CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 Battery Replacement (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4195501-c7-battery-replacement.html)

LIE2ME 10-04-2018 06:19 PM

C7 Battery Replacement

I am getting ready to replace the battery in my C7 convertible. I have located the battery in the trunk and see that the positive side has a plastic cover that when I remove, has a bottom plate with several (4) smaller wires attached. If I remove the positive battery clamp, will this whole plate lift up and off? It sure is a whole lot more complex then on my other cars. Also, the vent hose looks like it is tucked in there pretty tight. Is it a bear to remove and plug back in? I am feeling a little intimidated here. I have replaced my own car batteries for over forty years, but have not run into a set-up quite like this...

jcrooker 10-04-2018 06:41 PM

Take it to the dealer. May be cheaper in the long run if something should go wrong.

rmorin1249 10-04-2018 06:57 PM

Anyone have the dealer install one of the 42 month ACDelco Gold batteries? What was the total cost?

BELVIN20 10-04-2018 07:09 PM

Here is a link with info for battery change out. It is a tough job in the Vert, as I have done it on my 2016 Z. In GM's bid to save money on the car, they installed the battery with no handle, so it is a bear to get out of a Vert. Follow the information in the attached link, take a deep breath & go slow, it will be frustrating, Doing a Vert is much harder that a coupe due to the space in the Vert. If the battery just had a handle, it would have been much easier.

See Link: http://netwelding.com/Battery_Issues.pdf

ahero4eternity 10-04-2018 07:59 PM

Had my battery replaced at the dealer today. Just got my car 6 weeks ago. Now I can have peace of mind for the next 3ish years of ownership. $265 well spent, IMO.

ahero4eternity 10-04-2018 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by rmorin1249 (Post 1598103262)
Anyone have the dealer install one of the 42 month ACDelco Gold batteries? What was the total cost?

Had a ACDelco Gold installed in mine today. $265. They said the 30 month (Silver?) was only $20 cheaper. It was a no brainer.

roadbike56 10-04-2018 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by LIE2ME (Post 1598103104)
I am getting ready to replace the battery in my C7 convertible. I have located the battery in the trunk and see that the positive side has a plastic cover that when I remove, has a bottom plate with several (4) smaller wires attached. If I remove the positive battery clamp, will this whole plate lift up and off? It sure is a whole lot more complex then on my other cars. Also, the vent hose looks like it is tucked in there pretty tight. Is it a bear to remove and plug back in? I am feeling a little intimidated here. I have replaced my own car batteries for over forty years, but have not run into a set-up quite like this...

Same here. I've replaced my own batteries for many years. But the newer cars are different. To begin with, even if you do the job, did you plug in a power source to keep the computers powered up? Most dealers do that. Then there's the block on top of the battery. I decided for the few extra dollars I'd like the peace of mind that the computers were maintained with power and someone who knows how to do it mad the change. My 2014 Lexus battery is on borrowed time. I'll probably have a garage change that one as well.
I did our 2009 Lexus this year and had to reprogram the windows, the power roof and the radio. No big deal but the newer the car, the more computers are involved. That's why it's more important to change the battery correctly and before it fails than in the past.

Zymurgy 10-04-2018 09:53 PM

I changed my C7 battery myself. It was disconnected for an hour, no power source to "keep the computers powered up".. All personalizations were maintained. Even the windows did not need to be re-indexed. The only hard part is pulling the battery out of the cubby hole as there is no room to get your hands in there to grab it. BTW, I paid $145 for the AC Delco Gold 42 month at my local dealer.

ahero4eternity 10-04-2018 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Zymurgy (Post 1598104219)
I changed my C7 battery myself. It was disconnected for an hour, no power source to "keep the computers powered up".. All personalizations were maintained. Even the windows did not need to be re-indexed. The only hard part is pulling the battery out of the cubby hole as there is no room to get your hands in there to grab it. BTW, I paid $145 for the AC Delco Gold 42 month at my local dealer.

So I paid about an hour's worth of labor. Sounds about right.

eboggs_jkvl 10-04-2018 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by roadbike56 (Post 1598103800)
Same here. I've replaced my own batteries for many years. But the newer cars are different. To begin with, even if you do the job, did you plug in a power source to keep the computers powered up? Most dealers do that. Then there's the block on top of the battery. I decided for the few extra dollars I'd like the peace of mind that the computers were maintained with power and someone who knows how to do it mad the change. My 2014 Lexus battery is on borrowed time. I'll probably have a garage change that one as well.
I did our 2009 Lexus this year and had to reprogram the windows, the power roof and the radio. No big deal but the newer the car, the more computers are involved. That's why it's more important to change the battery correctly and before it fails than in the past.

The only thing you'll need to do if you remove the battery is to reindex the windows as everything else is retained.

Elmer

JerryU 10-04-2018 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by BELVIN20 (Post 1598103312)
Here is a link with info for battery change out. It is a tough job in the Vert, as I have done it on my 2016 Z. In GM's bid to save money on the car, they installed the battery with no handle, so it is a bear to get out of a Vert. Follow the information in the attached link, take a deep breath & go slow, it will be frustrating, Doing a Vert is much harder that a coupe due to the space in the Vert. If the battery just had a handle, it would have been much easier.

See Link: http://netwelding.com/Battery_Issues.pdf

Thanks for posting the link from 2 years ago when I changed mine! It shows a few tricks like a way to avoid ripping the unbound carpet from under the right side plastic wheel well cover. Reports of dealer tech ripping and if you ever need AAA to jump start they surly will! Everyone should learn to gain access to the battery even if you don’t want to DIY.

I bought a higher capacity AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery that fit for ~$150. Still see them at that price at Autozone and Advanced Auto. 20% more cold cracking capacity than standard battery and they last longer.

There is a trick to getting the power board off the positive terminal and my PDF shows a pic. Love the 4 volume service manual that simply says, “remove power board” with no indication of how. Not hard but not obvious! After that it is straight forward but you’ll need a tool to lift it out of the hole. I bought a $5 strap that connects to the battery posts. One poster used two large vice grips on the posts! In either case only lift it out of the hole and place on the floor then use two hands to lift it out of the car just in case whatever tool being used slips. The AGM replacements I have seen come with handles. Agree the OEM should have! But they put in the least expensive and IMO an AGM is worth the extra cost. Note an Optima, which is a AGM battery, won’t fit as it must have the correct top shap to hold the power board. Just be sure whatever you buy says it fits a C7.

Note, lost no memory with the battery out of the car over 30 minutes. All radio presets etc worked. I did have to index the passenger window but that proceedure is simple and in the Owner’s Manual. Funny driver’s door was fine.

BB767 10-05-2018 12:51 AM

I'm curious if one of those 9V devises you could pug into a cigarette lighter socket to maintain computer memories with the battery disconnected would work on our Corvettes? Would plugging it into the 12V power port on the console work to prevent any computer memory loss? They worked great on all my older cars.

Thomas

owc6 10-05-2018 12:55 AM

When I replaced mine, I did not lose anything.

I re-indexed the windows, NO BIG DEAL! Three seconds, Relax, people. sheesh.

dino333 10-05-2018 01:09 AM

I had a AC Delco Gold battery installed a couple of months ago.$265.00 2015 Stingray.

eboggs_jkvl 10-05-2018 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by BB767 (Post 1598104905)
I'm curious if one of those 9V devises you could pug into a cigarette lighter socket to maintain computer memories with the battery disconnected would work on our Corvettes? Would plugging it into the 12V power port on the console work to prevent any computer memory loss? They worked great on all my older cars.

https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-300.../dp/B000GKD5Q0

Thomas

THomas!

Save your money. Change the battery and re-index your windows. Re-indexing is easy, quick, and simple. You WILL NOT LOSE ANY SETTINGS. http://www.ls2.com/forums/images/smi...econfirmed.gifhttp://www.ls2.com/forums/images/smi...econfirmed.gif

Elmer

HorsePower Junkie 10-05-2018 11:34 AM

Anyone have pics?

rmorin1249 10-05-2018 12:25 PM

My dealer quoted me $142 for the ACDelco Professional 42 month battery. They want $77 labor to install. I'll do it myself in the parking lot using the netwelding instructions as posted on this forum.

Pisswilly 10-05-2018 12:43 PM

Anybody got info on removing right side wheel wheel well cover so you don’t damage carpet?

rmorin1249 10-05-2018 12:46 PM

Pretty sure you just give it a big jerk to release the clips. I think just releasing the bottom one is sufficient.

Bill Dearborn 10-05-2018 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by rmorin1249 (Post 1598106910)
Pretty sure you just give it a big jerk to release the clips. I think just releasing the bottom one is sufficient.

Be careful if you give it a hard jerk. The clips on the rear of the panel break off easily.

Bill