CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   A&A - standing mile, any fuel or cooling issues I should anticipate? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/4198965-a-and-a-standing-mile-any-fuel-or-cooling-issues-i-should-anticipate.html)

RockyMtC5 10-10-2018 01:59 PM

A&A - standing mile, any fuel or cooling issues I should anticipate?

Another winter another upgrade.

Currently at 433/396 with Heads (Stg 2.5 317’s), cam (226/228 .600 114Lsa), ported FAST 90/90, 1 7/8” ARH catless.

Decided to go with A&A basic kit, which I believes comes with Boost-a-pump for 2003+ C5’s. It will be installed by a very reputable corvette shop who’s done many of these installs, so I’m not worried about having everything done right. I don’t track or drag race, mostly just a weekend canyon carver but occasionally I enjoy running Standing Mile events to see how fast I can go!

My question is about standing mile events because someone told me I will have fuel delivery and temperature issues with supercharger on long pulls like standing mile. I think this person has had issues on his supercharged C6Z and is just trying to scare/“warn” me but he is way more experienced than me so thought I’d post this here!

thanks for any info!!

heres a video one of my slower runs at Colorado Mile 2017 on setup I have now

neutron82 10-10-2018 05:43 PM

maybe run meth to help keep iats cool on long pulls and add some extra octane... e85 would be even better if you have that around you and don't mind building a fuel system

Pekka_Perkeles 10-11-2018 11:02 AM

Just don't run with 1/4 or less fuel in the tank.

Otherwise if tuned properly it will be fine and especially if final WOT run has been done with a proper long pull, not just 5 secs or so..

RockyMtC5 10-11-2018 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by neutron82 (Post 1598137190)
maybe run meth to help keep iats cool on long pulls and add some extra octane... e85 would be even better if you have that around you and don't mind building a fuel system

I want to keep everything as simple as possible, running premium (93 in the Midwest and 91 in the West). I can run race fuel for these events but not interested in E85 conversion or running meth.

Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles (Post 1598140815)
Just don't run with 1/4 or less fuel in the tank.

Otherwise if tuned properly it will be fine and especially if final WOT run has been done with a proper long pull, not just 5 secs or so..

Interesting, haven't heard anything about not running below 1/4 tank -- but I can see why this might make sense. Thanks for the reply's guys!

JoeyG 10-11-2018 01:20 PM

Running below a 1/4 tank leaves chance for fuel to slosh away from the bucket andcavitate the pump, as well as possible heat issues for the pump. Add a meth kit to keep iat down on long pulls and have fun.

tabbruzz 10-11-2018 07:22 PM

I never knew any of this so my idea of a sc has ended...what's the fun in worrying about heat and gas issues within a single mile run...maybe i am missing something here but it sounds like you need to be extra careful with a sc and I am not talking about handling the power...please convince me otherwise because i really wanted one...

sorry to hijack post....i was just taken back by this..

itsslow98 10-11-2018 09:35 PM

You should be fine, the a&a kits have a nice front mount setup and ducting to force air in. A good tune will put you in a safe range for a mile event.

RockyMtC5 10-11-2018 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by itsslow98 (Post 1598144508)
You should be fine, the a&a kits have a nice front mount setup and ducting to force air in. A good tune will put you in a safe range for a mile event.

thats what I’m thinking! I’m just going to remind my tuner when I drop it off that I want it tunes safely and with standing mile in mind. I’d be fine opening up the front license plate and/or fog light surrounds to help keep things cool. Thanks!

neutron82 10-12-2018 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by tabbruzz (Post 1598143813)
I never knew any of this so my idea of a sc has ended...what's the fun in worrying about heat and gas issues within a single mile run...maybe i am missing something here but it sounds like you need to be extra careful with a sc and I am not talking about handling the power...please convince me otherwise because i really wanted one...

don't let that discourage you, when you add a considerable amount of power there are precautions and things you need to pay more attention to and that just comes with the territory... some of the faster cars are approaching 200mph in a half mile which is fast enough for most and running it for a full mile would require more precautions in my opinion

RockyMtC5 10-12-2018 09:03 AM

well I’ve pretty much committed to this now so if standing mile is too risky I can always switch to HALF MILE instead. When I ran standing mile in my current setup it took me that long to get to 160-165. With A&A setup I should be able to hit those speeds in HALF MILE. I guess I have a lot to learn about this stuff yet and will keep researching and will also talk to my tuner about what to expect, look out for, and consider for these types of events!

JoeyG 10-12-2018 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by RockyMtC5 (Post 1598146064)
well I’ve pretty much committed to this now so if standing mile is too risky I can always switch to HALF MILE instead. When I ran standing mile in my current setup it took me that long to get to 160-165. With A&A setup I should be able to hit those speeds in HALF MILE. I guess I have a lot to learn about this stuff yet and will keep researching and will also talk to my tuner about what to expect, look out for, and consider for these types of events!

just make sure you have a 1/2 tank before a pass and let it eat. With the upgrade you shouldve180s no issue in the mile

gotjuice? 10-13-2018 12:49 PM

Just make sure the tune is good. Mile runs require over 10 seconds of wot in 5th gear. The tune needs to be perfect. I have run 20 plus runs over 200 at the Texas Mile, no issues. A&A kit, Nitrous and Meth.

Build it, tune it safe and have fun.

CorvetteBrent 10-14-2018 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by tabbruzz (Post 1598143813)

I like my supercharger a lot! I drove my Procharged C5 Corvette coupe on a 4400 mile trip, with total reliability and no heat or gas issues. Also, I drive my car on really hot days here in southwest Florida, and the temperature stays the same as my other non-supercharged C5 Corvette. As for folks advising keeping more than a quarter tank of gas for the one-mile run, that seems easy enough to follow just for a one-day race.

tabbruzz 10-15-2018 03:23 PM

Which kit do you have? A&A or ECS? This is one that I keep going back and forth on...

neutron82 10-15-2018 03:59 PM

go with a&a, much better quality and customer service

RockyMtC5 10-15-2018 04:57 PM

I am going with A&A for sure, the shop doing the install has done a lot of the A&A kits and suggests them!

RecMech 10-15-2018 05:05 PM

You are definitely going to want some some sort of data logger. Tuner can get a safe setup on the dyno, but actual data from a 1 mile pass in invaluable.
Basic wideband O2 fed into EfiLive or HP Tuners will work.
You wont need in-depth tuning knowledge, just enough to pull the log and make sure nothing goes out of range. From there the tuner can earn his $$

RockyMtC5 10-15-2018 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by RecMech (Post 1598164408)
You are definitely going to want some some sort of data logger. Tuner can get a safe setup on the dyno, but actual data from a 1 mile pass in invaluable.
Basic wideband O2 fed into EfiLive or HP Tuners will work.
You wont need in-depth tuning knowledge, just enough to pull the log and make sure nothing goes out of range. From there the tuner can earn his $$

is that something easy to set up myself? I don’t have any tuner software or knowledge so unless it’s something I can do fairly easily or have my shop install for me.

RecMech 10-16-2018 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by RockyMtC5 (Post 1598165936)

is that something easy to set up myself? I don’t have any tuner software or knowledge so unless it’s something I can do fairly easily or have my shop install for me.

Yes, the EFILive or HP Tuners box is simple OBD2 plug. Get an Innovate or similar wideband O2 (will require a bung welded in the exhaust and some wiring). I originally had everything in my center console for easy access in my C6.
Your tuner should be able to set you up so all you have to do is pull the SD card out of the box after a run and look at no more than 10 parameters for safety on a laptop... Save him some files for tuning later, and you will be good to go.
The entire process at the track can be done with a simple checklist, no tuning knowledge required.

Rkreigh 10-18-2018 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by RockyMtC5 (Post 1598165936)

the supercharger will be fully spun up and loading the engine MUCH harder than on the dyno and on the street. At a minimum, I'd try a longer dyno pull and make sure the tune is SPOT on as the mile stuff will load the engine like never before and fully stress the parts.

run good gas, and make sure you stay away from detonation and don't get too greedy and overboost. If the car survives a real hard dyno pull and the data logging looks good, I would not hesitate.