CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance-169/)
-   -   How to tune out NPP? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance/4198794-how-to-tune-out-npp.html)

jimxms 10-10-2018 07:45 AM

How to tune out NPP?

I've heard people mention that they have managed to prevent the NPP valves from closing in tuning, but my tuner tells me that the NPP is controlled by the BCM not the ECM and therefore it cannot be modified as part of a normal tune.

How do I go about disabling NPP entirely for sport/track modes but leave it enabled for Eco? I have Diablosport, HPTuners and a Drewtech J2534 at my disposal.

hcvone 10-10-2018 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by jimxms (Post 1598133681)
I've heard people mention that they have managed to prevent the NPP valves from closing in tuning, but my tuner tells me that the NPP is controlled by the BCM not the ECM and therefore it cannot be modified as part of a normal tune.

How do I go about disabling NPP entirely for sport/track modes but leave it enabled for Eco? I have Diablosport, HPTuners and a Drewtech J2534 at my disposal.

I replace the exhaust on everything I own, on the Z06 and ZR1 I have Akrapovic and installed Mild to Wild switch, the valves are always open, unless I use the supplied remotes to close the valves, for me this works great, I never touch the dash settings

jimxms 10-10-2018 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by hcvone (Post 1598133784)
I replace the exhaust on everything I own, on the Z06 and ZR1 I have Akrapovic and installed Mild to Wild switch, the valves are always open, unless I use the supplied remotes to close the valves, for me this works great, I never touch the dash settings

Good call on the mild to wild. I may have to go that route if there is no simple software fix.

RonC7 10-10-2018 10:11 AM

Pull the fuse.

jimxms 10-10-2018 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by RonC7 (Post 1598134405)
Pull the fuse.

You miss the point dude. I want to be able to still use NPP in eco mode.

Wandering Scot 10-10-2018 10:18 AM

You can wire in a remote.
Build it for under $20 using parts on Amazon.
Once you have it installed you can pair it with the Homelink buttons and not have to have a separate remote.

BrunoTheMellow 10-10-2018 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Wandering Scot (Post 1598134444)
Once you have it installed you can pair it with the Homelink buttons and not have to have a separate remote.

Oh that's nice.

OP. Do you really mind the small amount of time the exhaust goes quiet in TRACK mode setting? I got used to go to the settings menu and swapping between track/auto. I don't go to stealth as I rather not gun my supercharged car and forget to open it first. At least in auto and in TOUR it will open up before it becomes too restrictive.

davepl 10-10-2018 10:32 AM

I wish Tr was "Track" and just held them open. If I needed Sport at the track, it's there. But there's no "always open" mode. If I had access to the BCM, I'd change it in there!

jimxms 10-10-2018 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Wandering Scot (Post 1598134444)

Do tell me more! Do you have a link?

jimxms 10-10-2018 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow (Post 1598134477)
OP. Do you really mind the small amount of time the exhaust goes quiet in TRACK mode setting? I got used to go to the settings menu and swapping between track/auto. I don't go to stealth as I rather not gun my supercharged car and forget to open it first. At least in auto and in TOUR it will open up before it becomes too restrictive.

With decat headers, x-pipe and lopey cam the car sounds like sh*t when the NPP close. I thought my engine was screwed when I first took it out for a drive after adding those mods.

i only want to keep it operational for when the wife is in the car.

Internets_Ninja 10-10-2018 10:52 AM

HPTuners allows you to license the BCM and tune its parameters but it takes 2 additional credits. Your tuner needs to do some studying because you can absolutely tune the NPP system to operate the way you want it to. I've done it myself to my Z51. It's awesome.

Internets_Ninja 10-10-2018 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1 (Post 1598134533)
I wish Tr was "Track" and just held them open. If I needed Sport at the track, it's there. But there's no "always open" mode. If I had access to the BCM, I'd change it in there!

You can access the BCM using HPTuners. You might need to use the Beta version for the NPP controls (thats what I use). It does take 2 credits to license the BCM.

I've set my Track Mode to never close the NPP valves so now when I go to track mode it is just like pulling the fuse, always open 100% of the time. You can even tune Sport Mode to close the valves partially so that Sport mode is softer at low speeds and then queit at highway speeds. Then Tour mode is quiet always below 4500 RPM. And Track mode is god awful loud all of the time. Works great for my car because I have full headers and Borla exhaust.

Wandering Scot 10-10-2018 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by jimxms (Post 1598134545)

Do tell me more! Do you have a link?

You need these:

I don’t have a schematic handy but I can draw one tonight.
The 2 black wires get joined to a larger ring terminal and go to ground.
The red fuse wire goes to the white remote wire.
You will need a small crimp spade terminal for the red remote wire.
That wire goes to the r/h lower fuse terminal.
The blue wire is antenna.
Take the fuse out of the NPP and put it into the upper fuse position.
Plug the assembly into the vacant NPP fuse.
You will need to make a small notch in the fuse cover for the wires to pass through.
Pair with the Homelink as directed in the owners manual.
The whole thing takes maybe 15 minutes.

sevinn 10-10-2018 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ (Post 1598134688)
HPTuners allows you to license the BCM and tune its parameters but it takes 2 additional credits. Your tuner needs to do some studying because you can absolutely tune the NPP system to operate the way you want it to. I've done it myself to my Z51. It's awesome.

I built a mild to wild but will probably end up going this route. I believe I've logged everything I need to know to get this to work the way I want but it hurts to pay 2 credits for it lol

jimxms 10-10-2018 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ (Post 1598134705)
You can access the BCM using HPTuners. You might need to use the Beta version for the NPP controls (thats what I use). It does take 2 credits to license the BCM.

I've set my Track Mode to never close the NPP valves so now when I go to track mode it is just like pulling the fuse, always open 100% of the time. You can even tune Sport Mode to close the valves partially so that Sport mode is softer at low speeds and then queit at highway speeds. Then Tour mode is quiet always below 4500 RPM. And Track mode is god awful loud all of the time. Works great for my car because I have full headers and Borla exhaust.

That sounds awesome! Is the tuning of the NPP difficult (i.e something that an experienced HPT tuner needs to do)?

jimxms 10-10-2018 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Wandering Scot (Post 1598135020)

You need these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EQ...op_mb_pd_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OZ...op_mb_pd_title

I don’t have a schematic handy but I can draw one tonight.
The 2 black wires get joined to a larger ring terminal and go to ground.
The red fuse wire goes to the white remote wire.
You will need a small crimp spade terminal for the red remote wire.
That wire goes to the r/h lower fuse terminal.
The blue wire is antenna.
Take the fuse out of the NPP and put it into the upper fuse position.
Plug the assembly into the vacant NPP fuse.
You will need to make a small notch in the fuse cover for the wires to pass through.
Pair with the Homelink as directed in the owners manual.
The whole thing takes maybe 15 minutes.

Genius! Thanks man. This looks like a good interim fix until I can get it done via software!

Bill Dearborn 10-10-2018 03:59 PM

Do you have an M7 or an A8. If you have an M7 just go to to the Settings menu on your center dash display and use the Engine Sound Management section to set the exhaust in Track Mode. That will leave the valves open all of the time except when the engine is running in V4 mode. Since that can only happen with an M7 when Eco is selected you get both closed and open valves in that mode depending on whether the engine is operating in V4 or V8 mode.

There is no need to pull a fuse or tune anything. It operates the same way with an A8 but the A8 switches from V8 to V4 and back in Tour and Sport modes.

The only time it doesn't switch is when the transmission is place in manual mode.

I have an M7 Z06 with the exhaust set in Track Mode all the time. I have wide open exhaust all of the time except in Eco Mode. The neat thing is when in Eco mode I know when the engine switches from V8 to V4 to V8. Loud exhaust in V8 mode and quiet exhaust in V4 mode. Even in cruise control at 45 mph in 5th gear with rpms somewhere around 1500 I can hear the exhaust switch as the ECM increases throttle as the car encounters a rise in the road and switches to V8 mode or once it is on level ground decreases throttle and switches back to V4 mode.

Bill

jimxms 10-10-2018 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1598136677)
Do you have an M7 or an A8. If you have an M7 just go to to the Settings menu on your center dash display and use the Engine Sound Management section to set the exhaust in Track Mode. That will leave the valves open all of the time except when the engine is running in V4 mode. Since that can only happen with an M7 when Eco is selected you get both closed and open valves in that mode depending on whether the engine is operating in V4 or V8 mode.

There is no need to pull a fuse or tune anything. It operates the same way with an A8 but the A8 switches from V8 to V4 and back in Tour and Sport modes.

The only time it doesn't switch is when the transmission is place in manual mode.

I have an M7 Z06 with the exhaust set in Track Mode all the time. I have wide open exhaust all of the time except in Eco Mode. The neat thing is when in Eco mode I know when the engine switches from V8 to V4 to V8. Loud exhaust in V8 mode and quiet exhaust in V4 mode. Even in cruise control at 45 mph in 5th gear with rpms somewhere around 1500 I can hear the exhaust switch as the ECM increases throttle as the car encounters a rise in the road and switches to V8 mode or once it is on level ground decreases throttle and switches back to V4 mode.

Bill

I've got an M7, but I don't think I have that option in the Engine Sound Management. I'm pretty sure its either Auto or Disabled. I tried it both ways and neither had the desired effect. What year do you have? Mine is a '14.

Bill Dearborn 10-10-2018 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by jimxms (Post 1598136771)
I've got an M7, but I don't think I have that option in the Engine Sound Management. I'm pretty sure its either Auto or Disabled. I tried it both ways and neither had the desired effect. What year do you have? Mine is a '14.

I have a 15. The 15 owner's manual reads the same as the 14 manual. From Page 5-42 of the 14 OM:
"Engine Sound Management
This allows the Engine Sound
Management feature to be turned
on or off.
Select Auto (Mode Selector) or Off."

However, I get a selection when I enter engine sound management. The 15 manual could have a misprint in it due to carrying over 14 verbage or maybe they are both wrong. If you look at Engine Sound Management on the screen and only see a selection for Auto or Off I would select Off and see what happens.

This is what shows up in subsequent OM's:
"Engine Sound Management
This allows the Engine Sound
Management feature to be set
independent of the Driver Mode
Selector. See Track Events and
Competitive Driving 0 157.
Select Auto (Mode Selector) or
Stealth, Tour, Sport, or Track."

Bill

djyankees31 10-11-2018 09:50 AM

I have a 15 A8 with the settings as described by Bill.

It works great.