CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Remember 15 years ago when it seemed everyone’s dream car here was a ‘99 c5 FRC ..why (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4196001-remember-15-years-ago-when-it-seemed-everyoneis-dream-car-here-was-a-e99-c5-frc-why.html)

dizwiz24 10-06-2018 05:28 AM

Remember 15 years ago when it seemed everyone’s dream car here was a ‘99 c5 FRC ..why

I remember back 15 years ago on here when it seemed everyones dreamcar here was a ‘99 c5 FRC - fixed roof coupe.

why? Was it bc people were tired of looseness and shake on the c4 - yet didnt want to pay c5 z06 prices.

Barrier 10-06-2018 06:43 AM

'99 frc

I owned one after I sold my '86 Coupe.I loved it! Looked great, Pewter w Black Interior.
First I removed the run flats and bought a GTO spare and Mercedes jack.
Great engine, Transmission shifted great, rode smooth and secure. Loved the lack of rattles, Trunk, ease of entry.
Then the electric problems started. First the constant low fuel light. GM cure add Techtron and use Tier 1 fuel. After that warning lights for Stability and Handling Control on and on. I would return to the Dealer since it was under Warranty. They would diagnose, order parts keep it for two weeks, repair and same issues. I brought it to an Independent well respected shop. They were also unable to repair it.
After two years I just gave up and sold the car.
I bought my 1993 Convertible with 32k miles a few years later and love the C4 once again. Not forever but works well for me now.
Barrier

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 (Post 1598110756)
I remember back 15 years ago on here when it seemed everyones dreamcar here was a ‘99 c5 FRC - fixed roof coupe.

why? Was it bc people were tired of looseness and shake on the c4 - yet didnt want to pay c5 z06 prices.

RIC96 10-06-2018 08:01 AM

Never cared for the FRC.

QCVette 10-06-2018 10:14 AM

I had one. I liked it a lot.

It drove good, good power, good handling, good trunk space with easy access, etc. In short it was a very good car. I upgraded mine with a few minor things, like a blackwing air intake, Borla exhaust, C6 Z51 sway bars with end links, etc and it was even better.

I had a few problems that are common to C5's also. I had to put in a column lock bypass and had to replace a failed harmonic balancer at only 30k miles.

Overall, it was one of the nicer cars I have had. Although I liked it, I prefer the hatchback for more storage and a removable top even though I like the looks of the FRC better. With mods my current C5 is faster and handles better than my FRC did while still having the hatchback options.

However, I got an offer I couldn't refuse and sold the FRC for about 35% profit over what I had in it.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ee1961aa8f.jpg

dizwiz24 10-06-2018 02:16 PM

What was the appeal of it vs a c5 z06 ?

Price? Get a used one cheaper than a z06 c5 which first came out in 01?

im sure it handled tight and was a pleasant change over squeaks and rattles.
Btw: it is amazing how many pages in the 93’s FSM are devoted to fixing squeaks/rattles.

dizwiz24 10-06-2018 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by QCVette (Post 1598111490)
I had one. I liked it a lot.

It drove good, good power, good handling, good trunk space with easy access, etc. In short it was a very good car. I upgraded mine with a few minor things, like a blackwing air intake, Borla exhaust, C6 Z51 sway bars with end links, etc and it was even better.

I had a few problems that are common to C5's also. I had to put in a column lock bypass and had to replace a failed harmonic balancer at only 30k miles.

Overall, it was one of the nicer cars I have had. Although I liked it, I prefer the hatchback for more storage and a removable top even though I like the looks of the FRC better. With mods my current C5 is faster and handles better than my FRC did while still having the hatchback options.

However, I got an offer I couldn't refuse and sold the FRC for about 35% profit over what I had in it.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ee1961aa8f.jpg

i forgot about the column lock debacle - what a mess !

didnt that affect more GM cars of that era than just c5?

Tom400CFI 10-06-2018 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 (Post 1598112602)
What was the appeal of it vs a c5 z06 ?

Price?

That would be the only reason. Other than price, the Z06 is the same car with 50 more hp, slightly less weight, and possibly better handling. The FRC was never a dream of mine. To me, it was a "cheap C5"...which the C5 was already a cheap car, IMO.

QCVette 10-06-2018 11:08 PM

For me the appeal over a Z06 was partly price and the advantages of the Z06 can be made to the FRC relatively cheap.

It is easy to upgrade the suspension and add more power to above the stock Z06 levels. I like the Z06 wheels better, but I put them on my FRC (actually I tried Z06, polished Z06, polished thinspokes, painted '97-'99, magnesium, and even a couple C4 wheels from '90, and CE spokes).

I also like the cleaner look without the rear brake vents. On the street they offer no (or minimal) effect anyway.

I also like the different gear ratios in the 6 speed. The 6th gear is 0.5 on the FRC/hatchback/convertible and 0.56 on the Z06. I use mine for a lot of highway drives and I like the lower rpm and better gas mileage. The other ratios are lower on the Z06 such as 1st gear 2.66 vs 2.97 for the Z06. I would have preferred the other gears to be the Z06 ratios, but I never felt like the FRC ratios were too tall for good performance.

So I liked my FRC. I would like a Z06 too. For me the FRC was a good combination of the right platform, looks, performance, upgradeability and price at the time.

ghoastrider1 10-07-2018 06:34 PM

all Z 06 cars were FRC cars. NOT all FRC cars were Z-06s, I like the look of the FRC and besides, they made a whole lot less of them than the other models.

FAUEE 10-08-2018 03:30 PM

Nope. I never wanted an FRC. They were the cheap C5, and ugly. The z06 took that and put a better engine in it to make it a bit less bad.

65Z01 10-08-2018 05:57 PM

I don't understand all the flap about "squeaks & rattles". You guys must drive on crap roads.

I adjust the clam hold-downs so it doesn't shake over bumps, really makes her much more "solid".

FAUEE 10-08-2018 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by 65Z01 (Post 1598124540)
I don't understand all the flap about "squeaks & rattles". You guys must drive on crap roads.

I adjust the clam hold-downs so it doesn't shake over bumps, really makes her much more "solid".

We are in the "everything sucks" phase of carlifecycles. People are buying the worst examples to save money, then complaining about how much they suck while never recognizing it was because they bought a crappy example.

It gets better from here. Those cars work their way out over the years and things get better, those people will move onto C5s and talk about how shitty those cars are..

dizwiz24 10-08-2018 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by 65Z01 (Post 1598124540)

the hood wAs the worst source of squeak on my 93.

It already had the felt installed at contact points in the cowl.

Anyways, I had to tighten it down to make the hood tighter against the coWl.

still hear an occasional squeak on cold days

93Polo 10-09-2018 10:56 AM

I wanted a FRC, they are the best looking and lightest of the C5s.

Owned my '00 for a few years before buying a house, drove it daily for much of the ownership in all conditions (dry, wet, even snow and ice). The only issues were a torque tube going bad which I updated to the '01+ larger design, power window motors going bad (based on the sand the prior owner in Florida spent a lot of time at the beach) or were related to the power and abuse I put it through. 2 owners later the car is going stronger. The new power window motors never had a problem.

I updated the shocks, springs, and sway bars to '04Z pieces, and did heads and cam to it. It had more power the same handling with better transmission ratios all for less than a used C5Z at the time. I did switch to a C5Z M12 transmission and then went back to the base C5 M6.

I own a C5Z today. I prefer the parts availability of the 01+ electronics and the car fell in my lap basically HPDE prepped.

Rattles in my '93 were no worse than an exGF's '97 targa.

Bruce_in_MN 10-31-2018 09:59 PM

2000 frc

Hello--I am once again able to access this site--glad to be back! I somehow got locked out, and have been so since 2012.

I recently bought a 2000 FRC model. I am unsure about a few things on the car, as far as differences from the other models, and also some items that may not be stock.

1) Do the FRC seats have different upholstery and seat controls (less) than the other 2000 models?
2) The FRC does not have inside climate control or outside temperature reading, unlike the other models--correct?
3) The exhaust is quite loud, thinking it is an aftermarket. Sound right? Or did FRCs come with a louder exhaust?
4) I have some screens in the lower front vent areas--is that stock?
5) The "vents" behind the front wheels are open. Are they supposed to be, as in no covers?
6) Another difference is no ride control settings.
7) And of course the 6-speed and suspension differences. Any that I have missed?

I know I read the FRC was stripped, so was wondering what I don't have compared to the others.

I have to learn to drive all over again, as I have not driven a manual shift since 1988--a 5-speed in a Mazda RX-7. I have driven 3-4-5 speeds, but never a 6-speed before. I know it sounds bad, but it is going to take a while to learn to drive it well.

I do like the style of FRC and that is the reason why I bought it. I know it is a subjective thing. Also, having a rare car seems appealing.

I would appreciate any feedback that is given.

Thanks!

93Polo 10-31-2018 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce_in_MN (Post 1598257536)
Hello--I am once again able to access this site--glad to be back! I somehow got locked out, and have been so since 2012.

I recently bought a 2000 FRC model. I am unsure about a few things on the car, as far as differences from the other models, and also some items that may not be stock.

1) Do the FRC seats have different upholstery and seat controls (less) than the other 2000 models?
2) The FRC does not have inside climate control or outside temperature reading, unlike the other models--correct?
3) The exhaust is quite loud, thinking it is an aftermarket. Sound right? Or did FRCs come with a louder exhaust?
4) I have some screens in the lower front vent areas--is that stock?
5) The "vents" behind the front wheels are open. Are they supposed to be, as in no covers?
6) Another difference is no ride control settings.
7) And of course the 6-speed and suspension differences. Any that I have missed?

I know I read the FRC was stripped, so was wondering what I don't have compared to the others.

I have to learn to drive all over again, as I have not driven a manual shift since 1988--a 5-speed in a Mazda RX-7. I have driven 3-4-5 speeds, but never a 6-speed before. I know it sounds bad, but it is going to take a while to learn to drive it well.

I do like the style of FRC and that is the reason why I bought it. I know it is a subjective thing. Also, having a rare car seems appealing.

I would appreciate any feedback that is given.

Thanks!

1) All FRCs had the base interior, the sport interior was not an option. Coupe and Verts could get the base interior.
2) Dual zone AC was an option in FRCs. Manual AC was available of Coupes and Verts but not common.
3) 99/00 had the same exhaust as their Vert or Coupe siblings. It wasn't until the Z06 that the exhaust changed
4) Not stock
5) Sounds stock, would need pics to be 100%, they should be the same as other C5s
6) Selective ride was optional on Vert and Coupes but never in a FRC or Z06
7) FRCs had Z51 suspension only, it was the exact same Z51 which was optional on Verts and Coupes. Z06s had 1 suspension package as well which changed a few things from the 99/00 FRCs. The 6 speed in the FRC was the same as as coupes and verts. The Z06s received their own ratios which changed from the FRC/Coupe/Vert.

FRCs initially could not come with HUD but that was allowed. Many FRCs even in '00 were low option.

The only option boxes on the 99/00 FRCs were:
exterior color which was limited to white, red, black, nassau blue, and pewter
dual zone ac or manual AC
HUD
body side moldings
active handling
Wheel choice as you could get the standard wheel or the export Speedlines, and possibly chrome (not sure if that was a dealer thing).

They all had base interior in black, Z51 suspension, and were 6 speeds. I'd have to research if you could get a FRC with a Cassette and 6 disk changer.

81c3 10-31-2018 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 (Post 1598112609)

i forgot about the column lock debacle - what a mess !

didnt that affect more GM cars of that era than just c5?

I fixed mine for around 50 dollars... it was hardly a big deal....

81c3 10-31-2018 11:30 PM

In 2006 I bought a 15k mile 2002 Z06. The car was immaculate and I never had a real issue with it. At the same time I also owned a ZR-1 btw.... The Z06 was an incredible automobile....Blistering acceleration even in stock form, the throttle response was excellent, the suspension was very well balanced... in fact, the car had a 51/49 front to rear balance. The Z06 was made to be a race ready Corvette and thats exactly what it was/is.... Suspension adjustments and tire pressure adjustments, and you're ready for track day... The front and rear windshields are 2mm thinner than the regular C5's or FRC's, there is no sound deadening, there was no passenger side power seats available, wheels were lighter, it had a very light, IIRC, an 18lb titanium muffler system, different transmission gearing, brake cooling ducts front and rear, head up display, differnet cam profile, hollow sodium filled valve stems and more bits that I cannot recall at the moment. Some may not like the look of the car and thats fine, but to say they weren't worth the money are fooling themselves and likely are the same people who slam the ZR-1, yet never even have driven one..... Trust the folks who have owned one and get their opinion... I had 2 2002 Z06 cars. I would like another one if I can swing it at some point. Again, like a ZR-1, they are an absolute outstanding bang
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ed7db0ade3.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c4615dda9d.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b1f7ee2f4c.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f555dc0895.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...dd625086e2.jpg
for the buck.

Zak2018 11-01-2018 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 (Post 1598110756)

I think the reason is because 15 years ago the C5 was the newest Corvette, and there are some people who always think newer is always better and better at everything. Flash forward to today when both the C4 and C5 are just old cars and both cars can be judged more on their real merits, and it's not that black and white anymore. Although there are still a load of sheep repeating that the C4 sucks. But I think as the C5 gets cheaper and cheaper this will change. At some point the C4 will attain classic status and the C5 will be the new "sucky cheap bag of dirty".

Zak2018 11-01-2018 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 1598124829)
We are in the "everything sucks" phase of carlifecycles. People are buying the worst examples to save money, then complaining about how much they suck while never recognizing it was because they bought a crappy example.

It gets better from here. Those cars work their way out over the years and things get better, those people will move onto C5s and talk about how shitty those cars are..

Yes, this!