CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Kerbeck washing new Vettes incorrectly (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4199028-kerbeck-washing-new-vettes-incorrectly.html)

CarterRuss 10-10-2018 04:56 PM

Kerbeck washing new Vettes incorrectly

Is it wrong to expect a $60k car not to be washed incorrectly and thus end up needing $800 worth of paint correction (unfortunately I don't have the means to do it myself these days)?

I had specifically asked for my car not to be washed to which it was unfortunately was. I get a Honda Civic getting the typical dealer installed swirls/scratches but these aren't Civics.

Maybe I am expecting too much but you'd think a top Corvette sales dealership would have someone with a little more experience washing cars.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...159b96a2e9.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...290cbf5307.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f453f2fb04.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...44f7b0d52e.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6da84b9ad9.jpg

pewter99 10-10-2018 04:59 PM

can you prove they did the damages you are taking about?

CarterRuss 10-10-2018 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by pewter99 (Post 1598136990)
can you prove they did the damages you are taking about?

I mean with 100% certainty? No. With 99% certainty? Yes. The car was picked up with 9 miles and delivered with 9 miles. I just got pictures from the shipping company that show it was picked up from what looks like a wash bay at the dealership. Between that and the fact that I my complaint has gone unanswered for about 5 days lends me to believe I am correct in my belief. Unless you tell me the factory washes cars before they wrap them up for delivery but I can't imagine that is the case.

MMD 10-10-2018 05:10 PM

I heard the same thing from a YouTuber that said the same thing about his new Corvette he bought at Kerbeck. He had to do a stage 2 paint correction to get all the swirls and scratches out. Brand new car.

AORoads 10-10-2018 05:13 PM

It's a production dealership, meaning they sell and get cars out the door. Some people go to a dealer and pull the interior and exterior plastic off themselves, drive the car home and wash it for the first time. If you want that kind of personal attention, you either have to be there, or have a very good understanding with someone, starting with your salesperson. Did you?

CarterRuss 10-10-2018 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1598137060)
It's a production dealership, meaning they sell and get cars out the door. Some people go to a dealer and pull the interior and exterior plastic off themselves, drive the car home and wash it for the first time. If you want that kind of personal attention, you either have to be there, or have a very good understanding with someone, starting with your salesperson. Did you?

I guess I thought I did. I asked only two things once I purchased it and this was my final call to my sales person before shipment arrived....no front plate and do not wash it. If they didn't have to wash it, wouldn't that save time in a production environment? Being a bit of a different car than most Chevys, I would have assumed this was a fairly common request or at the very least they had someone that knew how to properly wash a car.

SoFloVette 10-10-2018 05:27 PM

When I purchased my 2019 there was a tag wrapped around the steering wheel with a picture of a C7 inside a car wash and a big red X over it. They're suggesting these cars not ran thru a car wash

Dave@Ciocca 10-10-2018 05:42 PM

This is the first I've heard of this but I'll try to get to the bottom of it. Did you custom order a car or did you purchase a car out of stock?

My guess is you purchased a car that had been in stock for a while. If the car was in stock and parked out of doors for a while, it probably need to be washed and polished before delivery. If we find a car showing swirls marks we would normally remove them before delivery. However, if you requested the car not be washed then they probably left the car as is. As far as being in the wash bay, we would absolutely rinse car off that is being picked up by a transport company so he can give it a proper instruction. No driver is going to sign off that he inspected a car that hasn't been rinsed nor would we expect him to since he is responsible for any damage you find on the car that he didn't note on the transport paperwork. You also stated that you requested no front tag. Was there a front tag on the car or were you just referencing your request?

Now, if you custom ordered a car, I'd have to look a little deeper into the story. We've seen plenty of cars come in from the factory with swirl marks but, again, we usually attempt to remove that prior to delivery unless there is a request not to do so.

Let me know more info about your transaction and I'll see what I can find out.

Dave

Avanti 10-10-2018 05:50 PM

My BLACK '18 was fine... just, sayin'...

CarterRuss 10-10-2018 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com (Post 1598137186)
This is the first I've heard of this but I'll try to get to the bottom of it. Did you custom order a car or did you purchase a car out of stock?

My guess is you purchased a car that had been in stock for a while. If the car was in stock and parked out of doors for a while, it probably need to be washed and polished before delivery. If we find a car showing swirls marks we would normally remove them before delivery. However, if you requested the car not be washed then they probably left the car as is. As far as being in the wash bay, we would absolutely rinse car off that is being picked up by a transport company so he can give it a proper instruction. No driver is going to sign off that he inspected a car that hasn't been rinsed nor would we expect him to since he is responsible for any damage you find on the car that he didn't note on the transport paperwork. You also stated that you requested no front tag. Was there a front tag on the car or were you just referencing your request?

Now, if you custom ordered a car, I'd have to look a little deeper into the story. We've seen plenty of cars come in from the factory with swirl marks but, again, we usually attempt to remove that prior to delivery unless there is a request not to do so.

Let me know more info about your transaction and I'll see what I can find out.

Dave

Car from stock (G19446). You should have an email from me on Oct 5th at 3:40PM as well as this morning at 10:56AM.

As far as the front tag goes, I was just reference those were my two requests. No tag was put on the car.

CarterRuss 10-10-2018 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Avanti (Post 1598137218)
My BLACK '18 was fine... just, sayin'...

Better keep it that way! :D

Dave@Ciocca 10-10-2018 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by CarterRuss (Post 1598137249)
Car from stock (G19446). You should have an email from me on Oct 5th at 3:40PM as well as this morning at 10:56AM.

As far as the front tag goes, I was just reference those were my two requests. No tag was put on the car.

I'm not in the office now but I would remember an email with that complaint so I'm not sure what happened. In fact, now that I'm looking at your username, I just realized who this was. I'm pretty sure that you've never had an unanswered email from me before. I even went the extra distance for you when you got the car! :) If you sent me not one, but 2 messages that weren't answered and that has never happened before, you should have just called me or Joe.

Having said that, judging by your stock number I'd say your car got here in late May or early June so it was here for a while before you got it. Rather than just blindly follow your request, we probably should have called to ask you if you wanted us to handle it. But like I said, I'm not in the office so I'll look into tomorrow and we'll reach out.

Dave

CarterRuss 10-10-2018 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com (Post 1598137380)
I even went the extra distance for you when you got the car! :)

I know and my email started out with thanks for that :) I sent Joe a picture of it in Yosemite for proof.

Dave@Ciocca 10-10-2018 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by CarterRuss (Post 1598137479)
I know and my email started out with thanks for that :) I sent Joe a picture of it in Yosemite for proof.

Yep, he showed me! We'll reach out tomorrow AM.

Submerge 10-10-2018 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1598137060)

Bought mine out of state. Had to find a local dealer to do a courtesy delivery. The courtesy delivery manager tells me they haven’t done one in a long while (other than fleet cars). Says GM pays for the PDI and goes on to say he won’t charge me anything. I go to pick up the car, and there it is in the row of Vettes under their covered patio area. I show the delivery manager my ID and he gives me the keys. There was still some white plastic in the interior. I touched the paint and he says “since we didn’t charge you anything, we didn’t even wash it”. He helps me get the white stuff off and remove the window sticker. I look the car over, start it, and drive off. Couldn’t have been happier going that route. I did the first wash and paint treatment. Most dealers want to make the quick $500 for cleaning up the car before turning it over. I will go back to this dealer for service.

ANTIVNOM 10-10-2018 08:13 PM

I forbade my dealer from washing my new ZL1 and will do that for all cars from now on. I'd be pissed if I asked for it not to be washed and they did it anyway.

The local Ford dealer here is the worst I have ever seen. They destroy the finish of every new vehicle they have.

AORoads 10-10-2018 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by CarterRuss (Post 1598137119)
I guess I thought I did. I asked only two things once I purchased it and this was my final call to my sales person before shipment arrived....no front plate and do not wash it. If they didn't have to wash it, wouldn't that save time in a production environment? Being a bit of a different car than most Chevys, I would have assumed this was a fairly common request or at the very least they had someone that knew how to properly wash a car.

Yes, it would save time. I see from the subsequent posts by Dave at Kerbeck there may have been some time-on-the-lot-outdoors issues with the car that may have been rinsed for shipping, or even washed. I believe this will be resolved for you, and is (hopefully) a slight misunderstanding with one thing overriding your request. Tell us how it all turns out for you. And good luck with the car! :cheers:

mschuyler 10-10-2018 09:06 PM

That car sat there all summer long before you expressed an interest in it, during which it was their car. I could see your point if you had factory ordered the car, but you can't make a request like that retroactive.

Woodson 10-10-2018 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by CarterRuss (Post 1598136974)
Is it wrong to expect a $60k car not to be washed incorrectly and thus end up needing $800 worth of paint correction (unfortunately I don't have the means to do it myself these days)?

I had specifically asked for my car not to be washed to which it was unfortunately was. I get a Honda Civic getting the typical dealer installed swirls/scratches but these aren't Civics.

Maybe I am expecting too much but you'd think a top Corvette sales dealership would have someone with a little more experience washing cars.

So that we are understanding you correctly, you bought a car that's been sitting on a dealer lot for months (no doubt at a large discount), and you want them to retroactively not wash it?

JerryU 10-10-2018 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com (Post 1598137380)
…judging by your stock number I'd say your car got here in late May or early June so it was here for a while before you got it.

Dave

Originally Posted by mschuyler (Post 1598138313)
That car sat there all summer long before you expressed an interest in it, during which it was their car. I could see your point if you had factory ordered the car, but you can't make a request like that retroactive.
:iagree:

Bought two cars from a Kerbeck. Both perfect for me! Both were ordered to my specs. Picked up the 2008 C6 from Atlantic City and drove it home. However it wasn’t sitting in a lot with ~200 cars that they were trying to sell. Don’t see how you can expect any dealer to have cars in the lot ready to sell to someone that are not washed!

My Grand Sport was bought from Kerbeck, built to Bowling Green and delivered to a local dealer who acepted Courtesy Delivery. Not knowing this dealership I went to meet the service manager prior to delivery and did not want to sound like didn’t trust their folks that wash cars they service, but said don’t bother washing as I will wash, claybar and Zaino when I get it home. The service manager said, “understand, my wife did the same when she got her C7- detailed herself!”

If you’re OCD about paint then either do what I did, order a made for you from Kerbeck and then I can see where they will be able to keep it as delivered but you pick it up. Or arrange Courtesy Delivery as I did when I bought the Grand Sport from them.