CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Safety question - 3 point seatbelts (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4192140-safety-question-3-point-seatbelts.html)

65air_coupe 09-25-2018 12:35 PM

Safety question - 3 point seatbelts

I was just reading the post from Stingray Noob detailing his unfortunate front end collision and it got me to thinking again about upgrading to shoulder belts. I have to believe that in their case with a front end collision, they must have been wearing their seat belts and were fortunate to not suffer any worse injuries. Has anyone survived a serious accident with only lap belts and if so, do you believe you would have fared better with shoulder belts?

And after the tragic death of Joe C. (65tripleblack), I also couldn't help but wonder how his car was equipped and if he was wearing whatever belts he had?
And if they were only lap belts, might he have lived if he had shoulders belts?

Between the fact that I'm sure my reaction times have slowed with age and more and more drivers are driving distracted, I'd hate to make my wife a widow while enjoying my vette. If I can dramatically improve my chances with better restraints, I should probably upgrade.

Lola T70 09-25-2018 02:36 PM

I added 3 point belts to my 65. That was the first thing I did after buying it. I wouldn't drive a car unless it had at least 3 point belts.

OHSIXX 09-25-2018 02:41 PM

I have the same fear and am in the process of upgrading to three point belts.

cor66vette 09-25-2018 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by OHSIXX (Post 1598048479)
I have the same fear and am in the process of upgrading to three point belts.

Me, too!

FLYNAVY30 09-25-2018 03:01 PM

I added 3-point belts and have also installed seats with headrests for this exact reason.

Nowhere Man 09-25-2018 03:19 PM

One would think if you installed them wrong you will do more harm then good. And I’m sorry that you all think a little belt fastened to the car will help. These cars got the term death trap for a reason

Dreaming60’s 09-25-2018 03:27 PM

So, I've been thinking of this too in my C1. I've seen C1 shoulder harness belts on an aftermarket AK seat, but it appears the shoulder harness is integral to the seat, rather than attached anywhere to the car. Does anyone know if this is the case? I guess lap belts that attach to the floor and a shoulder harness that is integral, is still better than just lap belts.

BH

daz_au 09-25-2018 03:39 PM

This comes up from time to time and the result is always the same, some people feel safer and others say playing safety engineer at home isn't wise. I think they make me (and passenger) less likely to head butt something or lose teeth in a minor accident but in a major wreck it would be like putting your life vest on before your 747 crashes into the ocean.

68hemi 09-25-2018 04:11 PM

My 57 still does not have lap belts just as it came from the factory. I don't wear the ones in my 65 and for that matter I don't wear them in my modern truck. I never formed the habit. My kids and grandkids all grew up wearing them and it is a natural thing for them to automatically strap in.
I don't agree with the mandatory seat belt law for ADULTS I think it should be our choice as it only effects us. I think it is a 50/50 chance as to how they might protect us in an accident. I don't need to hear any statistics on it--it is JMO. I have totaled 3 car in my life before I was 20 years old and I am still here.

Dreaming60’s 09-25-2018 04:23 PM

It certainly is a mixed bag on opinions. My wife won't wear any restraints, because she says it's been proven they really damage internal organs on a woman's body. It also is too uncomfortable for her to use the shoulder harness.......so no restraints at all.

I've also wondered in a serious accident in a C1, will the lap belt attach brackets maybe rip out due to the weight of the occupant and the seat? These cars are not built to be wrecked, that is for sure.

BH

Factoid 09-25-2018 04:24 PM

Wow.

So, can a three point belt be installed in a 1964 convertible?

Bluestripe67 09-25-2018 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1598048768)
One would think if you installed them wrong you will do more harm then good. And I’m sorry that you all think a little belt fastened to the car will help. These cars got the term death trap for a reason

You cease to amaze me anymore with this your negative thinking. Some of us at our age have learned over the years that some forward thinking has value and content regardless of the known or unknown. Make sure your Chevelle stays pure. :cheers: Dennis

Factoid 09-25-2018 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by 62cruiseer (Post 1598049179)
It certainly is a mixed bag on opinions. My wife won't wear any restraints, because she says it's been proven they really damage internal organs on a woman's body. It also is too uncomfortable for her to use the shoulder harness.......so no restraints at all.

I've also wondered in a serious accident in a C1, will the lap belt attach brackets maybe rip out due to the weight of the occupant and the seat? These cars are not built to be wrecked, that is for sure.

BH

Geez, my wife has...um...huge tracks of land and she insists on a three point belt. Which is why I’m wondering if they can be safely installed in a C2 convertible.

Bluestripe67 09-25-2018 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Factoid (Post 1598049183)
Wow.

So, can a three point belt be installed in a 1964 convertible?

Yes! I put them in my '67....same body. :thumbs: Dennis

Nowhere Man 09-25-2018 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67 (Post 1598049203)
You cease to amaze me with this your negative thinking. Some of us at our age have learned over the years that some forward thinking has value and content regardless of the known or unknown. Make sure your Chevelle stays pure. :cheers: Dennis

we are all here today for a reason. When it’s time it’s time. No backwoods engineering is going to save you

RatDog 09-25-2018 04:41 PM

I installed 3-point belts and headrests about a year ago. I think they make the car safer in some accident situations but all bets are off on a major wreck no matter what you do or don’t do.

‘67 cars and late ‘66 cars already have the rear mounting plates in place.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6e0e94ee2.jpeg

Steve

Nowhere Man 09-25-2018 04:46 PM

Also the day I am scared to drive what I enjoy is they say I sell The safety off these old cars is not what sold me on them.

All you pre 66 guys are driving around with spear in front of them and in the rear is a 20 gallon bomb Fix those faults and maybe a belt will help

Factoid 09-25-2018 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by RatDog (Post 1598049324)
I installed 3-point belts and headrests about a year ago. I think they make the car safer in some accident situations but all bets are off on a major wreck no matter what you do or don’t do.

‘67 cars and late ‘66 cars already have the rear mounting plates in place.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6e0e94ee2.jpeg

Steve

Steve, is the plate welded or bolted to the frame or is it simply a wide plate sitting on the other side of the fiberglass? If the latter, contrary to some earlier posts, we probably can make it safer.

FLYNAVY30 09-25-2018 05:05 PM

Sometimes I just have to laugh.....

Factoid, to answer your question, whether the 3-pt belts are factory original, or aftermarket units, the mounting point is only a rectangular piece of steel riveted to the fiber glass body. I agree with various other opinions that in a major wreck, these could pull through the body. That being said, at the point where there is enough force to pull a 6x6 steel plate through the fiberglass body, both occupants of the vehicle are dead regardless of whether those belts hold or not. The point of 3-pt belts in this car, are to keep you from eating the steering wheel or dash in a low impact fender bender. In my case, I also installed seats with headrests to help prevent neck injuries in a low impact accident. Anyone that argues that a 3-pt belt and headrest in a low impact accident does not improve safety in any way is simply being argumentative.

If you would like specific pics of how the pieces install with an aftermarket kit, feel free to PM me.....it does require drilling 1 hole in the fiberglass body however.

RatDog 09-25-2018 05:08 PM

It’s a plate riveted to the backside of the fiberglass. I’m sure it’s possible to improve upon it, however, GM engineers smarter than me designed it this way. In light of it being a safety feature, it was likely subjected to testing.