mine is smooth as silk....Jimmy

Sconn 09-24-2018 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by paceviper (Post 1598040593)
Did you buy directly from Range. Mine is smooth as silk....Jimmy

Yup, straight from Range.

paceviper 09-24-2018 11:52 AM

What version did you end up with. Just trying to touch all the bases.

Sconn 09-24-2018 11:57 AM

I literally ordered straight from Range. Learned the hard way on that one as my last came from Amazon and was clearly the older version.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a4a1db96c6.jpg

ToQuick 09-24-2018 11:58 AM

I don't have any issues with mine at all. If anything my shift points seem smoother with Range plugged in.

paceviper 09-24-2018 12:09 PM

At this point I would give Range a call and discuss a replacement with them. From what I hear they stand behind their product......Jimmy

Formula52 09-24-2018 12:10 PM

Yes, I too notice a little surge with the Range plugged in, but not really an issue with me....

Sconn 09-24-2018 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Formula52 (Post 1598040780)
Yes, I too notice a little surge with the Range plugged in, but not really an issue with me....

OK, I'm glad it's not just me. It's like a pulse surge. Didn't really even notice anything on the tach associated with it either, but it was there. Both my husband and I could feel it.

Formula52 09-24-2018 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sconn (Post 1598040821)
OK, I'm glad it's not just me. It's like a pulse surge. Didn't really even notice anything on the tach associated with it either, but it was there. Both my husband and I could feel it.

Yup, exactly what I feel.... Don't know why....

bjones7131 09-24-2018 12:54 PM

When does the surge occur, when tranny changes gears or after you are in whatever gear and cruising or when you first put in gear? I haven't experienced this and I bought mine from a forum member and sent it back to have it upgraded to latest version free of charge. Very happy with range and service.

Sconn 09-24-2018 02:39 PM

Ok, got a chance to drive it again. Definitely a bit of a surge and even the exhaust note changes. This is with cruise on the highway.

However! I changed the display so I could watch what mode it stayed in... 3 times I caught it go into V4 mode. Once coming off the highway, once coming to a stoplight and another after a turn from a stoplight. So, me thinks I need to talk to Range about this.

Rebel Yell 09-24-2018 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sconn (Post 1598041734)
Ok, got a chance to drive it again. Definitely a bit of a surge and even the exhaust note changes. This is with cruise on the highway.

However! I changed the display so I could watch what mode it stayed in... 3 times I caught it go into V4 mode. Once coming off the highway, once coming to a stoplight and another after a turn from a stoplight. So, me thinks I need to talk to Range about this.

I suggest you unplug the unit, plug it in again, and take it for a drive. It may not be seated good into the port.
If that doesn't work givee em a call, they're good folks.

Sconn 09-24-2018 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell (Post 1598042586)
If it's dropping into V4 mode something must be off with the unit. Give em a call, they're good folks.

Yup... Already did. They gave me reset instructions to try. I'll see if that does the trick. It's definitely not normal. I ended up pulling it today because the hesitation was getting really annoying.

Rebel Yell 09-24-2018 04:37 PM

I hope the reset works for you. Keep us updated.

Sconn 09-24-2018 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell (Post 1598042614)
I hope the reset works for you. Keep us updated.

Will do! Thanks Rebel :)

FunDriver 09-24-2018 05:14 PM

I've put a few more miles on mine and today almost 200 miles in Tour mode and mostly 7th and 8th gear and they were consistently smooth shifts. I had one slightly rough downshift when coming to a stop but I had those before too. I'm very happy with my Range. No problems whatsoever.

rmorin1249 09-24-2018 06:07 PM

It should never go into V4 mode with the Range plugged in. Are you using a switch or directly into the OBD port?

ExRedRacer 09-24-2018 06:24 PM

Definitely a malfunction if you’re seeing it go into V4 mode with the device properly plugged into the OBD port. Regardless of which mode...Weather/Tour/Eco/Sport/Track ....you’re driving in, it should always be using all 8 cylinders.

I’ve had a great experience with my Ranger device....smooth shifts in all gears and no worries about TC problems.

Just let them know what’s going on and they’ll send you a new one. Keep us posted.

Sconn 09-24-2018 06:45 PM

Well, I tried Range's reset instructions and it was still popping in and out of V8 mode. In one mile it did it 3 times all at under 40 mph.

It is plugged directly into the port. That's hard to screw up. The connection is tight. I'll have to call them again tomorrow and see where to go from here.