CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Engine Mods (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/engine-mods-7/)
-   -   88 C4 startup aftr 5 years. Cleanout lines or not (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/engine-mods/4195144-88-c4-startup-aftr-5-years-cleanout-lines-or-not.html)

gt350 and c4 10-03-2018 06:14 PM

88 C4 startup aftr 5 years. Cleanout lines or not

I had left a couple gallons gas in the 88 C4 fuel tank 7 yrs ago . I probed with a 12 ga rubber coated electrical cable & it only picked up small streaks of a gas residue like a light veg oil on the cable. Is there any significant risk in putting fresh gas in the tank and starting it up. I suspect itll sputter for a few cranks,but Im not familiar with vehicles with fuel injection and what ever else that could get screwed up. Id think the fiel filters will get stopped and protect the injectors.? Is it likely to jack my new cats up? Anyone knowledgable in that area?

gt350 and c4 10-05-2018 06:15 PM

Ok I added a gallon of fuel to the tank and now Id like to empty it.
These look like my only 2 choices since I want to clean out as much of the lines of old fuel as possible.
1-disconnect the fuel filter near my front rt fender and let it drain out? Turn on the key and let the elect fuel pump pump it out?

2- remove the rear deck inner panels that enclose the gas tank filler neck .then lift out the assy( guage float,filter sock and fuel pump ? That should leave me a big enough opening to see and siphon any remaining fuel .

3-Whats the best way to evacuate the old fuel that remains in the line from the filter to the injectors?

4-Would adding injector cleaner eg (seafoam) possibly help,or does it only disolve particles over the long haul rather than a short time as in my situation? Anything else to add? Do?

gt350 and c4 10-10-2018 12:47 PM

Well since Im new to these kind of issues and I havent received any responses to my posts,let me modify the question a little.

Ive been wondering if there is a "product" I can pour in my tank and in the fuel lines that will actually disolve any crud/particles etc remaining from gas I left in my tank for 5 years. To reduce the risk of old gas residue fouling my injectors,Ive decided to only clean the fuel lines and the tank.

I spoke with a Napa store about a solvent that will disolve old gas residues.He said acetone will work.
I wonder if it is bad for rubber or other components it may contact.?
Does anyone know ? Please Indicate if you know from experience too.

At this point,here is my ever evolving plan:
1-Pour enough acetone in the tank to be picked up by the fuel pump. let that sit and disolve stuff while I move on to the fuel lines.
How much acetone?1g 2g? Anyone know ?.
BTW my tank doesnt appear to have any measurable amount of fuel in it,only residue is a diesel like film I picked up when I snaked a 12 ga rubber coated cable into the tank. The siphon hose couldnt be directed as easily about the tank as the 12 ga .
2- remove the fuel filter and also the fuel lines as close to the fuel rail as I can get . (This will leave me with 2 fuel line segments to clean out individually.)
Blow out each of the fuel line sections with a compressor,then add acetone to the line and let sit awhile,> gravity drain ,>followed by the final compressed air blowout.
Can anyone add to this? Corrections etc?

gt350 and c4 10-22-2018 06:26 PM

I finally got around to cleaning the tank out by hand / and a bath towel instead of removing the tank to clean it. My pump looked old and missing rubber and the sock,so Ill start looking for 1. all the pieces needed to mount onto the aluminum pump structure or to buy a completely assembled one. Anyone know off hand of good reliable places? Napa,Rock Auto or even the nationwide parts places like Auto Zone etc?

Kevova 10-24-2018 10:54 PM

If the sender is heavily rusted I would look for assembly if possible. Rock auto is pretty good, but buying local can save hassles if something isn't right between what you order and what you get. AC Delco dealer maybe local.

cv67 10-25-2018 11:49 AM

You can disconnect the lines that run into the front of the intake, turn the key to "on" and pump the old fuel out. FIll with fresh and turn the key.

gt350 and c4 10-28-2018 05:41 PM

Im not getting anything at the pump. From what Ive read on the internet the likely causes ar the relay and the fuse. Sound about right? Ill just go buy a new relay anyhow. If those arent the reason,then its the pump?

Kevova 10-28-2018 05:50 PM

Maybe. I would invest in factory service manuals. eBay is a good place to look.

gt350 and c4 10-28-2018 05:52 PM

oh yeah,thats the easy way sometimes. The hardest part is doing it,or remembering to do it. Thx