CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   C6 convertibles aren't selling in Florida (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4199637-c6-convertibles-arent-selling-in-florida.html)

SRQ Vette 10-11-2018 01:20 PM

C6 convertibles aren't selling in Florida

I have been looking for a C6 convertible for several months and have not been able to find what I want. My needs aren't that unusual, just a low mileage 2006-2008 with automatic transmission, no Z51, and any color except black. Red, yellow, or white is preferred. I hesitated on a red 22,000 mile 2006 several months ago. After 2 months on the dealer's lot, it disappeared. The salesperson told me quite frankly that they couldn't sell it. I suspect that it went to auction.

I have been watching the usual web sites very closely for the past few months. I have seen a few good 2005s, and they are still available. In the past week I have seen a 2007 that went to auction after 2 months at a Lexus dealer and just showed up on another dealer's site, and a 2006 that looks like it went from the local Chevy dealer to the Jaguar dealer, where it is priced $1000 higher. I looked at a 2005 in Tampa a couple of weeks ago and didn't buy it. The dealer just raised the price by close to $500! What's up with that?

I am also aware of a private seller who is a member here who couldn't find a buyer for his exceptional convertible with a manual transmission. It is now on a dealer's web site.

What do you think is going on here?

FAUEE 10-11-2018 01:23 PM

You're looking only for colors people dont want. Black, red, yellow, and white are the colors that people buying a corvette typically want.

Landru 10-11-2018 03:04 PM

Being open to all colors except black opens-up a large market, add A6 & it gets even better.
Have no idea what drives FL C6 market, up north sales/availability are seasonally sensitive.
Can drive C6s, especially the highly popular roadster, most of the year in FL. Demand's year around.
That'd be my guess. :confused2:

Expanding search area would probably yield a suitable roadster in a variety of colors rather fast.
Or, continue to wait for the right one to come on the market. IOW, patience.
This time if it looks OK to you, pounce. :cheers:

dr_gallup 10-11-2018 03:47 PM

If they aren't selling then it's a buyers market, should work in your favor.

Vette_DD 10-11-2018 04:05 PM

Too many hurricanes for convertibles in Fla.?

BWF07 10-11-2018 04:54 PM

Do you really mean, there are not many C6 convertibles for sale in Florida, instead of "C6 convertibles not selling in Florida"? I personally would not own a convertible here in Florida, but then that is just me. The idea of riding around in 90+ degree sun baked heat does not really get me excited. I live in the Tampa Bay area and about the only time I can see dropping the top is mid October to maybe early December then maybe march to mid April. Look outside of the state. Now with winter coming on you can find better deals up north.

Ssnobrakes 10-11-2018 05:12 PM

I agree that its too hot in Florida for most of the year for a convertible.. Personally I prefer the top down in Spring and Fall.

jaredtxrx 10-11-2018 05:24 PM

I found 9. You listed 7. They are out there. Sounds to me you're afraid to pull the trigger.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&firstRecord=0
You sat and watched one you wanted for two months sit on a dealer lot. That was prime time for getting a really good deal.

Chevyrelic 10-11-2018 05:33 PM

IDK...a quick look on car gurus showed over 30 C6 converts within 200 miles of central Florida. All colors, miles, options, etc. If you’re only looking in your city, yeah, finding one you like may take awhile. I feel I got lucky...I only had to drive two and a half hours to buy mine. Good luck with your search.

capevettes 10-11-2018 06:30 PM

You really need to be willing to travel a bit to get the car you want. When you restrict your search not only to your area but to colors and options, your field of suitable cars becomes very narrow.

S.C. vette 10-11-2018 06:51 PM

Broaden your search requirements... be patient, I waited nearly 18 months for my current ride. It was 600 miles away.

c6 monkey 10-12-2018 12:31 AM

I drove to Bakersfield from Los Angeles to get mine. You gotta do what ya gotta do.

enventr 10-12-2018 04:47 AM

I see many verts for sale in Florida. That’s where I got mine.as others said you may have to travel to get your color.
good luck.

Sunnyvale Dave 10-12-2018 06:39 AM

Be careful when buying a Corvette from a non-Chevy dealership. I have a friend who bought a used C6 from a Mercedes dealership. The Mercedes dealership didn't know anything about working on Corvettes. For some reason they lifted the car and cracked the rocker panels. They also must have removed the taillights and put them back in incorrect locations.

Tally Ho 10-12-2018 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ssnobrakes (Post 1598143049)
I agree that its too hot in Florida for most of the year for a convertible.. Personally I prefer the top down in Spring and Fall.

Above 60* and not raining - the top is down. The heat doesn't bother me. I bought it to use as a convertible. Several C6 convertibles listed on Craigslist in my area. They're out there.

ben z 10-12-2018 12:37 PM

Plenty of convertibles on the road and for sale down here in FL although personally I wouldn't want one. I had 2 convertibles when I lived up north, but down here it's not just heat and skin cancer issues, there's also the issue of sudden downpours (can be sitting at a red in sunshine, light turns green, it's pouring by the time you get across the intersection), UV damage/fading of interior materials, and vandalism while parked. Horses for courses.

SRQ Vette 10-12-2018 01:27 PM

Apparently several of you guys have problems with reading comprehension. I never said that there is a shortage of C6 convertibles for sale in Florida. There are many of them for sale, and they don't appear to be selling. To repeat what I said in my first post, they are sitting on dealer lots for two months or more, and then they go to auction and show up on another dealer's lot. In some cases when they go to the new dealer, the price is higher than when it was unsold elsewhere. The main question in my original post is why these cars are not selling. The second question is why dealers think that they can raise the price on a car that hasn't sold for 2 months.

I also never said that I was only looking in my own city for a car. I am looking in a 500 mile radius. There are probably more Corvette convertibles in Florida than in any state other than California, so I am quite sure that eventually I will find the right car within a reasonable driving distance.

jaredtxrx, just because I didn't buy one particular car does not mean that I am "afraid to pull the trigger." At the time when that car was available I was just beginning my research on C6 convertibles. There was no urgent reason to buy. And yes, I agree, I probably could have gotten a great deal. As far as pulling the trigger on any of the other C6 convertibles that are currently offered nearby, why should I? Apparently no one else wants those cars either. I can wait to find the right car.

For those of you who say that you wouldn't want a convertible in Florida, that's fine. I have lived here for 15 years and have always owned a convertible. I can put the top down 12 months of the year. There has only been one January when the top was not down at least once. It is true that in the summer the top may only be down in the early morning and in the evening, but believe me, I do put the top down every day unless it is raining.

919cw313 10-12-2018 02:05 PM

Good luck on your quest. You sound like quite the savvy buyer and a pleasure to deal with.