CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Tires (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4191731-tires.html)

Finallysee5 09-24-2018 11:44 AM

Tires

What do most C5 owners recommend for tires? Was planning on C6 z06 brake upgrade but was concerned whether my current 245/40ZR18 and 285/35ZR19 would clear the bigger calipers. Was also interested in the CCW 505 or SP16 wheels.
CCW just told me that my current tires won’t work with brake upgrade and the app 505 or SP16. Gonna need bigger tires. They recommended 275/35/18 and 295/30/19. 1” lip front and 2” lip rear.
looking for input on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. PS2? Pirelli’s? Car won’t be on a track and won’t be a DD. Checking out pricing with West Coast Corvette and TireRack.com. Any particular manufacturer that is favored over another? Go easy on me!! 😁😁Just want to do it right the first time and get the best pricing out there.
Thanks!!

Boeuf 09-24-2018 04:10 PM

I run the Michelin PS4S and they are awesome.

These tires pretty much win every comparison test they're put in. They are expensive but in my opinion they're worth the extra $$$.

These tires are comfortable as well and are excellent in the rain.

I have also had these at the track and in my opinion you won't find a better street tire for the track unless you move to a 200tw tire.

These tires are a win. I'll buy them again unless I start tracking a lot more, in which case I'll move to a 200tw tire.

Finallysee5 09-24-2018 05:17 PM

I’ll check them out. I live in New England so car won’t be driven 5-6 months outta the year.
checking reviews on Hankook Ventus EVO K120. Not top of the line but reviews seem positive

Vetteman Jack 09-24-2018 06:23 PM

I have the Hankook Ventus V12 EVOs on my C5 and love them. Smooth, quiet ride, good handling and very good in wet weather. Tread wear is very good too as well is the price. If they make them in the sizes you want, I would highly recommend them.

Route99 09-24-2018 07:39 PM

I thought the tire sizes you have now would clear the larger brakes. I know several of the members have those on their C5s so hopefully some of them will weigh in on that. Guess I thought brake clearance was driven more by the wheel size/offset rather than tire size. Always a chance to learn something new, though.
As for tires, we use the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP. We do a lot of longer trips and just prefer having the run flats. Seems like the few longer trips we've been able to make lately have all had us returning late night so prefer to not be laying under the car then. :D
Of course if we track it, we can switch tires/wheels. Same when I take it back to the drag strip.
If you have any Discount Tires in your area you may want to check with them, too. I've used them for years and have had great service every time.
Cheers!

Finallysee5 09-24-2018 07:52 PM

Thanks! Checking out the Michelin Pilot SS.
i want the CCW SP16 or the SP505’s. BBK or not, I will need larger tires according to CCW for the correct “width and profile” or my current tires would need to be stretched for their recommended fitment.
Call me whatever..... but there is no way I am investing in beautiful wheels and putting them over c5 stock rotors.
just wasn’t planning on getting new tires too. It’s all good though. The car is more than worthy!������

Finallysee5 09-24-2018 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1598043231)
I have the Hankook Ventus V12 EVOs on my C5 and love them. Smooth, quiet ride, good handling and very good in wet weather. Tread wear is very good too as well is the price. If they make them in the sizes you want, I would highly recommend them.

leaning towards the Hankook Ventus V12. Guess great minds think alike! 👍🏻 TireRack.com pricing is reasonable. I actually have them on my car now but not wide enough for the CCW wheels I want. Glad I checked into this first!

blacktapeandnails 09-26-2018 04:07 PM

Hankooks

Originally Posted by Finallysee5 (Post 1598043765)

leaning towards the Hankook Ventus V12. Guess great minds think alike! 👍🏻 TireRack.com pricing is reasonable. I actually have them on my car now but not wide enough for the CCW wheels I

I had Hankooks put on my C5 couple weeks ago and so far like them very much but can’t attest to wet weather performance since I do my best not to run it in the rain.