CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   36.4 mpg (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4192334-36-4-mpg.html)

A320Flyer 09-25-2018 08:42 PM

36.4 mpg

I just did a 50 mile round trip with my cruise set at 60. All dry, back country roads with no stoplights or traffic. There were only a few small hills, the temp was 76, no passenger, no Range installed ( I just ordered it and it hadn’t arrived yet). So essentially perfect conditions for near max MPG, But I wasn’t expecting over 36 in my new to me base ‘14 convertible. Oh, and the top was down of course.

marsheng 09-25-2018 09:09 PM

These cars are just amazing as I have done very similar mileage numbers in a 2019 vert without trying to drive for economy,Congratulations!

mschuyler 09-25-2018 09:19 PM

Now tell us what MPG you have over the life of the car. These snippets of fantastic MPG scores are meaningless.

PatternDayTrader 09-25-2018 09:25 PM

Good mileage for sure, but keep it in perspective. You burned less than two gallons of fuel, so it's not likely to be an accurate reflection of overall mileage.

A320Flyer 09-25-2018 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by mschuyler (Post 1598051024)
Now tell us what MPG you have over the life of the car. These snippets of fantastic MPG scores are meaningless.

I can’t tell you an mpg for the life of my car. I’m brand new to Corvettes (3 whole weeks) and this forum. I was just simply amazed by the mpg on this “snippet” of a 50 mile round trip. I though, obviously incorrectly, that others might find it interesting. My bad. No need to be nasty about it. That’s not why I joined this forum.

A320Flyer 09-25-2018 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader (Post 1598051064)
Good mileage for sure, but keep it in perspective. You burned less than two gallons of fuel, so it's not likely to be an accurate reflection of overall mileage.

No doubt. I haven’t even gone through my first full tank yet. I’m in my 60s and have owned over 50 cars in my lifetime. I’ve just never experienced this level of power and performance combined with such amazing MPG, even on a short, ideal condition, round trip. I’m really lovin’ the car!

mschuyler 09-25-2018 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by A320Flyer (Post 1598051077)
I can’t tell you an mpg for the life of my car. I’m brand new to Corvettes (3 whole weeks) and this forum. I was just simply amazed by the mpg on this “snippet” of a 50 mile round trip. I though, obviously incorrectly, that others might find it interesting. My bad. No need to be nasty about it. That’s not why I joined this forum.

Not trying to be nasty about it. Just trying to put this in a realistic perspective. We see this all the time. Someone comes down a mountain pass and claims this great MPG and is "amazed," which is nonsense. If you keep the display on instant MPG, you often see in excess of 100 MPG with your foot off the gas going downhill for a few blocks. IMO the culprit here is GM even putting such a misleading measurement into its calculations for people to see and comment on. Who are THEY trying to kid? It's a totally BS measurement. The Corvette gets great gas mileage, there is no doubt, but speaking in hyperbole is misleading and doesn't help anyone because it is not a real-world value. If you joined this forum expecting to never be challenged in making a claim, you came to the wrong place. My MPG over nearly 20,000 miles is 27.5, but the caveat even for me is that it is mostly freeway miles on road trips. In other words, even that overall figure is not accurate if you normally drive "in the city" where you will likely get way less than 20.

Steve Garrett 09-25-2018 10:27 PM

Very cool....congrats.

Strake 09-25-2018 10:27 PM

You can also get a generic, ball park number by looking in the info page on the DIC and look at the total number of gallons of fuel for the life of the car. Take the odometer reading and divide by that total number of gallons number shown on the DIC. Not sure how close it is to the actual number, but I would guess it's in the range.

PatternDayTrader 09-25-2018 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by A320Flyer (Post 1598051290)

No doubt. I haven’t even gone through my first full tank yet. I’m in my 60s and have owned over 50 cars in my lifetime. I’ve just never experienced this level of power and performance combined with such amazing MPG, even on a short, ideal condition, round trip. I’m really lovin’ the car!

It really is somthing how efficient modern engines are. It makes me wonder why anyone would consider buying an electric car.

rbrumm 09-26-2018 01:15 AM

no reason to be a Debbie downer

ptalar 09-26-2018 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader (Post 1598051756)
It really is somthing how efficient modern engines are. It makes me wonder why anyone would consider buying an electric car.

We will be forced to eventually. We won't get a choice. The regulators and politicians have their own agenda and having fun driving a gasoline powered Corvette is not one of them. With that said the electric motors of the future have the potential to put the gasoline engines to shame. Electric motors put out instantaneous torque and are very powerful depending on what is providing the electricity. Instead of the rumble of the engine we will hear the whine of an electric motor. There will be hot rodders of the future who will upgrade their electric motors with upgraded magnets, trick armature windings, maybe even superconducting materials will be available as well as special capacitors to give you that extra boost when you are drag racing. Keep that in mind. While us old timers will miss the sound of a gas engine coming to life it will eventually be as quaint as the horse and buggy and steam engine.

Vetteman Jack 09-26-2018 01:27 AM

Good MPG for a short distance, and amazing they can get that with the performance they offer. But, as you drive more, don't expect the MPG to always be that good.

joemessman 09-26-2018 03:23 AM

When I mention to people that it is the most economical car I have ever had I think they think I'm pulling their leg. 25.9 total mpg with 77,600 miles on it. Mostly highway. We obviously take a lot of trips. :D

falcon5619 09-26-2018 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by mschuyler (Post 1598051382)
Not trying to be nasty about it. Just trying to put this in a realistic perspective. We see this all the time. Someone comes down a mountain pass and claims this great MPG and is "amazed," which is nonsense. If you keep the display on instant MPG, you often see in excess of 100 MPG with your foot off the gas going downhill for a few blocks. IMO the culprit here is GM even putting such a misleading measurement into its calculations for people to see and comment on. Who are THEY trying to kid? It's a totally BS measurement. The Corvette gets great gas mileage, there is no doubt, but speaking in hyperbole is misleading and doesn't help anyone because it is not a real-world value. If you joined this forum expecting to never be challenged in making a claim, you came to the wrong place. My MPG over nearly 20,000 miles is 27.5, but the caveat even for me is that it is mostly freeway miles on road trips. In other words, even that overall figure is not accurate if you normally drive "in the city" where you will likely get way less than 20.

Fair assessment. I get about 18.5mpg combined in my C7. I was getting about 15.9mpg in my LS3 based Camaro with the same mix of driving. So, from my perspective the LT1 fuel tech advancement is good for about 2.6mpg with the type of driving I do.

I think most people are shocked at the mileage the C7 gets on the highway based but the average driver doesn’t realize how much weight and drag impact fuel economy. Once the corvette gets up to speed it just slips through the air compared to a huge Lincoln Navigator SUV. Add in overdrive gears with lots of torque and the engine barely needs to work on the highway.

falcon5619 09-26-2018 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader (Post 1598051756)

i hear you but an electric car is still much more efficient. A Tesla Model 3 driven a 1000 miles per month will only cost around $27 per month in electricity. The Corvette depending on highway vs city driving is going to require 40-50 gallons of premium to go a 1000 miles. That is like $150 in gas per month depending on what you pay for premium.

I am enjoying the Corvette while I can because once electric car prices get down to the same price as ICE based vehicles it will never be the same.

Patman 09-26-2018 07:44 AM

Only in your mind. It does show the potential of the car under ideal conditions.

PatternDayTrader 09-26-2018 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by ptalar (Post 1598051980)
We will be forced to eventually. We won't get a choice. The regulators and politicians have their own agenda and having fun driving a gasoline powered Corvette is not one of them. With that said the electric motors of the future have the potential to put the gasoline engines to shame. Electric motors put out instantaneous torque and are very powerful depending on what is providing the electricity. Instead of the rumble of the engine we will hear the whine of an electric motor. There will be hot rodders of the future who will upgrade their electric motors with upgraded magnets, trick armature windings, maybe even superconducting materials will be available as well as special capacitors to give you that extra boost when you are drag racing. Keep that in mind. While us old timers will miss the sound of a gas engine coming to life it will eventually be as quaint as the horse and buggy and steam engine.

While I tend to agree with you, I've been hearing that since the EV-1 in 1990.
I think the fatal flaw for electric is still range and charge time. Once those issues are sorted out, shows over for internal combustion.

dvilin 09-26-2018 08:34 AM

No idea what my mpg is but I do get get a lot of smiles and thumbs up per mile.

Mayor111 09-26-2018 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschuyler https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s/viewpost.gif
no reason to be a Debbie downer

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 1598052475)
Only in your mind. It does show the potential of the car under ideal conditions.

:iagree: I dont think this was an example of someone going downhill and bragging - this was a legitimate trip showing the potential performance of this amazing car under normal (easy) driving...no need to get all pissy about it mschuyler...geeezzz :chill: