CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   should I buy C5 or a C4? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4194477-should-i-buy-c5-or-a-c4.html)

chasboy 10-02-2018 11:07 AM

:thumbs: I drove an ‘84 in ‘86 and had the same impression. If buying a c4, I would suggest very late in the model run.

sstonebreaker 10-02-2018 11:10 AM

If I were going to buy a C4, I'd look for a mid-nineties example with a blown engine. Then I'd replace the LT1 with a built gen-1 smallblock.

H. I. McDunough 10-02-2018 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by ls777z (Post 1598087057)
I'm guessing that if you had posted this question in the C4 section you would be getting a different result. Judging by your description a "pretty C4".....don't want to get it dirty, gotta keep mileage low or I'll lose $$$, etc ...or... a " much driven" C5...damn the mud puddles !! , I bet I can get at least 4 bags of mulch in the back., etc. It all comes down to how you are going to use/drive it.

Yes, I am sure the results are heavily skewed towards the C5 since it was posted here. I may post same topic in the C4 forum. & yeah, the c4 i'm looking at is just too pretty. However it has been very well maintained, & should be mechanically reliable. Thanks.

IMXCITD 10-02-2018 11:37 AM

I would recommend the C5 for many reasons.....mainly it is totally different vette than the C4 and does many things better. I am in no way bashing a C4...I owned 4 different C4's and enjoyed them all....but the C5 is alot of fun and very efficient. It responds well to mods. I would expand your search and try to drive a C5 Z06. If looking at the C4 the 91 is not a bad way to go as you get the L98 (no opti) and yet get the newer bodystyle. Either way.....get the vette that you will enjoy.

yetman 10-02-2018 12:01 PM

The C5 in my opinion.

I went through the same search as you are just a few months ago. I have owned C3's, C4's, C5's and one C7. I can tell you that I liked the styling of the C5 the best. I was looking for something $20k an under, low mileage and in the best condition I could find for the money. I found several C4s I looked at. All very nice but they are more challenging to get in and parts are harder to find should something fail ... and it will. I looked at a pristine C3 .... from 81. It too, was excellent. It was an automatic though, and I really wanted a manual car. I looked at several C5's ... a lot of 'garage queens' out there for sale. I narrowed it down to getting a C5 and then narrowed it to an FRC. I found 4 in my area (within 200 miles). All low mileage at <40k miles.

I ended up going with a red FRC, with 25k miles. Borla exhaust was the only modification. Its in excellent condition, paint and interior is outstanding ... and I still had 4k to play with after the purchase. So I am adding ZR1 style wheels, Hurst short-throw, new TPMS sensors all around and new nitto tires all around.

The C5 is by far, the better of the two. Easier to get in, smooth ride, comfortable, great gas mileage, plenty of power and fun to drive.

Happy hunting!

YetMan

STALION 10-02-2018 12:51 PM

Come to Canada and buy my friends C4. Lingenfelter motor and tranny, custom pistons, etc...430hp, and almost 500tq on pump gas. Just rebuilt over the winter. :)

leadfoot4 10-02-2018 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker (Post 1598087663)
I'd skip the C4 just because of the LT1 engine. I had a 96 impala ss and the LT1 distributor is a pain in the butt - seems like I was replacing it every year or two. And good luck finding parts for it - aftermarket optisparks are all rebuilt GM units since the aftermarket doesn't have the technology to built the optical sensor in the distributor. I've owned two C5's and the LS engine is head and shoulders better in every way than the LT1. It's lighter, makes more power, plenty of parts are available, and there's tons of aftermarket support.

The sensor that you're referring to, is actually a Mitsubishi Electronics part. Sadly, it was discontinued quite some time ago, but THAT part by itself is the key to a good performing Opti-Spark, vs. a bad performing one. I has a '96 Z/28 for close to 20 years, and all I ever replaced on it's Opti, was the cap and rotor.

jpm995 10-02-2018 01:11 PM

To me the c4 has that distinctive 80's sport car look, and seems outdated. The c5 looks timeless, without knowing when it was built i would have trouble guessing what era it's from. By most accounts it's much more bug free. The c5 makes more sense but go with the car that appeals to YOU more, You don't want to be second guessing yourself later.

jackthelad 10-02-2018 01:21 PM

The very last C4's with a 330 hp LT4 were pretty good. Still had the dash panel that washed out in sunlight tho'. But the C5 was a step up in so many areas, interior, chassis rigidity (a "first" for Corvette, no more "flexible flyer"), etc., though the performance difference came down to 0.5 sec in the 1/4 mile. Oh, and the EPA ratings are noticeably better for the C5. The only thing the older car has going for it IMO is that is has less electronics to go wrong. And of course it does not have a fat a$$.......

jackthelad 10-02-2018 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by rotarydad (Post 1598087541)
My opinion, the C5 is the most beautiful Corvette ever made. The design never gets old. We get looks whenever we are out for a cruise. Again, my opinion, the C4 looks "dated". Too many "squares/rectangles" in the design. The C5 is curvy and sleek.

Agreed. That's why I don't like the look of the C7. Too many angles and "overdone" styling.

C5Dobie 10-02-2018 01:35 PM

Only C4 worth even looking at IMO would be a ZR1 or a Grand Sport & I wouldn't look at ANY older than the 1990 model year.

The C5 has a "just right" feel to it compared to both the C4 & C6 - I actually think this isn't even a "debate" - if you can get a C5 '01+ in your budget then do it, period. They're extremely reliable/robust from a nuts/bolts mechanical/drivetrain standpoint - however they do have their fair share of electrical issues & some fit & finish shortcomings - but either of those issues will be much more significant in a C4.

There's a massive aftermarket support for parts/mods etc. w/ the C5. The design aesthetically is spot-on & timeless....anyone can notice the jump from C4 to C5 is HUGE, the C5 to C6 evolution was more of an update than an entirely different vehicle from the ground up (unless we are talking C6Z & ZR1 where you start getting into the AL frame etc.) My other point w/ that is - sit in & drive a C5 & a C6 back to back - if they are similar options wise its not a dramatic difference from one seat to another - the interiors are similar, driving position & seat similar, the ride & handling very familiar, from a distance w/o my contacts in I can't tell the difference between the 2 from the outside either. You get a C4 man, its just DATED & while it may be 80's retro-chic, the body style just isn't aging very well.

C5 4me 10-02-2018 01:39 PM

Here is my 0.02 cents,Get the later C5. Its money well spent! I just sold my 94 C4 2 months ago,the body flexing with the roof off was crazy. not all C4 flex as bad as mine I hope.FYI,The C4 you have to unbolt the targa to get the roof off & the C5 you just have to unlatch it.:yesnod:

Rlb2002vette 10-02-2018 02:05 PM

I've owned one C4 and 2 C5's. I'm 6' 4" tall and weighs about 280. The C5 has Wayyyy more interior room and is way easier to get in/out. The C5 are way more fun to drive and mod. My vote C5

mikeam 10-02-2018 02:44 PM

C5. I owned a 93 40th Anniv.for 7 years. I did not have any issues with it except when I took the targa top off for running hard in the Shenandoah mountains back roads in NC. The C4 frame was not as rigid as the C5 and would flex in sharp corner runs. Traded it in for a new 2000 Vert. No problems with the C5 in the corners, very stable. Still have it after 19 years.

chasboy 10-02-2018 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by yetman (Post 1598088763)
The C5 in my opinion.

I went through the same search as you are just a few months ago. I have owned C3's, C4's, C5's and one C7. I can tell you that I liked the styling of the C5 the best. I was looking for something $20k an under, low mileage and in the best condition I could find for the money. I found several C4s I looked at. All very nice but they are more challenging to get in and parts are harder to find should something fail ... and it will. I looked at a pristine C3 .... from 81. It too, was excellent. It was an automatic though, and I really wanted a manual car. I looked at several C5's ... a lot of 'garage queens' out there for sale. I narrowed it down to getting a C5 and then narrowed it to an FRC. I found 4 in my area (within 200 miles). All low mileage at <40k miles.
I ended up going with a red FRC, with 25k miles. Borla exhaust was the only modification. Its in excellent condition, paint and interior is outstanding ... and I still had 4k to play with after the purchase. So I am adding ZR1 style wheels, Hurst short-throw, new TPMS sensors all around and new nitto tires all around.
The C5 is by far, the better of the two. Easier to get in, smooth ride, comfortable, great gas mileage, plenty of power and fun to drive.Happy hunting!
YetMan

I find your post here very informative. When I got my senses back (I sold the Z and got an SRT8) and sought another Corvette I made a few decisions at that time, some good, some not-but then turned out good. (I’ll explain). I knew I wanted more modern amenities, did not want something so old/or needing-rebuilding-to-make-it-a-daily-driver, or something over $18000. Yet I still wanted the “best’ car I could find. I decided I couldn’t afford a C6, (possible mistake) and figured I could get a pretty good C4 or C5 for that money. I drove 2 C4’s, a ‘93 rattletrap being sold by a mechanic who took it in on barter, and a pristine ‘91. The 91 rode like a rock and the rattletrap, with all of it’s problems was more fun. Not convinced that a C4 was the way to go, I learned a fellow club member was selling a Mag Red C5 with 135k on it. As soon as I drove it I knew I was ‘home’, even with the rear axle bearing protesting, I knew. Completely blew the doors off the c4’s. Tho’ I did consider that car, the mileage was too much for me, and I searched and found my current pewter coupe, which I love and is going nowhere. Now, for the c6 ‘addendum’. Recently a good friend had me drive his ‘10 Gran Sport. Very nice, and I fell in love with his MGW shifter. Not the car mind you, the shifter. That drive convinced me to stay right where I am, in a c5. I no longer have the “OMG I can’t drive that newer car because I might like it and if I do I’ll have to be sad or sell my car and get a newer one I can’t afford” syndrome.
Which brings me to my second point, and I don’t want to overstep my bounds, but you mentioned a Hurst short throw. After that C6 drive I gleefully bought an MGW and love it. I inquired among all who could serve as a source of advice for choice of shifter, and I know everyone is different, but I heard lots of complaints about the Hurst, particularly noise. I did a quick look for the Hurst for the c5 and came up with approx. $300. I paid $345 for my MGW. It makes no noise. In fact the interior is noticeably quieter at all speeds. The return to center force is so easy it surprises me sometimes. Effort <could> be high, but since I use a 4” long bar type shifter I have leverage whenever I need it. Shifts are so fast my feet are still catching up.
Good luck on what you choose, I’m a big proponent of sharing good stuff I’ve found. Probably the old shop teacher in me.

Route99 10-02-2018 03:03 PM

Although we really enjoy our C5 we also enjoyed our C4s. As with almost any vehicle (or any product), they usually improve with age. We put over 200,000 miles on one of the C4s and had very minimal issues. (Starter, fuel pump, HVAC blower motor, and master brake cylinder were all I remember other than the usual batteries, plugs, wires).
We also made trips as far as 2,000 miles and, for us at least, didn't find the cockpit uncomfortable. However, we are a little shorter than many of the members here so perhaps that contributed to that.
If you went with the '91 you would not have OptiSpark so it would not be an issue. If you end up with OptiSpark, MSD had a billet replacement housing years ago that seemed to help with issues that some people had. Vette Magazine did a test on the MSD replacement and spoke very highly of it.
Along the lines of jpm955, you have to buy the car and the generation that is right for you. I would really encourage you to try and drive both the cars you're interested in and decide for yourself. Otherwise, you will wonder whether the other side of the fence was better.
Good luck as you explore the C4s and C5s and hope you get to post a picture of your new Corvette here soon! :thumbs:

dbgoodwin 10-02-2018 04:33 PM

Just test drive them both if they mechanically check out. The c5 is way better in all categories besides price, but the c4 has some quirks that many people love. I test drove one, and greatly enjoyed it even over a c6 base. I would love to have an LS swapped c4 one day.

Black03vert 10-02-2018 09:40 PM

C5

Get a 2001-2004 C5, you will be much happier if you do.

Ron Sjostrom 10-02-2018 09:51 PM

Just bought our first Corvette Convertible. 1995 with 28,900 miles for $12,900. Very happy, we ride Harley's so it reminds me very much of outdoor smells, sunny, road bumps, only much lower to the ground.

alcoed 10-03-2018 04:55 AM

agreed

Originally Posted by rotarydad (Post 1598087541)
My opinion, the C5 is the most beautiful Corvette ever made. The design never gets old. We get looks whenever we are out for a cruise. Again, my opinion, the C4 looks "dated". Too many "squares/rectangles" in the design. The C5 is curvy and sleek.

you are so right