CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-for-sale-wanted-58/)
-   -   looking for a '62 corvette project car (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-for-sale-wanted/4192396-looking-for-a-62-corvette-project-car.html)

MarkWilley 09-26-2018 12:14 AM

looking for a '62 corvette project car

hello everyone and anyone seeing this. My name is Mark I'm 19 and live in Ontario Canada. I can't put an exact age on it, maybe ever since i was 5 I've wanted a 1962 corvette convertible. i remember seeing one at a car show when i was young, and it was love at first sight. ever since i have been looking around the internet for one as a project car. I've seen some fully refurbished ones go for upwards of $70,000. needless to say that's a tad out of my budget. I'm looking for something with an ok body, and at least be able to drive without falling apart. this is a project that will cover the next couple years. my budget is anywhere between $4000 to $7500
if anyone has any information please contact me at markwilley16@yahoo.ca

Lee C 09-26-2018 12:16 AM

Sorry dude you are never going too find one for that price,were in Ontario?

Steve_R 09-26-2018 12:18 AM

Good luck. No way you’ll find one that runs and drives for that price.

919cw313 09-26-2018 12:50 AM

In that price range you're looking at driveable mid-late C3's or early C4's. 1962 in that price range? Maybe a parts car if you're lucky.

TCracingCA 09-26-2018 12:55 AM

Anyways— Trump should slap it with a big export tax!!!!! :D

Tuco 09-26-2018 12:56 AM

IN :lurk:

flange 09-26-2018 03:10 AM

https://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/d/196...697336733.html not exactly in your price range, but possibly the right car for a full restoration.

biggd 09-28-2018 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by MarkWilley (Post 1598051850)
hello everyone and anyone seeing this. My name is Mark I'm 19 and live in Ontario Canada. I can't put an exact age on it, maybe ever since i was 5 I've wanted a 1962 corvette convertible. i remember seeing one at a car show when i was young, and it was love at first sight. ever since i have been looking around the internet for one as a project car. I've seen some fully refurbished ones go for upwards of $70,000. needless to say that's a tad out of my budget. I'm looking for something with an ok body, and at least be able to drive without falling apart. this is a project that will cover the next couple years. my budget is anywhere between $4000 to $7500
if anyone has any information please contact me at markwilley16@yahoo.ca

And I want a 19 year old super model to be my best friend and companion. I don't think either one of us is ever going to get what we want but it's fun to dream.

Mastersfred 09-29-2018 08:45 PM

Mark, let me start by saying I think it is amazing that a 19yr old young man has taken interest in an early corvette. As to be expected there are quite a few smart a** replies that people have posted. I would encourage you to never let your dream of owning a 62 die. Might I suggest trying to buy a used c1 chassis and start the mechanicals. You can easily purchase a used frame/drivetrain in your current price range and be a step closer to that 62 you want so bad. I wish you the best of luck in finding your car and bringing some new young fresh blood to what at times can be a not so friendly place due to a few sticks in the mud that can’t see past there nose.

MarkWilley 09-29-2018 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lee C (Post 1598051859)
Sorry dude you are never going too find one for that price,were in Ontario?

im from a small town called orangeville. it's about 45 minutes from guelph, or an hour out of toronto. as for my budget i kind of figured it would be too low. i don't exactly have money pouring out my pockets, but i do have enough to stay comfortable, and im more than willing to buy this car part by part if i have to. guess i figured if i could get something in semi-decent condition i could finish restoring it quicker

MarkWilley 09-29-2018 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1598051862)
Good luck. No way you’ll find one that runs and drives for that price.

we all have our delusions, right? i kinda figured as much, but im just as willing to buy this car part by part

MarkWilley 09-29-2018 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by biggd (Post 1598065911)
And I want a 19 year old super model to be my best friend and companion. I don't think either one of us is ever going to get what we want but it's fun to dream.

we all have our delusions, right? im most likely gonna end up buying this thing part by part which im also happy with doing

MarkWilley 09-29-2018 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mastersfred (Post 1598075004)
Mark, let me start by saying I think it is amazing that a 19yr old young man has taken interest in an early corvette. As to be expected there are quite a few smart a** replies that people have posted. I would encourage you to never let your dream of owning a 62 die. Might I suggest trying to buy a used c1 chassis and start the mechanicals. You can easily purchase a used frame/drivetrain in your current price range and be a step closer to that 62 you want so bad. I wish you the best of luck in finding your car and bringing some new young fresh blood to what at times can be a not so friendly place due to a few sticks in the mud that can’t see past there nose.

thanks for the encouragement and advice, and believe it or not ive found someone just outside Toronto with an ok c1 chassis, its gonna need some serious work, but hey baby steps right

Rusty60 09-30-2018 05:30 PM

If you want to start piece by piece
there is a bare frame here in BC ON CRAIGSLIST
It’s in Canada and 2200 long ways from a car but it would be a start

persinally I say save for a few more years and get something a little more complete
good luck to you

DBanks 10-01-2018 09:31 AM

Hi Mark, don't let the internet distract you from what you want to achieve. It is easy to hide behind a computer and throw shade. As a younger gent in the hobby myself, I can tell you at times the world of Corvettes is not always the most friendly place. Stay focused on working hard, studying right and saving coin for the right project. Bottom line - you never know what is out there without hunting all leads and being tenacious in your approach. The older generation of enthusiasts are only getting older. Real cars are coming out of long term storage regularly. Network all leads. You'll end up seeing a dozen bogus cars that aren't described right just to find one that is but it maybe out of budget or requires too much work. You might want to consider getting in a clean, low mile, unmolested 1975-1982 Corvette for your first one. How about a nice C4? Regardless of the outcome, keep us posted.

Dan

Chummy85623 10-01-2018 10:38 AM

Building a C1 from individual parts might be possible and your alternative on that budget but in the end it will likely cost the equivalent of building a space shuttle

65specialk 10-01-2018 10:55 AM

62 project

This looks to be a fairly complete car to build. After restoring you would have much more into this car than to buy one done. There are driver cars selling on EBay for the same money or not much more than this project. If you could get it for $20 k and do all the work yourself it would be a good one to do. Dave

Originally Posted by flange (Post 1598052091)
https://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/d/196...697336733.html not exactly in your price range, but possibly the right car for a full restoration.

93RubyRedCoupe 10-01-2018 04:33 PM

Guys,
He's a new member, he's young and has an interest in Corvette's....C1's even....
We all complain about not seeing young people at Corvette shows, the average age of attendees being north of 50.....and we have a 19 year old who wants a 62 Vette and people bash on him? Jeez. A few responses were not something i would categorize as "encouraging younger participation" in our hobby.
Keep you eyes peeled, check papers (believe it or not i found my silver 67 in the local paper that was located 15 minutes from me so weirder things happen)
Your budget may be light, but in searching the hundreds of car you will look at online, you will learn a lot about Vettes. You will learn a lot about the market on matching numbers cars versus non matching numbers cars, etc...
Then when you're ready to pull the trigger on one it won't be the first one you've seen. Good luck, keep posting questions here and don't mind the comments from some of the members.
ARA

Rusty60 10-01-2018 04:48 PM

Your budget is on the low side for sure but to give you an idea this was a Canadian car (BC) that popped up a month ago for 10,000 Canadian it sold minutes after being posted
it looked incredibly rough but sometimes things do pop up

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...04293b414.jpeg

Micksnip 10-03-2018 01:33 AM

Keep hope

Hey, i just joined 5 minutes ago, and been lurching x 2 years. Short story is i bought a 61 2 years ago. 13, 240 verifiable miles. Tight. Former drag car. Custom paint from the 70s, 327/350, muncie, mags, new tires, air shocks. Rolled/pleated velour interior. Gr8 seller, gr8 car, and i got plenty of good advice from you all on wiring, carb, mallory, ballast resistor. Thank you! For our Canadian friend, look, ask around, pray, research. Dont get a pus case bigger than you can handle, or you will store or sell it out of frustration. Them is the cars to find.
i began love for 61/2 in 9th grade. Guy 4 yrs older than me bought a black 62 hardtop 340 hp, and put Cragar SS wheels on it and big tires, l60?, in rear on deep dishes. Black a mile deep. That was it. Settled on 04 SVT Cobra, found this, and selling Cobra. Love both, but cant justify 80k in fun cars. Vette stays. Lines belong in a museum. Eyes/ears open! From an analog grandpa living in a digital world.