CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Paint Brake Calipers (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4192438-paint-brake-calipers.html)

97Chuck69 09-26-2018 06:48 AM

Paint Brake Calipers

I want to paint my calipers but was wanting to know if any one else has done this. I was thinking of Engine Orange not only for the color but for the heat aspect. Would welcome any opinions.

DDaaryl 09-26-2018 07:18 AM

I have seen this done. It makes your car look special!

1bdvet 09-26-2018 07:49 AM

There is lot of paint out there just made for what you want done, just remember brake dust with make it look dirty so make color that won't show dirt.

Vetteman Jack 09-26-2018 10:04 AM

Orange would really make the calipers stand out. If you think that color will go well with the overall look of the car, go for it.

dinocajic 09-26-2018 10:38 AM

I've done it in red with caliper brush on paint. Stripped all of the oxidation/dirt off before starting to paint. You can find the details in my build thread. It's kind of scattered.

grantorino 09-26-2018 11:01 AM

I did mine in red. I used a product called ONE SHOT. It's a paint used by professional sign painters for outdoor signs. Does not fade, great one coat coverage and comes in half pint cans applied by brush so no masking. I simply cleaned the caliper with Brakleen then brushed it on. I bought 2 cans, but one can easily do 8 to 12 calipers.

dleibman 09-26-2018 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by 97Chuck69 (Post 1598052328)
I want to paint my calipers but was wanting to know if any one else has done this. I was thinking of Engine Orange not only for the color but for the heat aspect. Would welcome any opinions.

there are so many threads on this forum and on the net regarding this topic it will make your head spin, good luck on you project.

Route99 09-26-2018 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by 97Chuck69 (Post 1598052328)

Orange will be a little different from the standard red. Hope you'll post some pictures if you do this. :thumbs:

StocktonC7GS 09-26-2018 06:55 PM

I tried to paint my calipers over the weekend, but it was an epic failure. No matter how much I cleaned using various products, the paint would not take....just kept leaving open areas where the paint wouldn't stick.The caliper looked like it had leprosy! Let it sit for a while to see if a second coat would help but it just pulled of the first coat. I was using the product in the following pic....it's a brush on application. So after spending forever to get that crap off, I tried the aerosol spray can but had the same results so I just gave up. Has anyone else had a similar experience trying to pain theirs?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9d570fe948.jpg

mjfrank 09-26-2018 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by MantecaC5 (Post 1598056854)
I tried to paint my calipers over the weekend, but it was an epic failure. No matter how much I cleaned using various products, the paint would not take....just kept leaving open areas where the paint wouldn't stick.The caliper looked like it had leprosy! Let it sit for a while to see if a second coat would help but it just pulled of the first coat. I was using the product in the following pic....it's a brush on application. So after spending forever to get that crap off, I tried the aerosol spray can but had the same results so I just gave up. Has anyone else had a similar experience trying to pain theirs?

Just used the same kit you have there this weekend, and didn’t have any problem with the paint not sticking. It took about three coats with a sponge brush, over about 30 minutes. The instructions say all the coats should be done within an hour, or after five days of drying. As far as prep, I first used brake cleaner to clean up the calipers, scrubbed with a brush, another shot of brake cleaner, roughed it up with a scotchbrite pad, and a final rinse with brake cleaner and wipe down with a paper towel. I also used the spray version of that paint on the caliper brackets with good results. I’m waiting for it to cure before I flip the caliper to paint the area that I couldn’t reach, but here is an in progress pic.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...0fbaad14f.jpeg

chasboy 09-27-2018 12:18 AM

I used One Shot on mine as well. With all the humidity this summer it took awhile to dry properly but they look great.

pewter99 09-27-2018 12:36 AM

painted my first set....powder coating is worth it

forum vendor in St Pete does excellent work....Powertech Performance https://www.facebook.com/Powertech-P...3972269323599/

tons of pics

Martinez310 09-27-2018 12:51 AM

Yes, powder coating is the best way definitely worth it.. but if you want a "cheaper" solution buy some Dupli-Color Caliper paint. That is how I did my calipers. It was a fun project I even craved the corvette lettering to make it stand out :)

Grandpa1 09-27-2018 02:50 AM

I posted awhile back on painting my calipers on my 03 vert. Pictures and all. You can probably do a search and find it.
I did it without removing the calipers.
I just put the car on jack stands, cleaned the calipers with dawn soapy water, rinsed them with hot water. I let them dry over night.
The next day I masked the car around the wheel wells and the rotor where I did not want paint.
I had purchased a rattle can of red CALIPER paint at O'reillys for around 8 bucks.
I sprayed a light coat of paint on the calipers and let it sit for a couple of hours then resprayed them. I still have a half can of paint left. Doesn't take much paint at all.
I let it dry overnight then put some sandpaper on a short piece of a 2 X 4 and sanded the red paint off the Corvette raised letters on the calipers. The letters are flat and it real east to do this. That took all of 3 minutes to do that.
Cleaned all the masking off and put the wheels back on.
Job done and it sure looks good.
So far I can't see any brake dust or any of the paint coming off and I don't expect too either. It adhered really well.
Total cost around 15 bucks including the masking tape and plastic and about two hours actual working time but three days with all the drying time.
Easy peasy job.

chasboy 09-27-2018 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Grandpa1 (Post 1598058619)
I posted awhile back on painting my calipers on my 03 vert. Pictures and all. You can probably do a search and find it.
I just put the car on jack stands, cleaned the calipers with dawn soapy water, rinsed them with hot water. I let them dry over night.
The next day I masked the car around the wheel wells and the rotor where I did not want paint.
I had purchased a rattle can of red CALIPER paint at O'reillys for around 8 bucks.
I sprayed a light coat of paint on the calipers and let it sit for a couple of hours then resprayed them. I still have a half can of paint left. Doesn't take much paint at all.
I let it dry overnight then put some sandpaper on a short piece of a 2 X 4 and sanded the red paint off the Corvette raised letters on the calipers. The letters are flat and it real east to do this. That took all of 3 minutes to do that.
So far I can't see any brake dust or any of the paint coming off and I don't expect too either. It adhered really well.
Total cost around 15 bucks including the masking tape and plastic and about two hours actual working time but three days with all the drying time.
Easy peasy job.

Ditto. More time consuming than tedious. I used One-Shot pinstriping tape and due to our humidity it took a long time to dry, I painted with good quality artist brushes so I had no masking.

97Chuck69 09-27-2018 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Grandpa1 (Post 1598058619)
Easy peasy job.

Thanks guy and I appreciate all the info. I did say Orange, but not thinking I do not thing it would go good with a Torch Red car so I will get red. AND to all I appreciate all info from everyone.

JR Jackson 09-29-2018 09:39 AM

Heyspike 09-29-2018 02:12 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1f03c8b512.jpg
Did mine Orange, there's a write up under my name somewhere.

grampi50 09-29-2018 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by grantorino (Post 1598053527)
I did mine in red. I used a product called ONE SHOT. It's a paint used by professional sign painters for outdoor signs. Does not fade, great one coat coverage and comes in half pint cans applied by brush so no masking. I simply cleaned the caliper with Brakleen then brushed it on. I bought 2 cans, but one can easily do 8 to 12 calipers.

Is it available in torch red, or a color that looks like torch red?

chasboy 09-29-2018 07:39 PM

HEYSPIKE! good to see you!!! I get lots of complements on my custom carpets thanks to you!!
One Shot is available in a rainbow of colors. Just google it. I did my brakes in their lemon yellow.