CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Decided on Z06 over the ZR1 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4198918-decided-on-z06-over-the-zr1.html)

joemessman 10-10-2018 12:18 PM

Decided on Z06 over the ZR1

I just thought I would post this to test my logic. I was considering a ZR1, but considering all the tours my wife and I go on I determined it was a little impractical. Will probably go with a Z06. We drive in a lot of inclement weather conditions and with no Weather mode to drive in on the ZR1 it would make it a little difficult to handle at times. Also the wing on the trunk, which I like, makes loading and unloading luggage, etc. considerably inconvenient. Two guys I talked to last week had the ZR1, but indicated that if I wouldn't be tracking it I wouldn't get full enjoyment out of it. What do you think?

kennyjames21 10-10-2018 12:22 PM

I've seen you post and you seem to be all about wanting the best performance available or you end up disappointed - if that is the case, get the ZR1 or you'll regret it. If you're thinking that you won't get full use of the performance and you're worried about luggage and driving in inclement weather, then you should be fine with a stingray, but that's not really your mindset (again, going by reading many of your posts...).

Prediction - you'll buy the z06 then test drive a zr1 and then will want to 'throw stones' at your z06...

Of course the problem with chasing the highest performance car is that the chase will never end and you'll never be satisfied...

JJLAI724 10-10-2018 12:29 PM

Are you someone that "wants" to have the best production corvette made? The ZR1 is a very very nice ride for the money. However if you are going to be using it for road trips with luggage, reaching over the wing will be back breaking or a two person job. You would never be able to access the luggage further in towards the seats. If you want the second best production corvette, then get the Z06. It's got way more performance capabilities that any average driver can use or handle on the public roads.

Good luck in your decision.

ant812 10-10-2018 12:50 PM

i have never had a z06 but all the other vettes i have owned had more power and performance than was ever needed for street driving. i am waiting on a gs order now, i contemplated a z06 but it seemed like overkill for me...not to mention the extra money i would have been spending.
i don't think youll regret a z06.

saleen556 10-10-2018 01:05 PM

Neither car is practical. Just depends how much you want to spend as you won’t reach the limit of either on the street. I prefer the look of the Z06 myself.

kennyjames21 10-10-2018 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ant812 (Post 1598135631)
i have never had a z06 but all the other vettes i have owned had more power and performance than was ever needed for street driving. i am waiting on a gs order now, i contemplated a z06 but it seemed like overkill for me...not to mention the extra money i would have been spending.
i don't think youll regret a z06.

Using your logic, you are correct. But if you're in a stingray or GS and looking up at a z06 because its faster, the same thing will happen to him in a z06 when he's looking up at the ZR1...

Zjoe6 10-10-2018 01:10 PM

Your reasoning sounds good to me.

falcon5619 10-10-2018 01:26 PM

If money is no issue then what does it matter, you will have to deal with luggage and rear spoilers regardless. For me, I think the Z06 and ZR1 power is overkill for where I drive so I would just get a GS for the styling and overall balanced package (better fuel economy, lower insurance premium, etc.) and then take all that money saved and just buy or rent a proper vehicle for when you take trips. Right tool for the job...

vdavenp802 10-10-2018 01:45 PM

Like you we wanted to take long trips in the Corvette. I like the styling of the Z06 better and was not so concerned about having the fastest track car.
GS was not available when we ordered the Z. Ive driven the Z in the rain w/weather mode and it works okay, it still makes me nervous. Ill feel better when I get the new Michelin runflats AS tires.
I would recommend the COS at Spring Mountain as it will help build driving confidence as well as teach you about its many features.
Its a good road trip car. I get 26 mpg easily, if thats important. Wife can drive it and enjoy it as much as I do.

Im often asked would I change anythhing on the car or want a ZR1, and after reading about the ZR1 I can easily say no, and no.

Good luck and I wish you well be happy with either.

Steve Garrett 10-10-2018 01:52 PM

Congrats on your final decision, Joe.

joemessman 10-10-2018 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by saleen556 (Post 1598135721)
Neither car is practical. Just depends how much you want to spend as you won’t reach the limit of either on the street. I prefer the look of the Z06 myself.

At least I would have weather mode.:cheers:

joemessman 10-10-2018 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by falcon5619 (Post 1598135832)
If money is no issue then what does it matter, you will have to deal with luggage and rear spoilers regardless. For me, I think the Z06 and ZR1 power is overkill for where I drive so I would just get a GS for the styling and overall balanced package (better fuel economy, lower insurance premium, etc.) and then take all that money saved and just buy or rent a proper vehicle for when you take trips. Right tool for the job...

Those are good points to ponder. My insurance premiums on the Z06 from the Stingray only go up $130 for the year. Not bad. And I do like some overkill.

speed4tu 10-10-2018 01:56 PM

Personally i rather have the Z06 as the Z07 wickers look far better along with the Z06 wheels. If I had to choose the ZR1 it would definately be without the ZTK package.

SilverGhost 10-10-2018 02:00 PM

(Interesting sidebar: Michelin offers a snow tire for the ZR1. GM’s engineers on hand were particularly proud of the fact that nearly all the final development of the ZR1 was done in Michigan, in winter, on snow tires. All reported the ZR1 to be hilarious fun in the snow, and apparently zero cars needed rescuing in over 100,000 miles of winter driving. The ZR1 can, according to GM, ford 12 inches of standing water. But that doesn’t mean you can do any of this on Cup2’s. Be honest about your usage, and don’t cheap out on tires because with 750 HP it could mean your life. I offered the engineers the challenge of seeking the production car lap record on snow tires at the ‘Ring).

On the road, and with warm tires, the ZR1 is as easy to drive as any Corvette. You could, I swear, teach your kid to drive stick in one.
ZR1 snow mobile

so, you are going to Press on Regardless in conditions worse than the ZR1 was developed in?

GM didn't take a step backward with the development of their newest Vette. Most telling is the addition of port injection as well as direct injection on the 2019 ZR1 6.2 liter motor ONLY. GM may disown an owner's warranty for putting an aftermarket catch can on the 6.2 Stingray, GS and Z06 motors; but they ain't too proud to admit with actions, not words, that valve gear benefit from detergent gasoline washing the backsides of the valve trains with port injection.

joemessman 10-10-2018 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Steven Bell (Post 1598135969)
Congrats on your final decision, Joe.

The decision isn't final yet, but pretty close. I still have the C8 nagging at me. I doubt it will suit me because of luggage space, and the fact it is a new platform for potential bugs. I'm thinking even if it did fit the bill I would still wait a year or so to find out. And if I do that I'm 2 years down the road. We should know in Dec or Jan enough to make a decision on that C8. I would just hate to pull the trigger now and find out in a couple of months I should have went with the C8. Thanks.

djnice 10-10-2018 02:38 PM

I agree with your logic. The Z06 is already overkill for the street.

falcon5619 10-10-2018 02:52 PM

That issue will always exist though. If you buy a C8 in 2 years then you will worry about a C8 Grand Sport or C8 Z06 or whatever coming out. At some point you have to find the right balance between what your heart wants and what the rationale part of your mind is telling you to do. In my experience, you never really become satisfied with the power because you start to become conditioned to it like everything else in life.

Rebel Yell 10-10-2018 03:20 PM

Practicality is hard to figure when the choice is between the Z06, and the ZR1. So, we look to which would be the best road car when taking the trips you, and you wife enjoy. I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the "weather" mode. With tires that would work like pontoons in the rain, IMHO the Z06 would fit the bill. But, we know what is said about opinions. :)

Good luck on your choice Joe. If only all choices were like this one. Either way you'll have one great Corvette. :thumbs:

djnice 10-10-2018 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by djnice (Post 1598136213)
I agree with your logic. The Z06 is already overkill for the street.

I should clarify one thing, I rarely use weather mode and don't find it as helpful in the Z06. Seems like it can't react quick enough and is too abrupt when it does react.

Avanti 10-10-2018 04:32 PM

From my perspective the ZR1 is so ugly I wouldn't drive one, even it hovered and flew. :lol: