CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 ZR1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion-176/)
-   -   Are ZR1 prices tanking??? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion/4200190-are-zr1-prices-tanking.html)

tooold2race 10-12-2018 07:38 PM

Are ZR1 prices tanking???

I'm one of those guys that have owned over a dozen new Corvettes dating back to 1968 including a Ruby 40th Anniversary ZR-1. Last month I got tired / bored waiting for the new C8 (I'm on a couple lists at 3 of the top 5 North America Corvette dealers). I went shopping for a new ZR1 'vert' high wing automatic. What I found was that there were 43 new ZR1's for sale on the web (all with VIN numbers). Only 4 of 'em were 'verts' but in conversation (yeah, not texts) virtually all that I spoke with were quick to cut the sticker price 5%. A couple even said they had an available allocation so they could get exactly what I wanted into the system within a couple weeks..... that is in a production slot, not built. Virtually all gave me the impression that if I wanted their 'coupe' they could make me an even better deal.... especially on the orange 'special editions' many have in stock or on the way... By the way, there are at least 5 pilot line ZR1's with mileage between 6,000 and 15,000 that dealers bought at the GM auctions for sale at $10K+ off sticker. (Note that the CarFax all show originally titled in Warren, Michigan.... GM's Tech Center).

Does this mean that everybody that 'had to have one' already has one??? How soft is the ZR1 pricing really getting now that the C8 ME is starting to get closer???

Thoughts.....

SouthernSon 10-12-2018 08:00 PM

Let us know when you actually buy one.

range96 10-12-2018 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by tooold2race (Post 1598149573)
...there were 43 new ZR1's for sale on the web (all with VIN numbers)...

Where?

tooold2race 10-12-2018 08:30 PM

I went to www.autoblog.com 2 weeks ago and there were 43, mostly coupes. You need to call and talk to a 'real' person. They're there and they will move to -5% as soon as they figure out you're serious. Talk to the high volume guys, not the mom and pap stores.....

Check cars. com and autotrader.com too....

customryder 10-12-2018 08:43 PM

short answer is no...

AZ Car Guy 10-12-2018 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by tooold2race (Post 1598149825)
I went to www.autoblog.com 2 weeks ago and there were 43, mostly coupes. You need to call and talk to a 'real' person. They're there and they will move to -5% as soon as they figure out you're serious. Talk to the high volume guys, not the mom and pap stores.....

Check cars. com and autotrader.com too....

so when you are serious and buy one, let us know.

Leadfoot01 10-12-2018 09:33 PM

My dealer said exactly the opposite to me yesterday. They have 3 customers that need a car and they spoke to over 30 dealers with cars coming in and virtually all of them refused to release a car. 2 dealers were willing to take $5K over MSRP. Almost all of the cars you’re seeing on autotrader and cars.com are sold orders. This just happened with the Range Autobiography I got a few months back. I ordered the car and it was still listed on autotrader when it was booked into the dealer before I took delivery

HTXSkydiver 10-12-2018 10:28 PM

Check eBay SOLD items. They are all at or over MSRP even for used cars with miles. That is the best indicator of market price on any item from a pencil to the space shuttle. Another good indicator is that there are virtually none (if not zero) allocations left for 2019. The ZR1 is almost certainly a single model year car and GM will be unable to meet the demand. Good luck but the listings you are looking at are fake. It is widely documented that most of these sites pull directly from dealer inventory and list sold/ordered cars that were never up for sale, not to mention the advertised prices are completely bogus.

Cue Deb.... :)

3 Z06ZR1 10-12-2018 10:58 PM

Holding pretty well still many going for extra. 57 yesterday on the Autotrader. Good for Corvette's. I like it when the price stays high.

Mr. Gizmo 10-12-2018 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1 (Post 1598150528)
Holding pretty well still many going for extra. 57 yesterday on the Autotrader. Good for Corvette's. I like it when the price stays high.

Dealers better sell these things before the weather turns bad. I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up holding the asphalt down on dealers parking lots ala c4zr1’s in the mid 1990’s. dealers will start dropping prices big time. It certainly does not make sense to buy one of these things with 6 or 10k miles at or near list price. They won’t hold value or have the cult following to keep values high like the gen 5 vipers.

Mr. Gizmo 10-12-2018 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Leadfoot01 (Post 1598150170)
My dealer said exactly the opposite to me yesterday. They have 3 customers that need a car and they spoke to over 30 dealers with cars coming in and virtually all of them refused to release a car. 2 dealers were willing to take $5K over MSRP. Almost all of the cars you’re seeing on autotrader and cars.com are sold orders. This just happened with the Range Autobiography I got a few months back. I ordered the car and it was still listed on autotrader when it was booked into the dealer before I took delivery

Come on dude —- you expect a dealer to tell you the truth- “I have 3 of these spruce gooses sitting on my parking lot and no one with howard hugh’s Type money beating down my door to buy one of these winged Turkey’s ?”

Did a tin siding sales man make a call on you telling you he would like to take a picture of your house as the before picture for their advertisement brochure as your neighbor that just bought beautiful new siding will be the after picture —- but your house can be the after pircture all you have to do is buy new siding.

Ron'sGS 10-13-2018 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by SouthernSon (Post 1598149676)
Let us know when you actually buy one.

:yesnod::iagree:

vetteb_96C 10-13-2018 09:10 AM

I'm still holding out for GMS discount.

Tmill 10-13-2018 09:21 AM

I was in the dealer where i purchased my ZR1 to have the oil changed in my daily driver and was approached by the general manager and was ask if i would sell my car back to them for Sticker because they can Not get any and don't know if they can even fill the orders they have.I will not sell it back to the dealer it may sit in my garage but not interested in selling it..

musclecar6 10-13-2018 09:46 AM

Just like has happened with previous generations, once the C8 starts getting delivered, unless GM continues with C7 production along side the C8 production like Porsche’s 911 and Boxter/Cayman models, the C7 including the ZR1 will become yesterday’s newspapers as the stampede to buy C8 mid engine cars takes off ( and of course the prices for left over/ used C7’s will head south).

When the C7 stingray came out in 2014, there were guys unloading C6 ZR1’s and buying new Stingrays, going from 638 HP in the ZR1 to 460 HP in the Stingray cause the gotta have it fever took over and they lost control. Course it wasn’t too long before the very nice improvements of the C7 generation were over shadowed by the lack of power in the Stingray compared to the C6 ZR1 and then guys were sending their Stingrays to Lingenfelter/ Calloway etc or trading the Stingrays for the 2016 Z06 as soon as it came out.

Odds are the same thing will happen with C8 introduction. The C7 ZR1 is a fantastic street super car and will always have some appeal. That said, time march’s on and the C8 is soon to be the latest shiny toy and the gold rush to get one will take the spot light off the ZR1 and if one is patient, there should be some great buying opportunities with big discounts to come, not too far away. I wouldn’t be surprised to see left over ZR1’s with 145,000 msrp’s going for 120,000 in the next year or so and low mileage mint condition used ones in the 100,000/110,000 range. Course that’s just a guess and maybe values will remain higher like the C6 Z06 did for many years after the initial 20 percent depreciation hit. Only time will tell.

Zjoe6 10-13-2018 10:01 AM

Exact opposite of what I've been seeing. If anything the prices have been rising due to shrinking dealer allocations.

SouthernSon 10-13-2018 10:32 AM

I suppose the price of used 1996 grandsports might enter into the discussion. They are still holding their value above regular production '96 LT4's (by about 3X's). There were only 1,000 grandsports for that one year. Even though it has an iron block, somewhat dubious reputation with the optispark and 'only' 330 hp the collectors are enjoying quite a nice value retention.

As with those few grandsports, the '19 ZR1's will seldom hit the used market in the future.

turbo8765 10-13-2018 10:50 AM

As usual, it's like rennlist but the opposite.

HTXSkydiver 10-13-2018 11:59 AM

Everyone waiting on GMS Discount or "amazing buying opportunities" once the C8 comes out are going to be disappointed. This is a single model year car and GM clearly cannot fill the demand. There will not be "ZR1s holding down the pavement" in dealership parking lots LMAO. Look at the market right now! It's crazy, people paying thousands over MSRP for cars with thousands of miles on the clock. I do not think the ZR1 will hold its value like this in the short term however it has spectacular potential to be a collector car as it will be the most powerful, likely last, FE and manual trans Corvette ever. If you want one of these cars, act fast your time is running out. All of you "3rd year buyers at 25% off MSRP" are going to miss the boat.

HTXSkydiver 10-13-2018 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1598150570)

Dealers better sell these things before the weather turns bad. I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up holding the asphalt down on dealers parking lots ala c4zr1’s in the mid 1990’s. dealers will start dropping prices big time. It certainly does not make sense to buy one of these things with 6 or 10k miles at or near list price. They won’t hold value or have the cult following to keep values high like the gen 5 vipers.

You honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Don't think it will have a "cult following"? How much of a following does the FE Corvette have? This is the ultimate and final FE manual trans corvette ever produced and will be a collector car. Do some research before posting next time, these cars are unobtainable now... there is no volume to support your claim.