CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   Opinions wanted: A&A V3 vs Hinson Single kit (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/4197476-opinions-wanted-a-and-a-v3-vs-hinson-single-kit.html)

chris308 10-08-2018 02:47 PM

Opinions wanted: A&A V3 vs Hinson Single kit

I have been gathering parts here and there to put together what is essentially an A&A V3 setup minus a few silicone couplers and using a 3.4 pulley. Or I have a chance to acquire a used hinson single turbo setup.
I'm basically just going to keep the power levels modest, what ever they would make out the box, is it on E85. Not looking for that baddest HP car on the block, those days are way behind me. Low maintenance is what I'm after!!

I have never owned a S/C'ed car or ridden in one so not sure how they respond, I came from the DSM world so I can relate to turbo's somewhat just not on a V8... what size turbo could I get on the hinson kit anyways?

So between these two power adders what would you choose and why?

Thanks for your time.

road pilot 10-08-2018 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by chris308 (Post 1598123476)
I have been gathering parts here and there to put together what is essentially an A&A V3 setup minus a few silicone couplers and using a 3.4 pulley. Or I have a chance to acquire a used hinson single turbo setup.
I'm basically just going to keep the power levels modest, what ever they would make out the box, is it on E85. Not looking for that baddest HP car on the block, those days are way behind me. Low maintenance is what I'm after!!

I have never owned a S/C'ed car or ridden in one so not sure how they respond, I came from the DSM world so I can relate to turbo's somewhat just not on a V8... what size turbo could I get on the hinson kit anyways?

So between these two power adders what would you choose and why?

Thanks for your time.

I can only speak from my own experience. I bought a A&A kit and the kit went together well. The after sale advice I learned From A&A was worth more than the price of the blower. Years from now , you have a question and they have a answer .
They still have the personal touch. I buy all my upgrades from them.I would buy a whole system from them again.
Good luck.

~Josh 10-08-2018 07:10 PM

The turbo wil smell like oil, be more complex to install, and bake a lot of under hood components.

Turpid porpoise 10-09-2018 07:37 AM

A&A hands down. I've had both setups and the Hinson setup is anything but bolt on and go but it won't smell like oil....

chris308 10-09-2018 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Turpid porpoise (Post 1598127160)
the Hinson setup is anything but bolt on and go ...

as in welding is needed or structure changes to the car...

neutron82 10-09-2018 12:11 PM

I vote a&a too for simplicity and less maintenance especially since you aren't going for max effort

JMUSSO 10-10-2018 03:44 PM

x2 what Road Pilot said

lukesc5 10-11-2018 06:47 AM

Pm sent

Turpid porpoise 10-11-2018 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by chris308 (Post 1598127843)
as in welding is needed or structure changes to the car...

You'll most likely need to change your coolant tank, I had to make all my own charge piping, I had to make my own downpipe because I used a different turbo than the one they designed the kit around, I had to heat wrap everything on the passenger side of the engine bay, I had to cut the hood skeleton to clear the turbo and eventually had to cut a hole in the hood for the turbo to poke out.

FourG63 97GST 10-18-2018 02:51 PM

I've had the hinson, I do prefer the turbo powerband vs centrifugal. but it's not bolt on. you'll need to modify things and get creative.
So this will come down to how simple you want your life to be. the pros and cons to each